• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Looking for someone to help me get a new safe i purchased down to my basement. I had my daughters boyfriend lined up but found out he has testicular cancer and is havin surgery this week. The safe is around 300#. I am going to rent an appliance dollie when i have the move to the basement lined up. Is anyone here in NWI, specifically in Hobart, willing to lend a hand? Id like to make provisions to do the move next weekend, and if someone is willing to help, i will work around you. I can compensate you for your time, whether with cash, some ammo, or even beer if thats what you prefer. Not sure if correct place to post and ask for help, but not sure what else to do and the wifey hates it sitting in the dining room. If you are willing to help please feel free to reply to thread and i will pm you or if you would like just pm me. Thanks INGO.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Thanks for the info rookie but nearest rental appears to be Lafayette which is over an hour away.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I won't be available this weekend, but I just moved a safe for my cousin. It was 500 pounds, and just the two of us. The appliance dolly helped a ton, we rented one from the home depot. Strap it in. The biggest help was taking the door off, the door was 1/3 of the weight.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I didn't think about removing the door but still probably be a 2 man job. Definitely getting a dollie but don't even wanna attempt by myself. Runaway safe wouldn't be good as my hot water heater is directly in the path

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I wish we had one of these things
    [video=youtube_share;nn7bwCvHl2M]http://youtu.be/nn7bwCvHl2M[/video]

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ericpwp. Sure do wish i had one of those! I just hate to think of spending $70 to rent for something that can be done in 10 minutes. Take me longer just to rent the thing than I would actually be using it

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Thanks for the offer 1911ly! Wish i was closer too. I'll get it downstairs eventually, but sooner the better. As the saying goes "Happy wife, Happy life"

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I'd help but I'm working next weekend.

On the lower end safes, the door weighs about the same as the safe.

I moved mine solo (wouldn't do again) but I pulled the door off with a car jack, used the dolly to bring downstairs. Then I put the safe on the dolly, tied some rope to the dolly so my body wouldn't be under the safe when I tipped it over to go down. Step by step on my butt I brought it downstairs. It was everything I could do to slow/control descent but I got it down there. (680 lbs assembled, probably 300ish on the door)

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Thanks for the offer to help danmdevries. If you are in the area and can help i can do the move anytime after 5 throughout the week. I get outta work at 4 and could go rent dollie and be home by 5. Thanks everyone for suggestions and offers to help

Top Bottom