Anyone have experience getting an LTCH in Carmel?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    I have finally applied for an LTCH, and something seems off at the Carmel Police Department. They said that in addition to meeting the normal requirements, paying fees, and fingerprinting, I have to interview with the Chief of Police in order to be issued my LTCH. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but Indiana is a Shall Issue state. As I understand it, a shall issue state must issue a license if all of the legal criteria are met. Now I haven't read through many of the ins and outs of Indiana's LTCH requirements, but I have never heard anyone make reference to an interview with the Chief of Police being a part of that criteria.

So my question is, is this normal? And if not, is this even legal? If not, what can I do about it?

Last edited:

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    There have been others that had to go through this on Carmel who have shared their stories on here. As far as I understand the meeting is just a quick talk about some laws and where you can and cannot carry. It does not seem legal that you would have to go through it however, but IANAL.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    While not "normal" or required, I think it is fairly common in Indiana. It is a chance to meet the Chief, or his Assistant. The basis for it is basically the "proper person" part of the application process. They can meet with you and get a feel for who you are.

I don't think anyone has ever been denied because of it. The vast majority of people leave the meeting as a positive experience.

Just MHO (having gone through the process, and knowing the people involved). :)

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    From what I've read if you are passed/approved for LTCH, they need to give it to you period. No meetings or anything.

Personally I'd walk in and ask them to please give me my license and then leave.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    My buddy had to meet with the chief. He said it was a pretty brief and generic talk.

That said, I think it is BS.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    In contrast to what some are saying, the local police have no bearing on whether or not you are approved. All they can do is make a recommendation.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    While not "normal" or required, I think it is fairly common in Indiana.

I've read where this happens in several places too, but I'm not sure how widespread the practice is...I can say Lawrence county practically has an express lane for LTCH applicants.

StreetStrip01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Florida
    I like how everytime that this is brought up, you always have someone quick to jump on their soapbox to criticize and want to argue about the lessening of rights because of meeting with the Chief is hindering the 2nd amendment, or that they are doing it to stereotype, and I even saw once on here that they do it only to black people. (rolleyes)

The truth is that many years ago, the Chief that was installed at that time found it highly proper to have citizens who thought enough about themselves and their town to go above and beyond and get a permit, LTCH, whatever it was at that time. It was especially pleasing to him to have a direct hand in this process as well. It was, and still is a tradition that continues to this day.

Back in the olden days, whenever this was started, the Chief actually gave you the completed permit/LTCH personally, think of it as a person personally presenting you with whatever, when it was mailed back. They sent it to the station instead of your house.

They do it for no other reason than to tell you where you cannot carry, what you cannot do, and to answer any questions that you may have. It is a type of community policing, if you are familiar with that term at all. No different than having Andy and Barney walking down the street, visible to the folks in Mayberry.

It it a lot nicer having the police force visible to their employers, instead of having the police staff snorting coke, getting sloppy drunk, or killing motorcycle riders while laptop chatting about State Fair elephant ears.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    In contrast to what some are saying, the local police have no bearing on whether or not you are approved. All they can do is make a recommendation.

This^
    The last few times I got my 4 yr LTCH before I got the lifetime, the cheif just wanted to go over my record to make his recommendation. They pulled my record, he had a few questions I answered and he signed off on it.
    If you've ever been arrested he'll ask about the circumstances. I was arrested, charges dropped end of story, so I thought. It still shows up when they pull my history.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    I like how everytime that this is brought up, you always have someone quick to jump on their soapbox to criticize and want to argue about the lessening of rights because of meeting with the Chief is hindering the 2nd amendment, or that they are doing it to stereotype, and I even saw once on here that they do it only to black people. (rolleyes)

The truth is that many years ago, the Chief that was installed at that time found it highly proper to have citizens who thought enough about themselves and their town to go above and beyond and get a permit, LTCH, whatever it was at that time. It was especially pleasing to him to have a direct hand in this process as well. It was, and still is a tradition that continues to this day.

Back in the olden days, whenever this was started, the Chief actually gave you the completed permit/LTCH personally, think of it as a person personally presenting you with whatever, when it was mailed back. They sent it to the station instead of your house.

They do it for no other reason than to tell you where you cannot carry, what you cannot do, and to answer any questions that you may have. It is a type of community policing, if you are familiar with that term at all. No different than having Andy and Barney walking down the street, visible to the folks in Mayberry.

It it a lot nicer having the police force visible to their employers, instead of having the police staff snorting coke, getting sloppy drunk, or killing motorcycle riders while laptop chatting about State Fair elephant ears.

Fyi, I have no problems with meeting the Chief of Police, other than the fact that they claim to be booked up past February for that meeting. I performed all of my application/fingerprinting electronically, which I am told speeds up the process considerably. My frustration comes with the notion that my local PD may delay my receiving my permit because the Chief of Police wants to run down a list of dos and don'ts that I can easily look up for myself.

It's not that I don't want to go "above and beyond" it's that there is no legal reason for them to delay my permit, and that's not right. I have made the decision to carry, and my state and local government is obligated to allow that as quickly as possible in accordance to state law.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    :) Part of the problem is that you and a few hundred of your neighbors all decided to do it at the same time (probably most opting for the "speedy" version, too).

Overall, I think it is a good thing. It just sucks for people like you - and I don't mean that sarcastically. I truly don't envy your wait.

StreetStrip01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Florida
    arithmus, I see your concern, but what you must realize is where we are at right now.

Everybody and their brother (or sister) is getting in line to get a LTCH because, like every time a donkey gets into office (see 2008) everyone freaks out about " they are coming after our guns." It happens

every

single

time.

T.Lex has the right idea. Between running a public safety dept and holding back the rights of fellow Americans, only so much time in the day.

I would venture to *assume* that Marion county is seeing the exact same holdups as Carmel is.

It is a process, nothing more.

FWIW, my wife got her LTCH about a year ago. She got her paperwork from the nice English lady, two days later got fingerprinted down by 69 and 465 off of 71st and Binford, and 8 business days later had her pink card.

Granted, this was after the initial train wreck with the "We's coming after yous guns" of 2008, but well before the current agenda.

Just like most things in life, the wait is worth the time, unless you are waiting on post Bangkok test results.

Your results may vary.

shadohman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    arithmus, I see your concern, but what you must realize is where we are at right now.

Everybody and their brother (or sister) is getting in line to get a LTCH because, like every time a donkey gets into office (see 2008) everyone freaks out about " they are coming after our guns." It happens

every

single

time.

Your results may vary.

And they are right. Every time the Democrats get control of one or both houses of congress, we get more and more infringements on our rights. I remember the time before the Gun Control Act of 1968, every outdoor magazine even those aimed at teenagers had adds for firearms that you could order through the mail and the mailman delivered them right to your home. There were no mass shooting in gun free zones, high schools had rifle teams and those that hunted usually had their guns in their vehicles.

So I will disagree, the Democrats are after your guns and everything else they can take away from us, Just keep drinking their kool-aide, Trust what they say and ignore their actions.

The results won't vary, we will all lose.

gklatv

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    I got my LTCH couple of years ago after having a brief meeting with the Carmel Police Chief. Similar meeting was part of the process for a few other people I know of. Seems to be Carmel procedural policy.

panderson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Two years ago I had to go throught this same process. Had to wait 2 weeks and then he rescheduled because he was on vacation. Meeting is not really that big of a deal. Really more of a chat than anything else. Nice guy actually. Didn't ask what I was getting it for or what I had. Total time was about 10 min. A week later I had my license.

Top Bottom