• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have an AR that is a DPMS lower with Stag upper and I am having some serious trouble with mags not dropping free and having to slam them in to get them to lock into place. My buddy also is having the same problem and has a Doublestar lower instead of my DPMS. We both bought Cproducts Stainless mags and we have 40 combined and the majority of the mags are causing the same issue in both rifles. First, the mags won't drop free if you hit the mag release and sometimes you have to yank them out to get them free. Second, when chambering the first round you sometimes get the bullet to jam while feeding up into the chamber as well as an attempted double feed when ejecting the first round manually. Third, with the bolt closed and inserting a new mag you have to slam the mag with the bottom of your hand to get it to seat and latch if it latches at all.

I am open to any advice as I am losing faith in the AR platform pretty quick with all the loading and issues.

thanks

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    okay this is a simple one, if you are both using the same type of MAG in two different rifles, its the MAG, not the rifle. switch to a different type of mag and see if that fixes your problem, more then likely it will. all of the symptoms you described are caused by a bad magazine in most cases, bout 99 percent of the time.

as far as losing faith in the AR platform, the rifle in this case has nothing to do with it, its simply the fact that mags are bad, id put money on that. even though you have 40 of them, its not likely that its the rifle causing the problem, im sure others will agree

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    1) I assume these are 30rd mags? Downloading to 28 will make locking a mag in on a closed bolt much easier.

2) The quality of CProducts mags can be hit or miss. Many of them are :poop:

Have you tried to replicate the failures using other brands/styles of magazines?

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I tried loading 29, 28, and even 20 in the 30 round mags. Also, I tried a couple aluminum mags from another buddy with the same results. I can't find anybody with PMAGS to try one yet unfortunately. I have read some different reviews on the CProducts and it seems that I should have looked at some other than the stainless mags but a lot of people liked them.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Your mag release is out of adjustment...

Take a cleaning rod and push the mag release in until you can turn the mag catch turn it one revolution. Insert mag and try again...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If it's not the magazines, it could be your magazine catch/release, or the combination of the two. It might hold the mags too high.

m4_dave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    North Central IN
    I have a stainless Cproduct mag. It is a POS.It is the only mag that I have ever had that don't work right.I think you should try a diffent mag and see what that does.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    it definately sounds like your mags, mag release is usally not the culrpite.
    try magpul p-mags, that is truly all i use anymore in 20 and 30 rd. mags.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    This is ironic. I now have to slam my mages in to catch too. I don't have any of the other problems though. I am using standard magazines, and MagPul too. Doesn't matter which type of mag I throw in it, I have to slam it in. It falls right out when I want it to though.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I played with my rifle some today and now most of them are dropping free. I have 3 out of 15 that are not working right but they are not slamming in either so I am thinking they are just a little to big. I still have to slam on the bottom of all the mags when loading with the bolt closed. From what I have read it seems that it is common to have to hit the bottom of the mags to load on a closed bolt. I do not have to hit them to load the mag with the bolt open.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Might be the cold. My AR (DPMS) has no issues at all in the spring/summer/fall, however this winter for the first time would even load colt 20rnd mags and had a tough time loading a GI 30 rounder. HTH

Top Bottom