• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I am just curious and I know this is a basic question I risk getting flamed on....but anyhow. If you buy any complete lower and any complete upper, does that make an entire weapon? I understand the stock and mags may or may not be with lower but is there other parts....

I have always wanted one of these and as close as I got was a Mini 14.

jcharrison05

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Richmond
    Well a complete lower should have a stock buffer tube buffer and spring and some uppers are sold with or with the bolt carrier group so you will have to watch for that but as long as you get a complete lower and a complete upper with bolt carrier group you will have a complete rifle just grab some mags and ammo and your ready to rock. Everyone has to start somewhere. But be warned its an addiction.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    JCharrison, That was my concern, Bolt Carrier Group, what does that consist of? I have looked at videos and on line but still don't quite understand it.

If I ever end up with an AR I will definitely have a qualified person with me the first time out to fire it. I would probably struggle to chamber the first round without being shown how to operate it.

CADDAC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Westfield
    I my self am new to the ar world. getting ready to attempt my first build, i found a lower from a friend but my understanding of the bcg be it still new info, it houses the firing pin which is ever so impotent. As i will be attempting to build a complete rifle i am sure i will learn more when i get to that stage.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It's basically the heart of the rifle. It consists of the bolt, firing pin, extractor, ejector, and other little parts to make it work. It recocks the hammer and strips the next round off the magazine. Google an image of "AR BCG", you'll see what it looks like. If you buy a group, it will be complete, though there are a couple of things to look out for. Get into that later. You'll also need the charging handle. BCGs seem to be a little thin on the ground lately, so you may have plenty of opportunity to learn while you're waiting. Brownell's has an excellent set of videos covering assembly and whatnot.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Thanks for info..now will any BCG fit any lower and upper. I went ahead and seen what charging handle is, should that normally be a part of complete upper or lower or neither?

Thanks for teaching me a little about these.

jcharrison05

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Richmond
    Uppers are caliber specific most common is 5.56/.223 so you can only shoot these calibers, same with the bolt carrier group and lowers can be multi caliber or caliber specific just pay attention when shopping and if you buy an upper with bolt carrier group it should come with a charging handle. Might recommend buying a complete rifle the first time to get familiar with it then build the next one or just do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The .223/5.56 are the default calibers, but you can get a couple dozen different ones, some with different bolt faces. Don't even worry about that until you're a little farther along. Baby steps. The barrel should be stamped for caliber. If it says 5.56, or .223/5.56, or .223 Wylde, 5.56 is good to go. If it doesn't say anything, you're best of with .223, and if it says .223 and nothing else, that's all you can use. Either will fit either rifle; there is only a very subtle tweak in the profile. The 5.56, however, has a good bit higher pressure, so you want a barrel designed for it. The stamp should be under the handguard, which is usually removable without tools.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Oh, and, yes, without a charging handle, your rifle is a non starter. It's not always included with the BCG, so pay attention.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I think you gave me some good advice on buying a complete for first time....this all seems so simple but I am sure it is a little complicated to get the hang of.

Thanks

jcharrison05

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Richmond
    It sounds like a lot but once you get familiar with the platform you will get it in no time. If you decide you want to build buy a complete upper with bolt carrier group and charging handle and then build your lower. There's a ton of videos on YouTube or brownells gun builder is quite helpful. Keep researching you will get there. If you ever get in the Hagerstown/ new castle area I'd be happy to show you my current build maybe take it to the range and get familiar with it and answer any questions you have. I learned a lot from the help of Ingo guys and the World Wide Web.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    If I may make a suggestion, find a buddy that has an AR and have him show you the ropes, take it to the range and fire a few. If not, do plenty of research and more research. They're are easy to operate and fun! I started with a complete rifle, figured out the mechanics and built a few. Parts are a little scarce right now but they'll pop back up.

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    I think you gave me some good advice on buying a complete for first time....this all seems so simple but I am sure it is a little complicated to get the hang of.

Thanks

We teach kids straight out of high school how these operate in basic training every day, I have confidence you will get it. I might suggest an in depth tour of the Windham Weaponry website. Check their shopping area to learn nomenclature and what the parts look like, read their newsletters etc. They do a pretty good job on passive education. Have fun!
    LS6

jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    ITS Tactical also has a really nice series on YouTube that walks through all of the steps for building an AR. I am in the process of building my first and have been using their video series as a guide.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxkQAKkhSjs[/ame]

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I picked up a Colt M4 about a month ago*, and it's kinda interesting. The box label from Colt says .223, but the lower is stamped 5.56.

*Sadly though, it was lost in a tragic boating accident, and sank to the bottom. No More Colt......:(

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I picked up a Colt M4 about a month ago*, and it's kinda interesting. The box label from Colt says .223, but the lower is stamped 5.56.

*Sadly though, it was lost in a tragic boating accident, and sank to the bottom. No More Colt......:(
    Then it's just as well that you lost that firearm ;) else that lower stamping might have tempted you to start habitually feeding 5.56 through that .223 upper, leading to the possibility of "explosive disassembly".

Top Bottom