• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I've used both and went back to a shorty vert grip. I used the AFG1 for about a year and found that with my body geometry and slightly smaller hands I couldn't get my support hand close enough to the center of the bore when offhand for adequate control while engaging multiple targets. Only analogy I can think of is "Holding a boat by the keel".
    When using the short vert grip I am able to get into prone easier and with a better position. I keep my vert grip close to receiver and use it as a handstop for grabbing the handguard.

fveqfa.jpg

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    It really just depends on the grip you use for your support hand.

If you do the MagPul style grip with your thumb up and over the AFG works better. If you use a foregrip more like a handstop or grip it like an actual grip the Vertical Grip would work better

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    would it be silly to have both, the AFG for longer shots and vert grip for close up work?

I've already got an AFG2 and ordered a Magpul short grip to test out what I like.

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    I just got the AFG and think it feels not so ergo. It just doesn't feel like a natural grip. I was thinking about securing it to the right side of the rail to see how that changes things. So far, I'm not impressed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A stubby vertical grip is more versatile.

I usually grip the foreend with my support hand as much like my pistol shooting grip as possible. That means thumb on side, pointing forward, wrist canted forward, and using the vert grip to block my hand. When I fire a lot of rounds, though, the gun gets really hot in that area and I can move my hand to the vert grip to minimize burning issues.

I'd prefer to have my vert grip farther forward, but when I have it all the way at the front, I burn myself too often. Someday I'll go with a longer handguard.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I think the AFG works best the farther it is from the lower receiver. That allows you to extend your support arm further and makes the grip feel more natural. It was designed for the (pardon the term) "Magpul" grip that has the support arm almost locked straight, and the thumb up and over the hand guard.

I found that the closer I placed it to the lower, the more awkward it felt. I eventually ditched it, and went with a small OD handguard (Troy extreme) that I could still grip with my thumb up and over, but felt much more comfortable.

The other thing I noticed is that it was a rock solid grip system and allowed me to point my arm and body to naturally square up to a target. However, it was also a bit awkward to use from other shooting positions such as seated and kneeling, and also including weak side transitions. I found myself using a magwell grip in a number for those situations.

If I were to get another forward grip, it would probably be a short vertical grip that acted more as an index than anything.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I've tried just about everything they've made. I keep going back to the good old KAC VFG.
    I usually cut them down a bit. Or my other fav is the LaRue FUG in the short configuration.

What works for me may not work for you. Like everything else you will have to try 'em out yourself. Don't ya just love BRD :):

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I like the Magpul, but it doesnt go against my grip. This is one of those " to each his own" situations. I have tried both and can use both. I like the Magpul as it doesnt descend as far and I hook my thumb on my sling swivel in front anyway.

Top Bottom