• ...and so much more!
  • Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I was wondering if anyone here is using Ramshot TAC powder for loading 223?

Is it ok or not so good? Reading a couple of reviews on Midway some say that it smokes a little? Any experience with this?

I normally use Winchester 748 or IMR3031 but I have not had much luck locating either of those right now. Anyway, Midway has the TAC powder in stock and I wanted to ask about it before I pull the trigger on 8 pounds of powder I have never used before.

Thanks for any help on this. :ingo:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I use tac. It gives some smoking hot velocities and burns clean. It is also quite reasonable in price compared to other powders. It meters good too.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Tried some last year, didn't have any problems with it.
    Seemed to burn clean, and metered nice. Didn't load more than the one batch tho. My rifle seemed to like Varget a little bit better.
    To be fair, that was with some 55gr bulk Winchester bullets I picked up at a gun show.
    I should give it another try with some better bullets and see what happens.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Just picked up a few pounds of it. Haven't tried it yet, but the research I did is in line with the above comments. It seems to have quite a good reputation with the heavier bullet shooters especially.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    I used 1 pound of TAC. My AR didn't like the high velocity MAX loads so I used the rest at a medium velocity FMJ load and went back to H335.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I started using Ramshot TAC back when Varget vanished from the shelves during the '08 panic buying. I won't go back to Varget after using TAC. The TAC meters perfectly in my 550B, and using it with 69gr matchkings I've been using it for precision long range shooting for years. I shot the best group of my life using TAC and all my go-to ammo is loaded with it. I am a fan and I see no reason why not to use it. I think it's one of reloadings best kept secrets.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I started using Ramshot TAC back when Varget vanished from the shelves during the '08 panic buying. I won't go back to Varget after using TAC. The TAC meters perfectly in my 550B, and using it with 69gr matchkings I've been using it for precision long range shooting for years. I shot the best group of my life using TAC and all my go-to ammo is loaded with it. I am a fan and I see no reason why not to use it. I think it's one of reloadings best kept secrets.

Oh hell, the cats outta the bag now!

Top Bottom