Anyone know what they're doing with a beagle and want a free one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I have a beagle that will be 2 years old on 10/5. I've had her since she was about 6 weeks old. I got her from a breeder in Charlotte, NC who raises beagles strictly to hunt. I was told she is full-blooded but I don't really know. I certainly don't have any papers for her. I didn't care about that when I was buying her.

I wanted her to have as a family pet and to take her out in the woods sometimes to hunt rabbits. She is an OUTSTANDING tracker. Seriously. She's a natural tracker. She'll track rabbits and squirrels, etc. Her nose always impresses me.

Unfortunately she only wants to go full-bore all the time and she is too aggressive for my 8 year old daughter. The beagle has nipped at her a couple of times and my daughter is scared to death of her. Won't even be in the same room as the dog. The beagle is nice to everyone else in the family and even loves sleeping with my 11 year old son but the dog and the daughter are irreconcilable. My son loves this dog to death but he's come to realize that this dog just won't work with our family. This beagle is more like the hunting kind than the kind that just lays around lazily, she always wants to be out running. I did a lot of research before I chose a breed and most people told me how chill beagles are with kids. Mine is not really chill, she wants to be running in the woods nonstop. Or, maybe I just don't have a clue how to handle her? I don't know.

I've tried training the dog the best I could and she can go to her crate, sit, stay, come (sometimes!). But, if her nose is really interested in something, there seems to be little I can do. Like many other beagles, she's extremely stubborn.

I'm looking to get this dog in a good family, preferably somewhere where she has some room to be outside, maybe with some other beagles where she can train with them, acclimate to them. Maybe with someone who has experience handling beagles? Maybe a place she can hunt rabbits, etc. I'm not sure.

I'm not looking for any money, I'm just really concerned that the dog is well taken care of and develops her potential. My son's going to cry a river when we get rid of her so that's my promise to him that we get the dog somewhere where she'll be happy.

She has been fixed, she has all of her shots, she's never been sick or had any health problems. We've routinely taken her to the vet at Petsmart and can get all records since we've had her.

I live in Indianapolis and am willing to travel to the right place.

Anyone interested in her? Or can point me somewhere where I could take her where she'd be happy?

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it. It'll be hard on our family to let her go but it has to be done.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Bump. I'm having a hard time not sending you a pm. I'm interested, but I'll let the beagle guys have first crack. I don't hunt rabbits, and if that's what you want for her, I wish you good luck finding a forever home. If a foster home would help you, I'd do that provided my lab and her got along. I'm sure they would....he runs rabbits like a pro. If they get along great, I'd keep her forever if you don't have other leads. Pm me if I can help.

Last edited:

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    FWIW, our beagle/coonhound mix was NUTS until she was about 2.5-3 years old. She still runs around a lot when she's outside or there's a reason to zoom around, but really does just lay around, now.

Mike

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Bump. I'm having a hard time not sending you a pm. I'm interested, but I'll let the beagle guys have first crack. I don't hunt rabbits, and if that's what you want for her, I wish you good luck finding a forever home. If a foster home would help you, I'd do that provided my lab and her got along. I'm sure they would....he runs rabbits like a pro. If they get along great, I'd keep her forever if you don't have other leads. Pm me if I can help.

Feel free to PM me. I don't really know if she'll be a good rabbit dog or not. I'm just speculating based on what I've observed her do. But, it's all theoretical to me--I've never trained a rabbit hunting dog. More than anything, I just want her to go somewhere where she'll be happy and treated well. Hunting may never really materialize for her. I've never trained her around guns so I don't know how she'd warm to that.

The reason I asked for beagle guys are that I figured they'd have some experience with dealing with stubborn beagles that would help them train her to be happier. Also, being around other beagles that were well trained may help her to learn how to act.

My daughter really just cannot get over the fear of the dog and I don't know what to do. I see my daughter go to her friends' houses and play with all of their dogs and she wants that with our beagle but it just ain't gonna happen, I fear.

If I can find a home for our beagle, we'll get something like a lab or a golden or something with maybe a better temperment.

Thanks for looking at this and showing some concern!

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    FWIW, our beagle/coonhound mix was NUTS until she was about 2.5-3 years old. She still runs around a lot when she's outside or there's a reason to zoom around, but really does just lay around, now.

Mike

Thanks a lot, Mike. If we can't find a place for her, we'll just continue as we are and hope that things improve. I appreciate the encouragement!

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Have you considered a training class? Take your daughter and have her help and learn all the commands. Then she will see that the dog can and will listen and obey her. Group training also provides much needed socialization and distraction while training.

I highly recommend first friend k9 in fishers.
    They helped me get my lab in check. I adopted him at 1.5 years old and he was wild! He lived his life on a chain and knew nothing. In 8 weeks, the trainers saw such a turn around, that they wanted me to get him certified as a therapy dog.

I guess my point is dont give up. Dogs are stubborn. I won't lie, it took an e collar for me to get my lab to the point where he is now. Beagle guys use them alot too.

Call first friend and discuss your problem. Bruce is the owner. He trains gsd as his specialty and produces word champion protection dogs. He knows his stuff. Some people don't like him. He's no bs, no nonsense and uses prong training collars. Some feel that's cruel. If that's the case for you, Bruce is not your guy. Beginners class is $100 ish and trust me when I say it's $ well spent.

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    Have you considered a training class? Take your daughter and have her help and learn all the commands. Then she will see that the dog can and will listen and obey her. Group training also provides much needed socialization and distraction while training.

I highly recommend first friend k9 in fishers.
    They helped me get my lab in check. I adopted him at 1.5 years old and he was wild! He lived his life on a chain and knew nothing. In 8 weeks, the trainers saw such a turn around, that they wanted me to get him certified as a therapy dog.

I guess my point is dont give up. Dogs are stubborn. I won't lie, it took an e collar for me to get my lab to the point where he is now. Beagle guys use them alot too.

Call first friend and discuss your problem. Bruce is the owner. He trains gsd as his specialty and produces word champion protection dogs. He knows his stuff. Some people don't like him. He's no bs, no nonsense and uses prong training collars. Some feel that's cruel. If that's the case for you, Bruce is not your guy. Beginners class is $100 ish and trust me when I say it's $ well spent.

+1 for this idea. I've grown up with dogs all my life. I'm not saying there's NO bad dog out there, and I praise you for trying to do the right thing for both your family and your pet. However, the dog is good with *everyone* but your daughter. Perhaps she is handling him wrong? I really like the idea of them training together!

Top Bottom