• ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    what is your budget?

colt 6920 is a great first AR, but will run you about $1100. Spike's Tactical is a bit more budget oriented. Del-ton is another option.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I'll leave it to somebody else to make a recommendation to you, as there are more knowledgable posters than myself that can help you more. However, you need to post more information. What's your budget? What role will the rifle fill? 5.56x45/.223? .22LR? 6.5 Grendel? 6.8 SPC?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    shop the sales, girlfriend.

What were you looking to trade? Hit the classifieds here and places like AR15.com, snipers hide, long range hunting, etc. If you're patient and wait for used pieces and sales you'll come out $ ahead. I'm kinda jonesing to try a spikes tactical. I've got a DPMS .308 you could have for a grand.:D If you're into that sort of thing.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Provided you can get one, I'm a huge fan of rock river arms.

Putting one side by side with a colt, I think you'll be shocked at how much more solid and refined of a rifle the RRA is. Their match trigger is also just about perfect.

You'll pay a heck of a lot less for a loaded RRA than you will for other brands too. With a cheap 1-4x scope, my first time at the 100 yard range was with my RRA, and it was grouping 1-2 inches. Keeping in mind that's the first time I've ever attempted pushing out any distance at all, and that was my first AR15.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    Buy a Noveske and look down at everyone else. What you know you want to be like me. That being said buy one that fits your bill if you are gonna get one and never use it buy what ever you want that is cheap. Or if you wanna try it out buy a cheaper one and if you love it parts can be swapped or sell the gun and buy a higher quality one after you are sure its the gun for you.

mikeplan14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have owned Rock River Arms, Colt, and Smith & Wesson ARs. Hands down, Rock River takes the cake! Their quality is excellent, their 2-stage (stock) triggers are awesome (as mentioned above), and the price is hard to beat... My next AR will be another Rock River

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i own several manufacturer types of AR's and have owned many more in the past, and I will also say that Rock River is superb especially for the money. Spikes is also, but they are starting to go up in price and also the wait is a bit ridiculous. Also I REALLY love the smith & wesson M&P 15. very good quality at an affordable price.

Usually its the guys who dump the most cash into their AR's are the ones who are the most vocal about how much better their AR's are than a $700 or $800 AR. I bet their $2k AR's could be out shot with a plain jane olympic arms AR 80% of the time. some would be lack of skill, and some would be, they paid for a inflated name. (not saying there arent AR's actually worth $2k, but some arent)

Last edited:

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    ar's do seem to have an extraordinary amount of snobbery around them. I have owned several over the years, but I will say this the only ones I still have are the ones I build with a mismatch of parts exactly the way I wanted them.

I think for the quality vs money s&w and RRA are hard to beat. I would also put them in that order, my RRA experience was not perfect its the only ar i have owned that the trigger and hammer walked out, and the hammer spring was a little on the weaker side. but these were easily rectified my best bud has the gun to this day.

my advise is buy with in you budget so that you can afford to shoot it, because after all that's what they are for :twocents:

don't be afraid of places like model 1 if you build it your self, go to the 1500 inspect the upper you want if all looks good I would have faith in it. my highest round count ar has a model 1 upper on it (+/- 4k) not bad for 350 bucks

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i own several manufacturer types of AR's and have owned many more in the past, and I will also say that Rock River is superb especially for the money. Spikes is also, but they are starting to go up in price and also the wait is a bit ridiculous. Also I REALLY love the smith & wesson M&P 15. very good quality at an affordable price.

Usually its the guys who dump the most cash into their AR's are the ones who are the most vocal about how much better their AR's are than a $700 or $800 AR. I bet their $2k AR's could be out shot with a plain jane olympic arms AR 80% of the time. some would be lack of skill, and some would be, they paid for a inflated name. (not saying there arent AR's actually worth $2k, but some arent)

and there are also guys who think they're $500 cast Oly is the same quality as a 6920. They look alike right? And when I fired 30 rounds once a month, they both go boom right? they must be the same.....:laugh:

I liken ARs to Les Pauls. Sometimes, the guy with the Gibson tries to justify spending $2500 by saying Epiphones are crap. Sometimes the guy with the Epiphone is a little jealous that he couldn't afford the Gibson. Most people will agree that a Gibson IS better than an Epiphone. But is it 5 times better is the question ($500 vs $2500).

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I think im going to start hunting down a Rock River. I think thats my best bet or a bushmaster. :dunno:

:twocents:

What is your hurry?

Stop and educate yourself, for the same money most shops sell RRA or Bushmasters for you can buy a lot better rifle.

Take you time, get on every AR forum you can find. Read, read, and read some more. Educate yourself, then take the knowledge you learn with you to the toy store.

Take what every Bubba on the forums says with a grain of salt.

Top Bottom