• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm not thrilled with the top I put on my BBQ table. The wood has already been burned from embers and it's going to get stained up from food & grease so I'm looking for an alternative. I've considered tile and I know how to lay tile but I'm thinking a concrete top would be pretty nice. I could seal it and hopefully avoid the staining. The table is plenty strong enough to hold it so that isn't a concern.

I've watched several online tutorials and it seems pretty straight forward. The only thing I'm trying to figure out is what I could use to create the circular openings in the form.

Anyone tried this themselves? How did it turn out? Degree of difficulty?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Why not use stainless steel backer, like you put behind your stove? Easy to clean, fire proof and super easy to install. If you need cutting it just takes a pair of tin snips. Concrete's fine, but seems like a whole lot of work. If you like stone-like material, tile may just be the way to go.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I was planning on staining it dark grey and I'll probably find some kind of mat to sit on it next to the egg & grill to help catch stains. The opening for the BGE is 23" across, for the Weber it's just a bit smaller so I need something that size to hold the openings in the mold.

I've had stainless steel things that sat outside and the weather seems to wear down on their stainless-ness. They don't seem to stay looking decent for very long. A couple sheets of stainless large enough would cost a pretty penny also.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Here's a pic I just took a few minutes ago. Found a nifty light that attaches to the umbrella so I can see the Q without wearing a headlamp.

IMG_1737.jpg

blurr95

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    As far as the forms for the circle openings go, You can have a sheet metal shop roll shop metal up for it. I would use 16 gauge galvinivzed for it. That may be a cheaper alternative then buying a peice of sono tube. I would asume from the pic that you are doing 2 tops, if you are then you could use the same peice of metal for both holes. That is the route I would take, but I am a sheet metal worker, and could do this for myself for free. As far as the top itself, If you do it youself be prepared to work your butt off. One of our apprentices at work just did these for his kitchen. He has an uncle that does this professionaly come in from out of state to help him with it as a wedding present. He had watched some videos as well, and said he was totally unprepared for how much work it was.

Jason

upalot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    PAWNEE
    When you make your form, glue or nail styrofoam to the areas you want openings, you can pick up sheets of it at any home imp. store.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Typically, the form is made from melamine board with a smooth surface. For the interior holes, you could do it with a sheet of veneer with some supports placed inside the hole, or use foam as the support structure with a veneer on the outside.

Don't concrete tube forms have a different surface on the inside from the outside?

Top Bottom