• ...and so much more!
  • Platycqb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2017
    Indiana
    Hello,
    For my culture and knowledge, what rules are applying to carrying an AR pistol in your car in Indiana?
    is it considered a handgun (by extension) and forbidden to carry inside the car (if I read the laws correctly)?
    Or is there another status?
    Just curious.

Thank you.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hello,
    For my culture and knowledge, what rules are applying to carrying an AR pistol in your car in Indiana?
    is it considered a handgun (by extension) and forbidden to carry inside the car (if I read the laws correctly)?
    Or is there another status?
    Just curious.

Thank you.

Do you have an LTCH?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    An AR pistol is treated the same as an other pistol in regards to the law. If you have a LTCH, you are fine to have it loaded and accessible. If you don't have a LTCH (go get one), it must be unloaded, in a case of some sort out of the reach (in the trunk) of the driver.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Beyond the legality, there are some practical considerations regarding having an AR pistol in a vehicle. (This is all theoretical, as I have never deployed or fired a gun from inside a vehicle, and hope I never will.)

Accessibility and ease of deployment of an AR vs. a normal pistol.
    Hearing damage from firing one inside a vehicle without ear protection.
    Ability to aim safely and accurately to avoid over-penetration and risk to bystanders, especially if it had to be used one-handed.

If there is time to get out of the vehicle to deploy, wouldn't it be likely that the more prudent course of action in most situations would be to drive away?

Overall, it seems like a "normal" pistol would be easier to store in a vehicle and would be more usable for most scenarios.

Top Bottom