• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heffe3434

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    NE Indianapolis
    OK I know absolutely nothing about AR's. I have several 22 lr's and a couple hi power rifles. I have been intrigued by AR's but never got the itch.....until now. Here is where I need the help. Who make a good one, should I go custom or factory, who makes a bad one?
    :ar15::ar15:

troy28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Behind the crosshairs
    FYI You are entering a world fueled by personal preferences and everyone has an opinion. I would also suggest as you shop for your first AR you may as well start shopping for your 2nd and 3rd AR configuration now as well.

I would recommend checking out Spikes Tactical. Great people to work with, stand behind their product, put customer service first, good quality, and typically cost effective. You can get an off the shelf or configure your own and they'll build it for you for free if you do not want to. If they interest you check out their site but, give them a phone call and just let them know what you are thinking about. They'll help with questions and offer suggestions. Good luck and well to the club.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    The AR world is like all the rest...my brand is better than your brand. blah blah blah....in some cases that may be true. In my case I bought an M&P Sport to start off with...cheap, basic, bare bones, reliable, shoots straight, goes bang. I will build the next 3 or 4 LOL and I will probably go middle of the road on pricing...I'm not dedicated to one brand or another. I'll try it and if I hate it, chances are there is someone who loves it and will trade or buy it so I can try again. I don't think you'll be disappointed in any of the brands you've mentioned. Good Luck and welcome to the disease

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Dunno about that. Is Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne still in business? <<shudder>>

Bottom line - ALL manufacturers produce a lemon on occasion; the only difference is how often it happens, and how they deal with it when it does.

Good point, I had forgotten about Blackthorne. :noway: Let me rephrase by saying most major companies make great rifles. :)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    What will you be doing with the rifle? Do you have a specific budget in mind? (Remember to factor in accessories, such as cases/slings/optic and other items in mind when thinking about budget) What distance would you intend to use the gun at? These are all things to think about when evaluating make/model, etc.

Haikufunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Sometimes it is beneficial to build the lower yourself. It allows you to understand how the rifle functions, and it may be beneficial in regards to troubleshooting. However, unless you find really good deals you will most likely not save any money when compared to buying a complete rifle. And as always, "buy once, cry once."

Travis Daniel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    honestly they are all very similiar. just like most guns you are usually just paying for the name on it. I personally like my Rock river. I wouldn't trade it for the world but I have a lot of time in getting it set up to me and putting the accesories on it that I wanted.

Top Bottom