anyone with experience breeding goats/sheep?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    i have a goat that looks absolutely uncomfortably large but do not know how far along she is. is there a way to tell? i bought the buck before he was old enough to mate and put him in the same pasture quite some time ago... so i cant tell by doing the math on a calender as i did not specifically breed them on a certain date.

my worry is that she is nearing over due, or even dangerously over due.

as a note she has had two "litters" before without any trouble. so should i just not worry about it or should i be contacting a vet?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Check to see if you can get milk from her. If you can, shes within 24 hours. Dont worry. If she has had good births in the past, she likely will do well again.

This ^^^

I used to breed Pygmy goats for show... If you want to talk about uncomfortable large... look at a very pregnant Pygmy (they look extremely fat to begin with)... I say as long as she has been successful before she should be ok. Just watch careful for signs of distress and keep her as comfortable as possible.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    You might have to help pull the kid out! Do you have the long gloves? Everything should be fine, just keep an eye out for helping out. You will know.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    You might have to help pull the kid out! Do you have the long gloves? Everything should be fine, just keep an eye out for helping out. You will know.
    ok, i think why she might look so uncomfortably big today is that she has already started to drop. so it will probably be soon as well as some secretions and swollen "parts" if i understand correctly.

did not try the milking thing as she can be particularly stubborn.

remind again which part of the kid i am supposed to see first so that i know whether or not she needs help like mentioned in the post. like i said she had delivered before rather well and quickly with no help. she just looks like she is having a larger number and am a little nervous. i am just somewhat a nervous person however.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Raised goats for 18 years of mixed breeds, sizes, and quality. Even had the first In vitro fertilization of a goat in the country back in the 1980's.

If she's kidded before with no problems, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Make sure she's got some shade and plenty of water.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ........If she's kidded before with no problems, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Make sure she's got some shade and plenty of water.

not-sure-if-kidding-or-serious.jpg

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    You know... I looked at the title of this thread and then I looked over to see the last person who had commented was Printcraft. So I just had to come in and see what was said:laugh:

Other than that I have nothing to add that will help you. Sorry.

Top Bottom