• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    So if I come to an Appleseed event and find that I am not up the the riggors of the full course, can I still learn how to shoot?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Not all the guys I've seen on the firing line in AAR pictures look like track stars. You'll be fine.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm not techres, but I'm pretty sure the Appleseed program is the most accommodating and flexible shooting instruction you'll find.

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    So I can do things at my own pace, if i need to?

We want you to learn to shoot and get an excellent History lesson to boot. So ... yes, we will work with you.

WE promise -to have fun, to make you tired and sore, but not kill you!:rockwoot:

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Appleseed is for YOU! I have trouble sitting cross-legged, no prob, try kneeling! The instructors are VERY accommodating! And it's fun!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    We've found lots of ways to make stuff work. Sometimes, figuring out how to make the course of fire and the shooter work well together is part of the fun. What we can and cannot do is up to the shoot boss, ultimately, but what I've seen done for someone who truly cannot, for whatever reason, manage the rigors of a controlled move from standing to sitting or standing to prone and still get his/her rounds downrange is to have them stay down in whichever position and just not chamber a round until the other shooters are also down and doing so.

Again, it is up to the Shoot Boss whether we can do that or not, but we want to instruct, not restrict. It's all about making everything work together safely.

As DaveD said, what we'll teach you how to do may make you sore, but it won't kill you, and the secret to having it not make you as sore is to stretch and get accustomed to the positions before you come out. They don't have to be exact, but having your body effectively say, "Oh, OK, cool, I know this position!" is far better than having it scream "HOLY HELL WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO TO ME?!?!?" when you come to a shoot. :):

You come out and we'll all have some fun with a purpose. ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    Yeah, you will be fine. Specifically, there are time limitations that are absolute BUT the positions are workable as need be to a student's needs. We are masters of adaptation and creativity. And, seriously, fat & out of shape is no stranger to us.

Not as a program, not as instructors, and sadly not as individuals (or at least some of us).

dom1104

Shooter
    Mar 23, 2010
    As DaveD said, what we'll teach you how to do may make you sore, but it won't kill you, and the secret to having it not make you as sore is to stretch and get accustomed to the positions before you come out. They don't have to be exact, but having your body effectively say, "Oh, OK, cool, I know this position!" is far better than having it scream "HOLY HELL WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO TO ME?!?!?" when you come to a shoot.

I had almost identical advice given to me in premarital counseling.......

Bill and Dave are the experts, but I think if you can shoot prone, the rest should be easy. Its far from a physically demanding event.

I have been spreading the appleseed gospel for the past few weeks, and oddly this is the TOP question I get. "But what if I am too out of shape?"

surprised me thats what people felt like was holding them back.

papakevin

Plinker
    May 15, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I'm going to my first Appleseed this July and I'm looking forward to it. I'm definately "fat and happy", so I'm also a little concerned about the day, but can't wait to go.

What are the sample positions I should be practicing? Is there a link someone can share?

Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I'm going to be at one of these too and I'm a long way from my svelte figure. It should be alright though, from what I hear it's main focus is on hitting a man size target at 300 yards....which is so much better than having to walk those 300 yards. :D

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm going to my first Appleseed this July and I'm looking forward to it. I'm definately "fat and happy", so I'm also a little concerned about the day, but can't wait to go.

What are the sample positions I should be practicing? Is there a link someone can share?

Do you remember the little green army men toys? There was usually one standing with a rifle, one prone, and I think I recall one that was on one knee, all three of them in position to fire. The kneeling one is an alternate for what we use. Check out youtube with search terms like RWVA and "Appleseed shoot". You should see a few examples. The main thing the advice to "stretch" is focused toward is you getting used to changing positions quickly and safely. We can work on the specifics at the shoot. Also, if you want to practice without using your rifle in the house at all, grab an old broom or closet rod or some such to simulate your rifle.

At which site will you be shooting with us?

Blessings,
    Bill

Delmar

Master
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    At which site will you be shooting with us?
    I'm thinking either June 6-7 at Auburn or the Mini at Cloverdale July 24. Actually doing the Mini first really appeals to me. Learn the basic drills and go home and work on them. Come back to a full Appleseed ready to put up some better scores!

Last edited:

papakevin

Plinker
    May 15, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Bill - I'll be at the June 26 & 27th shoot in Kentucky at Knob Creek. I'm in Southern Indiana, so it's closer than driving to the Bloomington shoot. Really looking forward to it.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN

Get down on the floor in front of your TV. Cross your ankles. Lean forward and touch your ankles. Hold this as long as you can. As your back stretches, you should be able to touch your toes, then the floor in front of your feet. If you have a large stomach muscle, you may be able to lay it on the floor between yout legs. Now you are getting somewhere.

Stretch your back like this 2 or 3 times a week for 10 to 15 minutes and you will find the rifleman's positions much easier. I find it refreshing for my lower back also. My L5 is messed up. Sciatic pain and all..

If there is true pain in your back, stop and discuss it with your physician.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008

And if you have back pain, TELL THE SHOOT BOSS AT THE EVENT, and he will pass that down the line of instructors. It is really important that we know so you are not asked to do something beyond your abilities.

DHolder

Expert
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Stretch out those muscles, dont hurt yourself, you have a few weeks to do it. Pracitce getting up and down on the floor, maybe with a baseball bat or something to resemble a rifle.
    I found that the biggest factor for me was not my muscles, but I sweat while on the line, would get in my eyes. Solution, a couple of sweatbands and cool water.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Jan 6, 2010
    Get down on the floor in front of your TV. Cross your ankles. Lean forward and touch your ankles. Hold this as long as you can. As your back stretches, you should be able to touch your toes, then the floor in front of your feet. If you have a large stomach muscle, you may be able to lay it on the floor between yout legs. Now you are getting somewhere.

Stretch your back like this 2 or 3 times a week for 10 to 15 minutes and you will find the rifleman's positions much easier. I find it refreshing for my lower back also. My L5 is messed up. Sciatic pain and all..

That, or get some professional help at a Bunny Ranch in Nevada. All the exercise that one manage, while sincerely enjoying the ride.....so to speak. :D

Top Bottom