• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I didn't receive any concrete answers, just the extremely expensive somewhat vague indication that it a was likely a stomach virus.

I woke up around 4am Monday morning with my body informing me that was time to empty the contents of the stomach the short, fast way. Not being much in there it wasn't too bad but it was as if the act itself lit a fuse on something horrible. Burning up one minute and freezing the next, I completely soaked through four t shirts juts lying down. I felt like something had taken 70% of the energy my body normally has and my heart rate was below 50bpm when I'm usually running around 80 resting. I was getting what felt sort of like a cramp in my stomach but as soon as I'd feel the sensation, it would radiate out electrical signals through my entire body which is when I would go from feeling hot to cold or vice versa. I've never had anything slam me on the ground that hard, nothing even close.

As much as I do not like our medical system I participated in it yesterday, twice. First to a med check, they checked my vitals, said it's probably a virus and sent me home. Didn't feel any better when I left there and went home but was going to try to rest and eat/drink a little something. Got home, tried it and it wasn't happening. Ended up going back to the emergency room and they did some blood work and a CT scan of my abdomen and couldn't find anything. Gave me a few different meds to try and either they're working well or the worst is passed or some combination of the two.

Feeling relatively human again this morning other than not having eaten anything since Sunday afternoon and not being able to keep more than about 2 cups of water down total in that time. Planning to take it easy until I can eat and get some strength back but figured I'd mention it here in case anyone gets hit with it. Went to my neice's birthday party Saturday then to a celebration of life up in Roanoke after. I must have picked it up along the way Saturday I'm guessing.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Sorry to hear it knocked you down so thoroughly, and I know it is utterly miserable going through it, then trying to not feel like you're running on empty for days afterwards. Hope you get to feeling better sooner than later!

Years and years ago (ok, so, decades ago) when I worked at a group home the staff were trained for in-house contingencies for things like stomach viruses. One of the things we kept on hand in case any of the residents (or staff) was suffering from something like this was pediasure. Believe it or not, it actually helped. Easy to digest, full of nutrients and if anything at all will stay down, that stuff tends to. The modern equivalent (kind of) is protein shakes.

Since I work at a germ factory (middle school), the wife and I always have protein shakes around--not only good for a quick lunch, but good to help recover from the inevitable flu virus/stomach flu virus episodes.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Are you current on all your vaxing???

:lol2:

Get better phylodog!

You by chance taking anything to bolster and maintain your immune system? Vitamin D, zinc?

I don't like taking anything, but I got onto these during covid and have so far dodged most sickness.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Are you current on all your vaxing???

:lol2:

Get better phylodog!

You by chance taking anything to bolster and maintain your immune system? Vitamin D, zinc?

I don't like taking anything, but I got onto these during covid and have so far dodged most sickness.
    I don't take anything other than a few required daily meds. I don't typically get sick and spent time near several people with Covid at the height of the scare and never got sick.

I've never had anything other than physical trauma send my body into that sort of panic or fight/flight mode. It was bizarre and miserable and I hope to not experience it again. I'm feeling better and my heart rate is back to normal. Hopefully I'll get a decent night's sleep and be ready to get some work done tomorrow.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I usually get it from my wife after her Christmas break away from the kids where she teaches: middle school science! Eek!! Those little germ, virus and most things icky factories come back from vacay and they infect her and she shares it with me. Since I'm slightly immuno compromised, it knocks the poo out of me horribly and I have been hospitalized from it. The worse thing for me is the stomach and body cramps.

I do hope you mend well phylodog...

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Glad to hear you're on the mend, RHR of 80ish? Seems very high to me.

But, my wife laughs and says I'm about dead, with a RHR of 48-54, depending if I'm drinking or not.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Wife had it a week ago. Gone in 24 hrs.
    MIL had it, started while she was at dialysis so she ended up in ER. Released home, wife stayed the night with her and gone in 24 hrs. Other then being worn out they were good.

So far I have not been a victim.

Don

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    never wish that kind of bug on anyone.
    sounds like food poisoning to me.
    Does sound like it.

Food poisoning can be incredibly violent. I have a very vivid memory of food poisoning so bad I literally could not maintain consciousness on my feet. Fell out of the shower and woke up on the floor. Stood up, looked at myself in the mirror, and actually watched my vision fuzz out to a gray wall for a couple seconds before the lights went out and I woke up on the floor again. It was like "wow, is this what death feels like?".

Resolved in a day or so, but man it can feel like you are straight up going to die for a while.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Sometime in the mid 90’s we got contaminated chicken in the field. Imagine an entire Company in the field s((#ting themselves and puking everywhere.

It was not a good time.

Top Bottom