• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    hello all im in the process of "building" my first AR-15 as of now just choosing parts, I have 3 brands im looking at seekins precision, black rain ordinance, and LWCR I know they do not sell lowers but have complete rifles, if anybody has had them before how do you like them? im building to have a quality weapon with parts I want and features I want, this gun will be my home defense and shtf gun, any help would be appreciated thanks

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I can only add tomyour confusion and also suggest bravo company (bcm).
    I have a black rain lower that i just finished in my parts build and i love it.
    all of those companies you mentioned are great.

Jdubbs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Dearborn County
    I assume you mean lwrc. I have one of their m6 rifles and in my opinion its built pretty well. Its a safe queen for the money i have in it, but i wanted to splurge once on a good quality ar for once. Ive had no problems with it, except the price tag.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I have used Midwest I think, but I don't remember what I got from them. I would say they were alright to deal with as I don't really remember it. If they sucked, I would have remembered every aspect about it and been pissed off every day sense. So, I think ur good to go.

XWARPATHX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2013
    NWI
    Was thinking about getting a MI handguard to replace my cheap plastic one I have on my bushmaster right now. Liking their selection of parts.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    I don't know how anybody starts a build, just choosing a lower is driving me crazy, I like seekins, black rain, and now I'm told to check out Midwest industries, my goal for this build is $2000/2500 just want a gun that will survive shtf and anything else I need it to do, I want it strong and able to get kicked around and still shoot straight,

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I don't know how anybody starts a build, just choosing a lower is driving me crazy, I like seekins, black rain, and now I'm told to check out Midwest industries, my goal for this build is $2000/2500 just want a gun that will survive shtf and anything else I need it to do, I want it strong and able to get kicked around and still shoot straight,

If this is your first AR I would seriously reconsider that budget, unless you are in a situation that allows you to blow that kind of money and not regret it later. Once you get into the AR game, your tastes will change. IMHO, start out with a lower end gun ( sub 800 bucks) and shoot it for a while, then decide on what you really like and dislike about the gun before you build your high end one. Many different configurations for many different applications, and sometimes newer owners aren't sure what they need or want.

Having said that, spend a lot of time researching, with that kind of budget, you can build a truly excellent AR.

ETA: Picking the lower is the hardest part! Unless you go billett, it is all about the roll mark! :cool:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Well I think the rifles you are looking at are fantastic, I've always loved LWRC rifles and think the others you mentioned are also great... I would not hesitate to buy from any of them if it fit the bill for what I wanted.
    That being said, if you are trying to prepare for shtf like I see in your last post here, you may want to instead buy two rifles. You also will obviously want to have parts on hand. No rifle is immune to breaking. Many people I know say that two one, and one is none. Just some food for thought if your main drive for having it is shtf... If not buy what you want, it'll be a sweet rifle. I am not trying to influence your purchase for say, just wanting to make sure you're covering the bases and all.

And I kind of agree with the guy above. Stuff always changes as far as what you like when you're new. But then again that might also solve your issue of having multiple rifles!
    And most of the time the KISS method should be followed when building your rifle.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Thank you both for ur input and electronrider maybe ur right, get a good gun and "add on" stuff I want and see how I like it, I hope this solves my headache of choosing parts until I learn wut I want, maybe I can get 2 guns, if I had the funds I just build each gun from the companies I like lol, I just hope to have a great gun

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Thank you both for ur input and electronrider maybe ur right, get a good gun and "add on" stuff I want and see how I like it, I hope this solves my headache of choosing parts until I learn wut I want, maybe I can get 2 guns, if I had the funds I just build each gun from the companies I like lol, I just hope to have a great gun

This is good thinking here. I was going to suggest something similar, especially considering your budget.
    You COULD get a 16" build, and then do a 20" or 24" varmint/target gun (or just the upper also)
    or
    you could get one in 5.56 and one in 300 blackout or another AR caliber

If I were you, I would (1) go out and get one gun that YOU like (aesthetically/functionally) and is from a reputable manufacturer, (2) buy a good supply of ammo and perhaps a $200-400 optic, (3) take a carbine course or two, and THEN (4) consider how you want to change your gun. You could even just buy a 2nd assembled upper and then pick and choose your lower to end up with 2 complete guns.

I just finished an 18" hunting AR which I love, but it is certainly on the heavy side, and with a big optic it's not conducive to run-n-gun type shooting.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I would stay 556/223, get your rifle and a lot of ammo! Heck go train with one, then you'll really know what you do and don't want in a rifle!

Top Bottom