• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've been thinking about buying one of these and wanted to know if anyone around here had one.

I'm looking for a 44mag little buddy to work off the same supply of ammo as my 44mag rifle. I'd prefer a Ruger and in double action. I don't want the gun to take up too much room so the redhawk 4" seems to be the perfect fit for me since they quit making the 5 1/2" redhawks.

Does anyone have one of these and if so, how happy are you with it?

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    I have one! And is probably my favorite gun. (hence my avatar pic...) So what do you want to know about it? If I were were to do it over again though, I would've opted for the 45 colt because this thing bucks with the 44's. I shoot beefy loads out of my 45 Blackhawk (second favorite gun, maybe tied for first...) equal in power to a hot 44 and it is much more pleasant to shoot. I still love it though. But if you don't handload or want to pay 1.50 a round for custom 45 loads, get the 44. The Redhawks are tanks and made my 629 look like an anorexic weakling. I bought a set of factory wood grips because that big old hougie was too ugly and fat. Only thing is the wood tends to sting a little more than the rubber, but I think the wood fits better in my hand. Only real gripe I have is the trigger is a little stiff, but the Rugers all slick up with time, just shoot a lot or dry fire the crap out of it. I've haven't had a chance to try her out on any critters yet, but will hopefully this season. Best part about it is at the range.. When I rip off a shot the whole place turns thier heads to see what just happened. One guy asked if it was a 460 or 454 and another time a guy asked if it was a 54 (whatever the hell that is....:nuts:). Each time I just chuckled and said nope, just a 44!

Go for it!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I already handload my own ammo and have a little supply for my 44mag rifle. I'm glad to hear about how much you like yours and the reasons that you like yours. I'd like to hunt with one eventually, or at least be competant enough with one to be able to take a hunting shot at 50 to 75 yards on deer sized game. I know I'll need to practice, but handguns aren't new to me so I'll get the hang of it sooner or later. I'm a big fan of ruger revolvers and after holding one, I can't feel confident in a S&W. They're just too thin.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The look of the 5-1/2" Redhawk is about perfect proportions for a revolver, IMO. I searched for about three months for one of the "older" ones in .45 Colt and got a used SRH instead in .454 Casull.

When they came out with the 4" Redhawk in .45 Colt I had to have it. If anyone has a 7.5" Redhawk in .45 Colt I'll gladly trade my SRH for it.

Let me tell you it is one heavy piece of steel, the S&W "Mountain Gun" (Model 625 I think?) feels light in comparison, but the Ruger's trigger is quite nice - even in double action. After shooting it a while, a 4" .357 feels like a J-frame Airweight.

I haven't put any heavy loads through it (yet) or tried the accuracy at 50 yards. 50-75 yards might be optimistic for the 4", but definitely within the realm of the 7.5" Redhawk. I'll need to try some 50 yard targets. Paper plates (my deer-sized game qualifier) are not a problem with my Model 19 at 50yds, so maybe I should give it a try with the Ruger! In fact I'm going to try to load up a batch this week, I haven't had time to find the perfect load for it, but factory Federal Champion 225gr SWC-HP gives baseball size groups at 25 yards. I also want to try some "cowboy" loads.

I love Ruger revolvers.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've owned a ruger super blackhawk 44mag 7.5" and a ruger super redhawk 44mag 7.5". They were both plenty accurate, but were so long and heavy that I never used them for anything. Ideally I'd like to find a 5.5" redhawk, but I missed the boat on one of those so the 4" is my only option. I've held them and I think I could handle one of those with big smile on my face.

bulldog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    Crawfordsville,In
    I don't have a 4" but do have the 5 1/2".I REALLY LIKE my redhawk.I too like the 4"version but have only come across it in 45 colt.The 44 mag in a 4" would be a perfect packin pistol.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Ideally I'd like to find a 5.5" redhawk, but I missed the boat on one of those so the 4" is my only option. I've held them and I think I could handle one of those with big smile on my face.

How much you willing to pay for a 5.5" stainless, used, condition is good..few scratches here and there? Just wondering.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    There was a 4" 45 colt, claimed to be new, at the 1500 for $495. I damn near crapped my pants because new or used that is a great price for the 4". I had already bought an sp101 (which got me in big trouble) and knew coming home with two guns woulda made me homeless, or even worse. :bigballs:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    How much you willing to pay for a 5.5" stainless, used, condition is good..few scratches here and there? Just wondering.

A lot of it depends on the age of the gun too. I've found them online in under $500 for guns that have a low round count, but are 20 years old. It's nto that the guns are worth their weight in gold, it's jsut that they're hard to find. I've been keeping an eye open for one at a good price, but I haven't been trying to hard to search one out. I actually found a great deal not too long ago, but the timing didn't match up well with my bank account. If you've got one to sell there's probably plenty of guys here who would buy it. I know I'd trade a marlin 1895G 45/70 for the right one.

PEAparamedic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    I'd like to find a new 5 1/2" .44 redhawk. They're still listed on Rugers website and one dealer told me he is expecting them in. New rugers in .44 are hard to find.

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have one, too. I love shooting that thing, only wish the ammo is not $33 a box. The factory Hogue rubber grip is a bit odd. Feels too long in my hand (distance from the frontstrap to the backstrap), and it spreads my fingers a little too wide. There's a visible gap the ring and little fingers. Wish they didn't use finger grooves...

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Code:
    I've owned a ruger super blackhawk 44mag 7.5" and a ruger super redhawk 44mag 7.5". They were both plenty accurate, but were so long and heavy that I never used them for anything. Ideally I'd like to find a 5.5" redhawk, but I missed the boat on one of those so the 4" is my only option. I've held them and I think I could handle one of those with big smile on my face.
    If you think those are heavy......I have a Super Black Hawk with the 10 1/2 barrel....now that's heavy!! But the recoil ...even on heavy loads isn't that bad. :draw:

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    I have a super redhawk in .44 that is a tac driver at 50 yards. Does well at 100 off a bench. But holding it is top heavy.

fkmb9v.jpg

33m3394.jpg

33o47ky.jpg

Top Bottom