• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I am taking a rifle class next week and their gear list suggests bringing a maglula magazine loader. I have never used one. I will be using an AR15.

I did take a pistol class a couple of weeks ago and the gear list suggested bringing a lula pistol mag loader. I bought one and brought it, but used it twice and went back to loading mags by hand. I didn't have any problems loading mags by hand and it seemed faster than using the lula loader.

I don't have any problems or complaints with loading AR mags by hand, but if the maglula really is handy, I will get one.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone used one extensively and really liked it? Has anyone bought one and then not used it because loading by hand is pretty easy? I'm not worried about squeezing every single round possible into the mags for the class, so if the mag has 28 rounds in it, that's good enough.

The ammo requirement for the class is 1500 rounds, but based on the requirements vs actual rounds used for the same school's pistol classes, I figure I will shoot somewhere between 750 and 1250 rounds.

I will be loading from loose rounds, not on stripper clips.

School me on these things INGO! :ingo:

unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    I have both the pistol "maglula" and the "striplula". For me the pistol loader is fantastic because I'm lazy. The striper clip loader is great if you have rounds on clips, not so much if loading loose rounds. It would be faster using your hands if all the rounds you're going to use are loose. If you want to get back on the line quicker, buy some clips and use the loader.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    I have used the same AR-15 MagLula for several years (15 +) to include training and personal use. The MagLula is fast and simple and has the benefit of not only assisting loading a mag, but can unload a mag quickly also. I use mine to unload mags as much as I use it to load them.

One of the benefits of using any mag loader is the rounds are placed in the magazine consistently. This prevents rounds from binding in the mag due to not being staggered correctly, as can happen with stripper clips. Loaders also reduce wear on the feed lips by making room for the next mag to drop in so you do not press the rounds through the feed lips. People usually have some smart comment about using a loader until they actually use one.

As for the pistol version, I am not a fan. It seems to require three hand or a sold surface to use it correctly. I use a different brand for pistols.

Rifle version in action:

[video]https://youtu.be/Ug3VxPlMHUQ[/video]

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Strip LULA is great for clips but still good for loose rounds.

[video=youtube;oLCRJka3CN0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLCRJka3CN0[/video]

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I have the StripLULA and pistol MagLULA. Both are great and worth the money. Saves wear on the thumbs and makes loading a lot less annoying. I load AR mags to 29 and pistol to capacity.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    [video=youtube;KMV9b2FFuWA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMV9b2FFuWA[/video]

Not my video, but it illustrates how easy they can be made.

If you're good with wood working... Just saying.

I've made a couple for family and friends.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    [video=youtube;KMV9b2FFuWA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMV9b2FFuWA[/video

Not my video, but it illustrates how easy they can be made.

If you're good with wood working... Just saying.

I've made a couple for family and friends.

thats a pretty neat little contraption! I think that I could make that too.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Is this for the ACT class Saturday? If so, can I try it out?

Sorry, I ordered it for fighting rifle @ Tactical Response. I just finished the first day. I have loaded a ton of ammo today without the loader and have not missed it. The thing never showed up.

I ordered it from Amazon and they shipped it usps. It showed on time, tracked to bloomington, then that afternoon tracked to somewhere in Ohio and just kind of disappeared. I stopped tracking it yesterday when I left for Camden. Last I checked, it was not even tracking anymore. Basically I get an error message stating that there is "a problem with the shipper".

I'm going to see what it takes to send it back if I ever actually receive it. I hate it when people ship stuff to me usps even fedex is better. grr.

Top Bottom