Applied for LTCH on the 2nd of june, sent papers in myself.?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kyle1058

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Noble County
    I have read a couple other threads where the local authority sends in the application and the fingerprint card for you? When i applied for mine on the 2nd of this month, they made a phone call with my information and fingerprinted me, and gave me an envelope with the indiana state police address on it in indianapolis and put the app and fingerprint card in there and told ME to mail it out, which i did promptly that day mail it out first class.

Why do certain places mail it out for you? Is it possible that I may get it quicker by mailing it out myself?

And better yet, am I already approved, or does the state actually approve you for the permit?

Not sure exactly what the state does down there in indy that takes so many weeks, just curious if they are doing a check on me or if they just need to do paperwork and i am already approved?

Thanks!
    -Kyle

Last edited:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    you could get it back sooner I reckon. since you mailed instead of them that means it wont be sitting on a desk somewhere for weeks. as far as what they do at the ISP regarding your permit I have no clue how the system works.
    I took my app in awhile back and Im still waiting for them to call me :xmad: gonna give it a couple more days then Ill call em again. in Warrick county where I use to live,I went in to fill out my app and was finger printed that day and they mailed everything off for me but that was 4 years ago so I dont remember how long it took for me to get my LTCH.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    the ISP conducts a much more thorough background check than your local jurisdiction. as for the wait time, have you ever known a government or its agency to be johnny-on-the-spot?

lucky for you though, the wait time has returned to normal.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Some places mail everything for you, some places you mail it yourself. Here in Delphi, the County Sheriff and City Police trust you to make it to the post office ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    And better yet, am I already approved, or does the state actually approve you for the permit?

Not sure exactly what the state does down there in indy that takes so many weeks, just curious if they are doing a check on me or if they just need to do paperwork and i am already approved?

Thanks!
    -Kyle

The state is in the process of doing a background check and you are NOT yet approved. Do NOT carry until you receive the permit.

It is possible you are remembering an exception to the rule, which does not apply in your case. The exception was this: If you already had a permit, and 4 years later you applied for renewal, if you renewed before the old permit expired, but the new permit did not arrive before the old one expired, your receipt from the renewal process would serve as your permit until the new one came. This clearly doesn't apply to you and I hope you got the lifetime permit so there wouldn't be any of this renewal business. :D

I hope that clears things up. Sadly, the state of IN doesn't trust you with a gun until they check you out. Personally I think that's backwards, but they didn't ask me. Don't carry until you get your permit lest you wind up in some hot water.

Feel free to ask more questions. Nobody wants to see someone break the law out of ignorance. Also, you will probably find that most of your questions have been asked somewhere, if you are able to find them.

Good luck.

kyle1058

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Noble County
    No, I definitely won't carry until I receive the actual permit. I am glad to hear wait times are back to normal but not as proud that I only applied for the 4 year permit. Hopefully legislation doesn't change and I will be able to get a lifetime permit when the 4 year expires. Actually the lady at the sheriff's office said very sternly when she handed me that envelope... "DO NOT CARRY YOUR 'GUN' UNTIL YOU RECEIVE YOUR PERMIT, OK?" lol.. I appreciated the information but she was speaking to me like a dog that needed to go and sit down.

Well hopefully the system works and i'll be looking for it in 4-8 weeks i guess? (from the time i mailed it)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I applied for a 4-year permit six? 8? years ago in a different town than where I live now. That town mailed the application for me after their initial investigation was complete. I applied last year for the lifetime permit in my current town and the CLEO did my paperwork, then handed everything back to me and said to mail it at the post office at my convenience. I think it comes down to that town's or city's SOPs.

And I agree that the only advantage to mailing it yourself is that you have the peace of mind that it made it into the mail system in a timely manner as well as having a bit better timeline of when you can expect to look for the permit in the mail.

Congratulations on applying for your LTCH and welcome to one of life's longest, short waits in your adult life! :) As you have already surmised in your OP, it is highly suggested that you apply for the lifetime permit next time. You can do that six months before your permit expires.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom