• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I know a lot of you don't like SKS rifles, but it's what I have.

Does anyone know of a stock that looks similar to the AR15? Maybe just a good looking black stock?

The wood stock just doesn't do it for me.

Scam1789

Long time Member mostly lurking.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsboro
    Last edited:

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Search is our friend: CLICK HERE -----> "sks stocks" - Google Search ;)

BTW - I for one like SKSs. They are a tough utilitarian battle rifle. :yesway:
    :cheers:

I googled it and I have several stocks bookmarked. I won't make a post without doing my research first.

Just figured there's a wealth of information here and someone may know of something I didn't see. With all the AR fans I figured there may be a specific AR-style stock designed for the SKS and someone here might know of it.

The T6 is definitely one of the better ones I saw. Thanks!

Scam1789

Long time Member mostly lurking.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsboro
    Reasoning? Are the stocks low quality?

They are great quality, but they aren't going to add anything useful to your SKS. If you refinish the wood, it can beautiful. I have found there are two very different schools of thought on aftermarket stocks for older rifles. I have a folding stock for my SKS, and I love it. But some see that as a sin.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Anyone bashing Tapco stocks haven't used them. I have one on my Norico and 2 son to be 3 tapco 20rnd mags and it's GREAT! It gives you the option to mount a bipod that won't mess with barrel harmonics, option to put a forward red dot sight on the gas block, 6 posistion butt stock, and it's less heart breaking to drill into the sides for extra mounts or what not. Here's mine and I like it better than the wood stock.

The Scope and mount have since been removed because of securing issues. It wobbled. Also I don't have the gas block guard attached. I left the metal one on because I like the looks better. I may switch it out though.

ImprovedSKS001.jpg

ImprovedSKS004.jpg

Now i don't recommend ATI folding stocks. Those are very low quality. I had an ATI folder on this when I bought it. No woodstock. The buttstock will woble on you and it's not very secure. The Tapco is the best aftermarker stock I've ever shot on an SKS IMHO.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I do have one problem with the TAPCO stock. There's no way for the bolt to lock back unless you're using the fixed magazine. This could prove to be problematic if the rifle has to be used for it's intended purpose. Speed reloads on an SKS are cumbersome at best... not having a locking bolt makes it even more so.

If the rifle's owner must use the TAPCO stock for any reason, I would highly recommend using a fixed magazine. If you must use the detachables, make sure you can get behind cover before reloading.

Last edited:

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Scam1789 said:
    They are great quality, but they aren't going to add anything useful to your SKS. If you refinish the wood, it can beautiful. I have found there are two very different schools of thought on aftermarket stocks for older rifles. I have a folding stock for my SKS, and I love it. But some see that as a sin.

Makes sense. It's a matter of personal preference, and I like the black stock look. I'm certainly not averse to buying another and keeping the wood stock, and I'll definitely keep the stock as a spare either way.

SavageEagle said:
    Now i don't recommend ATI folding stocks. Those are very low quality. I had an ATI folder on this when I bought it. No woodstock. The buttstock will woble on you and it's not very secure. The Tapco is the best aftermarker stock I've ever shot on an SKS IMHO.

Thank you! That's a really nice looking SKS you've got.

SilentWarrior1 said:
    If the rifle's owner must use the TAPCO stock for any reason, I would highly recommend using a fixed magazine. If you must use the detachables, make sure you can get behind cover before reloading.

Fair enough. Thanks for the heads up!

nobletucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have Tapco hardware a couple of my Norincos, and I have nothing bad to say. I even tried a Tapco trigger assmbly in one of my AKs- no problems. There are "off brands" that mimic Tapco,... stay away.
    Coming from someone who owns and who has first hand experience w/ Tapco furniture- good buy. I know what you mean when you say the wood stock just doesn't do it for ya.
    Here is a few picts of an assembly I just completed- Sorry I'm not a profes. photographer. Norinco SKS
    th_sk2.jpg
    th_DSC07598.jpg
    th_DSC07599.jpg
    th_DSC07600.jpg
    th_DSC07601.jpg

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Nobletucky, I love your Tan Norinco. I think I just might put that gasblock handguard on. What is that? 40rnder?

Nick makes a good point. The detachables are slower to reload, but if you already have your bolt locked back it takes half a second or so more to get it clipped in and shooting compared to an AK. It's almost as fast except it has to slide into a catch and then the back clip has to close for it to be properly aligned. Easier than it sounds. With practice it's not so bad. The bolt holds back after the final shot of the mag so switching mags is a breeze.

Whatever you do to it post some pics! We all love to compare SKS's! :D

nobletucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Its a thirty (30)
    Seems that the closer you move the handgrip to the mag, the longer/ larger the mag looks. Part of my trick photography.
    The topside handguard or gasblock handguard I keep on all the time. The factory guards tend to rust very easily even when oiled and waxed. I just decided to strip off all original parts, wrap them up after a good wax job, and save them in case I was to ever sell the SKS, and I would then sell ALL matching numbers as a complete unit.
    You just can't beat the Avtomat Kalashnikovadesign and mechanics!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm not sure I understand the comment about the bolt hold open. The stock has nothing to do with that...its all in the mag follower. The Tapco mags do have the tip on the back of the follower that engage the BHO.

I look at it as a chance to provide slightly better ergonomics for the rifle (pistol grip and length of pull) if the wood stock just doesn't fit a person right. If the traditional monte carlo design is ideal for a short range carbine, why did the AK, AR, and others adopt the pistol grip arrangement? :dunno:

Second, it is a completely reversable modification, so a person can keep the original wood stock and refinish it if they want to go back to the original configuration.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I'm not sure I understand the comment about the bolt hold open. The stock has nothing to do with that...its all in the mag follower. The Tapco mags do have the tip on the back of the follower that engage the BHO.

I look at it as a chance to provide slightly better ergonomics for the rifle (pistol grip and length of pull) if the wood stock just doesn't fit a person right. If the traditional monte carlo design is ideal for a short range carbine, why did the AK, AR, and others adopt the pistol grip arrangement? :dunno:

Second, it is a completely reversable modification, so a person can keep the original wood stock and refinish it if they want to go back to the original configuration.

Ditto...I'll keep all the original stuff if I want to restore it to factory condition.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Uniquenateo
    Top Bottom