• kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Sellersburg
    After having a conversion with a gentlemen at gander mountain
    iv got the AR bug
    he told me i could build an AR from the ground up for around 600-650 with optics

i know little to nothing about the AR platform but like the idea of a build project

so my questions are
    who makes cheap reliable parts?
    can someone post up a complete parts list of what i would need?
    how picky is the AR platform about cleanliness?
    any advice on a future AR owner?

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Sellersburg
    That seems a little low to me. I'd say $800.

What do you plan to do with the rifle?
    Do you have a "look" that you are wanting to achieve?

my rifle uses would be target and varmint shooting
    the varmint shooting would take place in Arkansas at my father in laws

another question i have is
    what makes this AR platform...Ruger® SR-556® Autoloading Rifle
    better than others (i would also include the SIG 556 in this question as well)

Rickshaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    I would recommend buying a complete lower then add upper, bolt and bolt carrier, and type stock you desire. All for about 600-800 dollars. I have two AR's that I put together this way. Saved major cash.

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Sellersburg
    I would recommend buying a complete lower then add upper, bolt and bolt carrier, and type stock you desire. All for about 600-800 dollars. I have two AR's that I put together this way. Saved major cash.

awesome
    thanks for the tip
    another question for you all
    i am also consider buying one in a 6.8mm platform
    how much does that bump up the price?
    the reason i would buy one in this cal. would be for deer hunting (in Arkansas where rifle hunting is legal)
    any thoughts on this?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Ok got ya. I built mine to be more tacticool but you start at the same place.

Stripped lower receiver- there are MANY out there
    Lower parts kit-
    buffer, buffer tube, stock
    upper reciever
    barrel
    bolt carrier group

I prolly missed something.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    My advice:
    Cheap and reliable seem to be mutually exclusive when it comes to building your own.
    You can get some cheap parts and build a cheap gun but you are taking a HUGE chance thinking it will be reliable.
    6.8 rounds run about a $1 a round. Why would you spend that much to shoot and look for a cheap AR?

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Sellersburg
    My advice:
    Cheap and reliable seem to be mutually exclusive when it comes to building your own.
    You can get some cheap parts and build a cheap gun but you are taking a HUGE chance thinking it will be reliable.
    6.8 rounds run about a $1 a round. Why would you spend that much to shoot and look for a cheap AR?

hmmm good point on the 6.8 round
    i should probably reserve the higher power rounds for a bolt action for hunting and stick to 5.56/.223 for varmint and target

AccuRat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Just north of nowhere...
    Rock River cuts a Wylde chamber in some of their barrels. Allows you to shoot both .223 and 5.56 and still maintain reasonable accuracy.

If you're talking target/varmint vs plinking, you owe it to yourself to scrape and save for a Rock River National Match trigger. One of the single best improvements you can make to your AR for less than $100.

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Sellersburg
    Rock River cuts a Wylde chamber in some of their barrels. Allows you to shoot both .223 and 5.56 and still maintain reasonable accuracy.

this is the first i am hearing about shooting 5.56 and .223 will decrease accuracy
    if i get a set of nice 5.56 uppers will the .223 be lacking?

AccuRat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Just north of nowhere...
    Depends. If you want supreme accuracy, match your chamber to your ammunition, i.e., .223 chamber, .223 ammunition. I fire .223 in my 5.56 chamber and get split shoulders and accuracy in the 2 inch range.

If you're looking to shoot large quantities of bulk surplus, i.e. Wolf, Barnual, Bear, Prvi or whatever, get a NATO 5.56 chamber. If you're looking for precision accuracy, get the Wylde chamber at a minimum and, ideally, .223 Remington. There's TONS of .223 out there to choose from as just a slight premium over "surplus" 5.56 and a huge choice of bullets.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    awesome
    thanks for the tip
    another question for you all
    i am also consider buying one in a 6.8mm platform
    how much does that bump up the price?
    the reason i would buy one in this cal. would be for deer hunting (in Arkansas where rifle hunting is legal)
    any thoughts on this?

Assume you can buy the parts for a lower, or you buy a complete lower, the cost for a very basic set up will be roughly $250. Want to trick it out and the costs can hit $1000 for just the lower. But its not unreasonable to put together a basic no-frills AR for roughly $650.

For the 6.8 upper, easiest way to do that is to buy a built upper, costs range from about $369 for a Blackthorn (poor reputation brand) to $1000 for a well made upper.

Same is pretty much true for a 5.56 upper. Simple M4 type will start around $350 but the sky is the limit depending on what you want to do to it. Want a stainless target grade barrel, that alone will run you $300 to $500 without any other parts.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    6.8 SPC

shot a friends RRA 6.8 upper on his Ruger lower the other day. Rapped off 5 rounds as fast as I could aquire the tgt at 100 yds off a couple sand bags and got a nice 1" group. 3x9 nikon in a pepr mount. I like the RRA equipment. and the six point eight seems like it would be a fine medium range deer cartridge.:yesway: Cheap can be good but quality that you bet your life on is worth the extra bucks. At least I believe so.;)

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    shot a friends RRA 6.8 upper on his Ruger lower the other day. Rapped off 5 rounds as fast as I could aquire the tgt at 100 yds off a couple sand bags and got a nice 1" group. 3x9 nikon in a pepr mount. I like the RRA equipment. and the six point eight seems like it would be a fine medium range deer cartridge.:yesway: Cheap can be good but quality that you bet your life on is worth the extra bucks. At least I believe so.;)

I have never shot at a deer from sandbags. Tell me how you get them to stay still while you get set up so you can shoot your one inch groups?

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Sellersburg
    I have never shot at a deer from sandbags. Tell me how you get them to stay still while you get set up so you can shoot your one inch groups?

lol when does anyone have that kind of time on a deer shot ;)
    but if the round can put them down, then i guess thats a good start
    which is why i also have considered building an AR-10
    maybe ill just have to build two rifles
    one 5.56/.223 for target and little critters
    and another in .308 or 6.8 for deer and shooting through car doors!!!!

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Sellersburg
    What about barrels?
    will a 16in do just fine for up to 300 yards for killing critters and target shooting?
    i dont quite understand the twist rate ratio's 1/9 1/7 etc
    can someone explain that for me
    and maybe suggest what i should look for

Top Bottom