• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    i like the price and availability.

comparisons to Beretta welcome, but no "Taurus sucks" comments. i need to know why. thanks.

I had one years ago. I loved it.

It doesn't suck compared to the Beretta, but the Beretta is better, and worth the extra $$ IMHO. The Beretta is smoother, has a better trigger, is more accurate, feels better in the hand (my hand, at least,) has a more durable finish and will resell better if that is important to you. Also, you may find it easier to locate holsters and magazines for the Beretta, they no longer interchange like they used to.

On the plus side for the Taurus, I like the safety better. A frame mounted, decocking safety is a concept that just makes sense. Why it's not wider spread I cannot understand. The Taurus is acceptably accurate, both my PT99 and PT92 and if it's priced $100 or less than the Beretta worth looking at. But, do try them both out before laying down cash.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    thanks for the input joe.

i figured the beretta was the better gun, but they are harder to come by (in SS). and with the taurus available and cheaper...well, i'm an inpatient man :). it seems that several other reviews on the internet mirror yours, more or less. looks like taurus has a good rep with these models, as opposed to their seemingly hit-or-miss 1911s and (older) Millenium guns.

i think i might pick this one up. i have a PT1911 and i discovered I really like larger, all metal guns. i think if the PT99 shows its worth, my trust Sigma might have to go.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    East Central In.
    I had a PT 99 AFS (stainless, adjustable sight) until October, when I traded it off. I've regretted it since. It was very accurate, reliable (never had a FTF or a FTE with it) and comfortable (but I have big hands). If the price is reasonable, jump on it.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I own a Beretta, and my Father owns a Taurus. I prefer the Beretta. I personally like the slide/cocking lever being mounted on the slide. I also think the Bereeta has a better feel, and a better trigger. I also fell the Beretta is a little lighter in weight. A lot more options in terms of accessories for the Beretta. As said before they also have a higher resale value. If you just want something to plink with. Then I would just go with the Taurus.

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    i have owned berettas and i have owned taurus's my girlfriend's dad still has a beretta and both my uncle and i have beretta inox's they are both great guns. as others have said the beretta has better resale value and a much better finish.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    For those of you who have used both, how do the grip sizes compare?

Grip size is more or less the same, the grip shape is different. The Taurus doesn't sit in my hand quite as comfortably. You gotta hold 'em side by side to see what they feel like to you.

B

bill32

I have a Taurus PT99AFS and a PT24/7 and a Baretta PT92. Both the Taurus' are great guns, feel good and are accurate and don't jam. I hate the Beretta. Beretta's mag release, down on the bottom of the grip is stupid, decocker is clunkly and it doesn't have the safety features of the Taurus. Am looking to trade off the Beretta and get a PT100 AFS.

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    I've owned both the pt92f / pt92af.

only had a problem once. I talke to Taurus, sent it back and they returned in less than two weeks.

I'd squeeze the trigger and nothing would happen. Sent it in and never had a problem with it since. (they sent a free magazine and new trigger lock with it.)

Since then I have gotten rid of a few guns because of a divorce but I still have about 20 magazines (half are still new and packaged.)

The guns shot great; I would not hesitate to carry one for SD. They ate anything I fed them.

Super38

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    That was my first pistol! I had it and another until the fire. One of the smoothest shooting 9mms I ever shot. Since I had to rebuild my gun collection I have eliminated 9mm, but if I hadn't I'd get another one in a heartbeat. I never had any issues with mine in 15 years of ownership.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Would you be interested in selling mags you mentioned in thread? I have the same Taurus Pt92-af SS 9mm. It is available if interested, in excellent shape.

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Would you be interested in selling mags you mentioned in thread? I have the same Taurus Pt92-af SS 9mm. It is available if interested, in excellent shape.

I can do that. I no longer have any of my Taurus guns. :dunno:

I have ten -- 9 of 10 are new

PM me if you're interested..

Thanks

Super38

Last edited:

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    If you're not interested, let me know so that I can place them in the classifieds.

Thanks
    Super38

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I have a PT99 AF that was produed in 1994 and it is more accurate than I am. After shooting and carrying the Beretta M9 for years in the military I have to say I like the features such as the frame safety and other aspects of the Taurus better than the Beretta. IMO the Beretta has a bit better finish though.

dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    Taurus PT99 was the first gun I ever bought. I sold it to a friend of mine during some hard times, and I've never gotten over it. I LOVED that gun. :crying:

Top Bottom