Anyone have a chart for storage times of foods dehydrated AND vacuum packed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not sure about a chart, but my experience tells me that dehydrated vac packed food will last noticably longer than the food will be palatable. That said, less palatable food still has uses. Older tomatoe leathers work great in seasoned soups, stews and the like

"Food" is a pretty broad category also. As is your dehydration method, temp and food handing procedures.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    64   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    We use to dehydrate a lot of stuff, but ended up throwing it away after a year or 2, mushrooms, veggies, etc, some vacuum sealed in bags others sealed in mason jars, did not keep very long, wife bought a freeze dryer and things keep a lot longer for us!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well so far I've tried banana, pineapple, yellow apple, cantaloupe.

Sliced thin.
    Dehydrator

Of those, I have only done cantalope. Assuming you know that fruits dehydrate down to basicly "candy?"

I've had cantalope/honeydew after a year +. They seemed the same as when packed. I allow myself the carbs for fruit that I grow myself, but as the years go by I have been trending away from sugars.

Over years of dehydrating, pretty much all of my dehydrating in recent years is to go with items that are relatively simple to process. Often ending in a storage product that will be used for further cooking, rather than a snack to readily eat itself.

I do zuchini for blending into flour. Tomatoes are turned into leathers.

Onions/garlic are for rehydration in cooking, the same as peppers. Both of those can be ground into seasoning powders. Onions and peppers these days mostly get fermented though. I prefer the benefits and usage of fermented foods.

:twocents:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We use to dehydrate a lot of stuff, but ended up throwing it away after a year or 2, mushrooms, veggies, etc, some vacuum sealed in bags others sealed in mason jars, did not keep very long, wife bought a freeze dryer and things keep a lot longer for us!

How did you know your mushrooms were not keeping?

I have a dozen + quarts of dehydrated mitake mushrooms from a couple/three years back. They have been dehydrated and vac packed in ball jars.

:dunno:

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    64   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    How did you know your mushrooms were not keeping?

I have a dozen + quarts of dehydrated mitake mushrooms from a couple/three years back. They have been dehydrated and vac packed in ball jars.

:dunno:
    My wife said when she tried to rehydrate the mushrooms they would bubble and if you notice any in jars or vacuum bags sticking together not to use them , she is the queen on this stuff been doing it for years and years!!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Put the dehydrated stuff in a bag/container and remove the air. It improves the shelf life and quality, how long you can stretch that out I don't know as we always eat things before they sit around to that point.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    A bit late here, but i can tell you that the chart about strawberries is wrong. I pulled some outa the freezer from 2 years ago and were just fine. Made milkshakes with some and rest for shortcake.

Top Bottom