• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I may end up moving to an apartment with my family the first of next year to an apartment. I lived in an apartment many years ago and it was a pretty rough complex. It was only my wife and I living there though. Now I have 3 kids under 7 and one on the way. The complex is nice places but as all apartments go there are still some iffy characters. There have been some breakins and some juvenile issues. It is in a downtown area 1 mile from the police station. I am planning on putting a broom for locking the sliding doors and installing those small door alarms on all doors and windows. I really cant think of much else. The primary defense gun will be a shotgun and I always have a pistol on me but that may be too dangerous due to over penetration. Anybody else have any other tips?

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Everything you included in your post seems pretty good. As always just be aware of your surroundings, you can usually tell pretty quick which people you may need to keep an eye on. My big thing was I always got to know my neighbors at some level. I never got too close with any of them, but was sure to always say hi and talk with several of them. We all pretty much looked out for each other and never had any problems. Good luck with your move. :ingo:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Aside from frangible ammo for your pistol, choosing relatively safe lines of fire and then planning your HD around them. Also think about arranging large pieces of furniture like a dresser etc. to selectively reinforce certain walls.
    With the economy, the odds of having good neighbors has hopefully gone up.

vesan87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    A little south of Indy
    If you don't have an 800 pound gun safe bolted to the floor I would recommend it. And also they will be watching you when you move in. To see what you got. Try to keep things like your guns, 90 inch flat screen TV, and solid gold life size Dalmatian covered up.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I may end up moving to an apartment with my family the first of next year to an apartment. I lived in an apartment many years ago and it was a pretty rough complex. It was only my wife and I living there though. Now I have 3 kids under 7 and one on the way. The complex is nice places but as all apartments go there are still some iffy characters. There have been some breakins and some juvenile issues. It is in a downtown area 1 mile from the police station. I am planning on putting a broom for locking the sliding doors and installing those small door alarms on all doors and windows. I really cant think of much else. The primary defense gun will be a shotgun and I always have a pistol on me but that may be too dangerous due to over penetration. Anybody else have any other tips?

depending on what you are going to feed that shotgun,overpenetration with still be a huge issue. The best defense tv series did some testing on one their shows last season and everything went thru at least 1 interior wall section. I think birdshot and 55 gr 223 didn't make it thru the second one. I'll try and find a link
    know what is behind your target

I just re-watched it , I was wrong about the 223 but it was better than a 9mm

The Best Defense Videos | Down Range TV

Last edited:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    One thing I'd add from personal experience for sliding doors, and I've posted it somewhere before.

Not only a broomstick in the bottom track of the sliding door, but also one of those cheapo short extendable shower rods in the top. My son learned to pull the stick in the bottom out and get out (did it twice!). Having a white shower rod in a white doorfram up against the top is almost invisible from the outside, keeps the kid from getting out, prevents the door from being "rocked", and can still be jerked out easily by hand in case of emergency (fire, etc.)

Mine only cost $5 at Wal-Mart, and worth much more in peace of mind just for child safety alone.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Would renting a house be an option?

Seems like an abundance of homes being bought up and turned into rentals.

I would be more concerned about my kids being outside and
    who's watching them over a home invasion.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I too live in an apartment. I have my shotty loaded with 00 buck. I have my 9mm loaded with 147 Winchester Ranger SXT JHP's. If you do not have a clear shot do not shoot. If you feel like your, or your families life is in danger. You have to do what you need to, to protect then from harm.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I used to always carry 4 buck in my shotty for HD use. It will still go through a wall, been tested, but now the FBI ratings say it doesn't supply the 12" of penetration. I switched to 1 buck. It follows the minimum of what they recommend.

The house that I am in now has nice plaster walls over sheetrock. It is a lot tougher. I have switched to 00 buck now. The kids are a bit older and the dog lets us know who is in the next room faster than we can on our own.

When I lived in town I worried about over-penetration even though we were in a house. Protecting me and mine always comes first, but if I can find something a little better I am always up for it.

balorg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Bloomington
    Aside from frangible ammo for your pistol, choosing relatively safe lines of fire and then planning your HD around them. Also think about arranging large pieces of furniture like a dresser etc. to selectively reinforce certain walls.
    With the economy, the odds of having good neighbors has hopefully gone up.

Frangible ammo is not apartment safe. Please refer to the following post: Frangible Ammo Test

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I currently live in an apartment. The people in it seem pretty decent, but I still waited until well after dark before I moved in the things that I did not want to advertise that I had. It was kinda difficult to hide the movers moving in my TV, stereo equipment, computer and such since they only work during daylight hours. I have shotguns, but would probably grab my Bersa Thunder in .380 for an intruder. I do not know how many layers of drywall it would penetrate, but except for a few locations, it would have to go through several to exit my apartment.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Thanks so much everybody. I went and look at the availabel apartments today and they are all upstairs so now there is only one entrance to my apartment I wont worry about the balcony door much other than my little ones getting out. The policy is strict on behavior issues and talked to a couple of the possible neighbors and they seemed ok. Older folks and a single man. I already checked the area so violent and sexual offenders and none are listed in the complex but when it comes to my family I watch everybody. This is for the best in the long run. It allows us to move to where we want to raise our kids and will be close to alot of nice gunshops, camping and guns ranges and the complex has its own stocked lake which my son is already bugging me about going fishing.

bpatter6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Real charlie bars are the best for securing sliding glass doors. They screw into the frame mid-way up and can be raised out of the way to allow you to exit. The broomstick in the bottom can be undone from the outside with a little creativity with a coat hanger.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Once you get to your new place you should practice clearing rooms.
    Starting from your bedroom if you need to wake up and do that at night and from your from door too if you get home and someone's already inside.
    Do this both during the day and the night.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also, If you have a shotgun, Bradis has #4 Buck shot on sale this week.

MUCH better alternative to 00 and 000 in terms of over penetration dangers. Not perfect, but better from that standpoint.

As was said up-thread, in a good home defense plan, you'd know your shooting lanes. You'd know where you'd have to be in order to not hit anyone else in your apartment. This includes elevations. (IE shooting up from floor level towards another bedroom is safer than being 6' tall and shooting down towards that same bedroom).

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Awesome suggestion (plus #4's wound channel looks like a handgrenade went off!)

My shotgun doesn't really care for it, unfortunately. Even at SD ranges, the Remington stuff I tested a few weekends ago just peppered the target. Didn't stay nice and tight (like the Fed low-recoil 00 and the S&B 00 buck loads) out of that 18" barrel.

Further than 10' away, with MY shotgun, would still equal a lot of stray pellets. It's just that those stray pellets will be lighter in weight and hopefully not kill Oliver & Ernie the Wonder Cats.

-J-

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Lights! If the complex doesnt have them, suggest them. Install them wherever YOU can. Just like any other dwelling, create a fall back point, make sure you can get there. If you can barricade yourself, no need to fire a shot. Keep in mind the time you are most at risk is to and from the building, which goes back to lighting and situational awareness.

Top Bottom