• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    No not at all that is why I am asking, also been looking at the Springfield M1A Loaded. Guess I should have mentioned that.

I really like my M1A.

I have the "Scout-Squad" model, which comes equipped with the eighteen-inch barrel and a "scout"-type optic mount (forward of the receiver). I removed the optic mount and installed a walnut upper hand guard from Boyd's. I like the wood-and-steel feel of the rifle, and I love the Garand-Style sights.

It's heavy...there's that.

But every time I take it to the range I have people ask to shoot it. Everybody has an AR.

If we can work out the logistics, you are welcome to shoot my M1A.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My neighbor built his own for $700 using PSA. He loves it.

That's what I did. A little under $700 before adding a scope and mount. I love mine too.

OP, one thing to keep in mind... AR-10s ("real" AR-10s (Armalite) that is) use proprietary magazines and some other parts. For whatever reason, they're not interchangeable in the same way that AR-15s are. If you go this route, you might want to look for one that is a DPMS pattern rifle (like the PSA). It makes it a little easier to find mags and parts.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    That's what I did. A little under $700 before adding a scope and mount. I love mine too.

OP, one thing to keep in mind... AR-10s ("real" AR-10s (Armalite) that is) use proprietary magazines and some other parts. For whatever reason, they're not interchangeable in the same way that AR-15s are. If you go this route, you might want to look for one that is a DPMS pattern rifle (like the PSA). It makes it a little easier to find mags and parts.
    This...This...This..

I have the Armalite AR10-4 and every part on it is propriotary.
    A few months back I thought about making it more "Tactical". Nope, no affordable parts around for them. I'm going to copy DoggyDaddy and build one on the DPMS platform.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Don't do an AR-10, get a 308 AR.

don't do a Rock River 308, they have more proprietary parts then an AR-10 and they weight more than the old school tank like DPMS 308s.

Adams Arms makes a slick 308 AR that's not super expensive, and it's piston. The S&W M&P10 is kinda slick but has a couple proprietary parts, or at least according to S&W it does

Could probably find a used Gen 3 POF P308 for under $2k

Or you could put together a nice one using Aero Precision or Mega receivers, Rainier or Ballistic Advantage barrels, etc.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Don't do an AR-10, get a 308 AR.

don't do a Rock River 308, they have more proprietary parts then an AR-10 and they weight more than the old school tank like DPMS 308s.

Adams Arms makes a slick 308 AR that's not super expensive, and it's piston. The S&W M&P10 is kinda slick but has a couple proprietary parts, or at least according to S&W it does

Could probably find a used Gen 3 POF P308 for under $2k

Or you could put together a nice one using Aero Precision or Mega receivers, Rainier or Ballistic Advantage barrels, etc.

I think this might be the way you should go!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I cannot speak from owning it, but I've heard that the G2 works well. I personally however would probably go with the midwest industries rifle if I were to buy one today.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg

Exactly....The RRA doesn't accept pmags. AR variants in 308 can be a nightmare. Where there is no "standard" footprint for parts and receivers. If I were to buy a complete factory AR in 308, it'd be the G2.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have the 1st generation DPMS LRT SASS in .308.
    I love the way it shoots, to P.O.A.
    The only drawback is the weight.
    It weighs enough that I don't want to drag it through the woods.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I've had a number of the 1st gen LR308 rifles and all have performed very well. I wouldn't be afraid to have another one at all and they can be had for very reasonable money. With that said id really like to try one of the G2 rifles have heard very good things about them. Also would like to try one of the M&P 10s, have heard a lot of good things about those rifles. As will all the variants if your wanting accessories to put on your rifle you better stick with the DPMS although you can get some stuff the DPMS has way more options.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I have the DPMS AP-4. It runs great and I really enjoy shooting it but, the accuracy isn't what I expected. About best I can get is 4MOA. I'm sure others could improve on this but I doubt anyone is going to get it under 2MOA.

Matt

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    Go with the DPMS style AR 308
    I have a 24" DPMS bull barrel that shoots 1/4 to 3/4 moa
    I just built 2 with PSA lowers and 18" Alexandria Pro-Fab uppers and both of them are shooting under 1 moa and I have not worked up loads for them yet.
    I like the AR 308 so much that I sold my 3 M1A's. I love the M1A but they just do not shoot like the AR 308.
    Being old school I am considering a side charging set-up

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I contacted DPMS today to see if I could swap out my AP4 barrel for the 24" bull barrel.
    They replied, "we will be selling replacement barrels soon".

Matt

Top Bottom