• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I was hunting for parts on Joe Bob and found a bolt that cost $54.95 from Rock River Arms. They also have one from JP it is a enhanced bolt that cost $119.95. Now I understand that the JP is made out of better steel.

My question is how much better is it. You can buy two of the others for the price of one JP. Now I don't know who made the bolt that is in my AR but it has held up well. As far as I know it is just a standard bolt. Will the JP out last the Rock River by two times as long?

As we all know nothing is truly bomb proof but some stuff comes close. Is the JP like that it is built to last a long long long time and the Rock Rive is just a service bolt? They also have one that is made by Kies that has a Nickel Boron finish for $119.95. They claim that the finish is the best. So I guess what I am asking is the Kies or JP worth twice the cost of a Rock River?

Any one have the Rock River bolt and thinks it's junk?

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I bought a black nitrided BCG that had a COLT laser engraved side on it. I knew that Colt stamped their carriers with a strange looking 'C' on one side, and their bolt is marked MPC / HP or HPT.

This one had neither. This one is a chinese FOLT. Don't buy anything but a COLT, BCM, DD, or LMT bolt that is phosphated and MP/HPT tested. I'm in the NDE field, and if I were to test something with wet mag to see if there were cracks, I'd feel much better about it if the part had seen high pressure and come out clean at the end. Oh, and the bolt that came in my 'black nitrolon' bolt was out of spec, had a very very sharp extractor, had it's finish coming off by just removing it. I wish i would have kept it to weigh it, and run PMI tests on it. The point is that you don't know what is under the 'coating' and if the company has no reason to follow any standard, you may be getting unknown materials and testing.

Rock river.. do they HPT? Why spend that much on a bolt when you can get one from BCM for like, 10$ more? Edit: Ok, more like 25$. Still worth it. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-AR15-Bolt-Assembly-MPI-p/bcm bolt assemly mp.htm

BTW, I love my FOLT carrier. But, I won't run the bolt in my rifle. Maybe the carrier, some day.

Last edited:

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Thank you both for the information. I will go with the bolt that has been tested. I see no need to spend big bucks if I don't have to.

Top Bottom