• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My hunting partner was just given a loaner he'll be using this season and I'm planning to buy one here in the next month or so. Curious if anyone here has one or has used one enough to form an opinion on using them in the woods. I owned a nice mountain bike about ten years ago and tried to go riding with my younger brother who was into it pretty big at the time. I found it wasn't my thing as I bouncing quite as well as I used to. That's about the extent of my experience with bikes of this type but it wasn't a fat tire.

Curious to hear any experiences good or bad with brands, design advantages you've found (mid drive/hub) or riding in or out in the dark. We plan to have trails cleared in advance so we shouldn't be smacking ourselves in the face at 10mph but I'm not sure how easy it will be to navigate on one in low light.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I was watching a ham that uses one to get to his activations in the boonies. He seems to like his.

I've watched several hours of video reviews at this point, I just don't trust who may or may not be on the take and reviewing accordingly. I didn't figure the odds were great that we had many here but figured it was worth asking.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I had a spot that had a long walk to a spot where I rigged up atv gun holders on the handle bars of my mountain bike. They held a bow pretty solid and using a head lamp worked like a charm. The nicest thing was not getting all sweaty from a long walk.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I've got a buddy that used a mountain bike in the past and now uses an electric bike. I do not recall details though...my apologies.

I do know he likes using it as a relatively quiet mode of transportation to get in and out of certain areas.

I thought it was kind of silly at first, but then I saw it in action.

He can move from area to area pretty quickly as the hunt requires.

He keeps trails cleared as you mentioned.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've been following them for a bit, off and on. Happy to see pricing becoming competitive somewhat.

I'd like to see some of the budget bikes with enough sales and time in the business to have a good online forum following for advice, support and aftermarket. Also battery longevity, compatibility, etc.

I'd also like to see same bike with the value option to buy at least one additional bike transportable battery, maybe two?

Dont forget to keep in mind that all of these are Chinese made...

electric bike starts house fire

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Interesting idea. If I was going to the trouble to ebike it, you bet it would have a trailer for the deer to. :)

Or you could spend 12k on an electric off road motorcycle(what is the difference other than power/range at this point?)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    One thing I just thought of. Even though you will be keeping the trails cleared, I'd still wear safety goggles for the ride in/out. I was bushwacking one day and had a limb smack me in the face and scratched my cornea. Man that was painful.

You never know when something might appear on the trail in your way, especially if its before dawn.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    On the news last night.:cool:

"This is not going to stop, everyone in this neighborhood has a bike and scooter, I mean everyone," Crespo said.

If I end up with one of these, I'm already planning an outside charging strategy. Some would say, I'm already paranoid about house fires? Dad was a volunteer fireman his whole life.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    "This is not going to stop, everyone in this neighborhood has a bike and scooter, I mean everyone," Crespo said.

If I end up with one of these, I'm already planning an outside charging strategy. Some would say, I'm already paranoid about house fires? Dad was a volunteer fireman his whole life.
    Maybe build a small shed out of corrugated steel to keep it in and charge. That way if it does go up in smoke, maybe the steel will help keep to damage localized inside?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wish there were an American made alternative but I wouldn't be able to afford it if there was unfortunately.

Exactly.

Also brings up another question; With them all being made in China (or the parts anyway,) is a 4K ebike better than a 1K ebike. Especially with sales so much higher for the economical ones? The more sales equals the more online forums, reviews, commentary, support, etc. Kinda like when you have a question on your Audi VS your Ford?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Exactly.

Also brings up another question; With them all being made in China (or the parts anyway,) is a 4K ebike better than a 1K ebike. Especially with sales so much higher for the economical ones? The more sales equals the more online forums, reviews, commentary, support, etc. Kinda like when you have a question on your Audi VS your Ford?
    Who knows. I'm sure I'll be overpaying to some degree for whatever I end up with but my feeling is that the companies directing their sales towards smaller, more specific audiences (hunting/fishing) are more likely to support the customers than those just selling regular e bikes. I could be wrong but the hunting community and the companies vying for its business is pretty small, largely internet based and bad news travels real fast.

All that said, I'm trying to do as much research as I can before making a purchase. I may buy new, may buy used but I'm probably three weeks or so out from buying so I've still got plenty of time, unless a great deal pops up sooner and I can't resist. I'm a sucker for saving money, especially on bigger purchases.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe build a small shed out of corrugated steel to keep it in and charge. That way if it does go up in smoke, maybe the steel will help keep to damage localized inside?

I was thinking charging outside via cord, far enough from structures that they wouldn't catch?

I could likely charge in my shop, but only when I'm actually working in the building. Close enough to keep track of charging, heat, smells, etc? A dedicated smoke alarm could be used and even the laser thermometer to monitor normal charging temps?

I don't even like to charge my Milwaukee M18 batteries unattended by very far.

I'm probably just paranoid, but I grew up with dad getting fire calls all hours of the night. A large percentage of fire calls were caused by electrical issues. Electrical issues of all sorts.

:nailbite:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I mentioned the shelter because Im about to build one for our family bikes because they take up too much space in the minibarn.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    Not sure your budget, but Recon Power Bikes in Fort Wayne are well built.

I rode one full time at the PD for 9 months, they are a heavy bike, but well constructed.

The customer support was great, had them serviced in Fort Wayne, they were very helpful and downloaded current software updates for efficiency.

They have single and dual drive, also a trailer set up.

Top Bottom