• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I am interested in getting feedback from folks on what their preferred barrels are for an AR15. I am building one and am at the point where I need to decide what barrel I want to use. This is my first build so any guidance would be appreciated.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    You need to give a little more info on what your plans are for this build. If you are building a precision rifle you will be looking at a different barrel than if you just want to build a rifle to burn up ammo. Right now barrels are slim picking, so you may have to settle for what you can get.

jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Sorry, I should have provided more details. My plans are to build a precision rifle that I can take to the range and shot longer range. I was thinking that I would want to go with a 20 inch barrel. Ideally, I would like to get one with a 1:7 twist. I have a Spikes Tactical lower and just bought a stripped upper from AeroPrecision.

kbailey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette
    My vote would be for a Rainier Arms Ultra Match, a White Oak Armament, or Noveske barrel.

All can be found at Rainier Arms, however they are all out of stock at the moment.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    1-7 or 1-8 twist, heavy barrel. best you can afford, or FIND . get a free float tube to begin with ,you'll love yourself for it. groups will be much better!

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    The last one that I purchased was a Noveske Match 18" with 1in7 twist mounted free float. It was for the same purpose, and I am very happy with it. With the right ammo I will have shots touching at 100 yards. I have a RR match 2 stage trigger that also helps.

It is so much fun to build, and then experiment with different ammo to get the best results. Have fun!!

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    Another big recommendation for Frank White at Compass Lake, I have bought both Douglas and Kreiger fom him. Franks machining is so precise that when a friend changed out his old Compass Lake barrel for a new one his sight dope was exactly the same.
    I couldn't tell the diff between my Douglass and Krieger, next time I'll save the money and buy another Douglass.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I've got an 18" 1:8 Rifle Length Gas SS HBAR by Black Hole Weaponry on my SPRgery...its sub-MOA with Hornady 75gr Steel Match ammo and shoots half-MOA 5-shot groups with 77gr Nosler CCs and 8208XBR.

Top Bottom