• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I think they technically count as drug paraphernalia despite the many licit purposes for them... which is a shame, as my friend ordered some lovely mint/rose shisha (sounds a lot more effeminate than it was, actually quite awesome and very smooth), as well as some green apple and cotton candy flavored shisha, and it all was pretty good...way more smooth than any cigar or cigarette ever could be... gave it up mostly and now smoke it only on special occasions (weddings, matriculations, funerals)... been over a year since I last inhaled any tobacco, flavored or unflavored, though I may or may not have left a few mid-grade Cuban cigars I brought over from Canada, the last of which is to hopefully be smoked as my penultimate act on this Earth, as by that point, the health issues will be quite moot. :):

Edit: Appears I'm wrong and they're not illegal.

ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    I love hookah, smoke about once a week. Its a great way to relax with the guys (and girls). Probably unhealthy, but what the heck, we all die sometime.

ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    ...and no, it is not illegal. I own two hookahs; however, if you are pulled over with the actual water pipe in your car, you can be charged with possession of paraphernalia; I could be wrong, and there's a good chance I am.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    You can have a water pipe in your car as long as it has no drug residue in it. No smoking device is illegal unless it has drug residue in it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I think they technically count as drug paraphernalia despite the many licit purposes for them...

Edit: Appears I'm wrong and they're not illegal.

We actually started selling them recently at my cigar shops and we absolutely refuse to sell drug paraphernalia. The police in most towns go around and check stores on a random basis, all my stores have always been clean and the police have been really great and appreciative on their visits.

HOOKA is sort of a weird thing, I don't quite get it, but most of our customers seem to be from ethnic East European decent who are buying it.

A couple of my ladies tried it at a recent trade show, they said it was actually very good. The flavors seem to be pretty wild and I gather most must be sweet as there is a honey/molassass base mixed into the tobacco and many are flavored with various fruits.

There will be some at the INGO CIGAR NIGHT on April 1 in the Schererville store, but I'm not sure if there will be any sampling of them. The cigar representative who is sampling cigars also represents one of the brands of Hooka tobacco and we have that for sale. I'll see if he will sample some of it too...?

INGO CIGAR NIGHT information >>> https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...010_cigar_night_at_pit_stop_cigar_lounge.html

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    We actually started selling them recently at my cigar shops and we absolutely refuse to sell drug paraphernalia. The police in most towns go around and check stores on a random basis, all my stores have always been clean and the police have been really great and appreciative on their visits.

HOOKA is sort of a weird thing, I don't quite get it, but most of our customers seem to be from ethnic East European decent who are buying it.

A couple of my ladies tried it at a recent trade show, they said it was actually very good. The flavors seem to be pretty wild and I gather most must be sweet as there is a honey/molassass base mixed into the tobacco and many are flavored with various fruits.

There will be some at the INGO CIGAR NIGHT on April 1 in the Schererville store, but I'm not sure if there will be any sampling of them. The cigar representative who is sampling cigars also represents one of the brands of Hooka tobacco and we have that for sale. I'll see if he will sample some of it too...?

INGO CIGAR NIGHT information >>> https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...010_cigar_night_at_pit_stop_cigar_lounge.html

Melensdad - thanks for the info as to legality.

I wasn't sure, myself, not that it matters, as I don't own one, but the last thing I would want to do is give anyone the wrong idea as to my smoking. Thanks for the clarification on hookahs.

As for the shisha (flavored tobacco), if I am not mistaken, I think it is simply tobacco with natural (or artificial, as the case may be) flavors, and as you said, molasses... probably added as both a thickener and something to decrease the burn rate and/or to mellow out the overall flavor, not sure... but I'm almost positive that's about all it is... most are very sweet, although there is a menthol flavor, which I guess includes eucalyptus or something, no idea... Granted, it's still smoke and still harmful, but I don't think there's nearly as many additives as cigarettes or cigars... if I was anywhere even close to NWI, I would like to stop by for the Cigar night, if only to sample some of the better brands, as I'm not a strong smoker... but alas, I'm way down here in North Kentucky (Evansville).

Did not realize you owned a retail chain of tobacco/cigar shops... that's pretty cool - are the margins very good? I know that's a very heavily taxed product and high-risk for theft and diversion... :dunno:

Regardless, thanks for the info!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Did not realize you owned a retail chain of tobacco/cigar shops... that's pretty cool - are the margins very good? I know that's a very heavily taxed product and high-risk for theft and diversion... :dunno:
    Its actually VERY difficult to turn a profit. Before I sold my company and retired I opened these up as a way to keep busy. I work 1/2 days 4 to 5 days a week, never have earned a penny from these stores, but it keeps me out of my wife's hair. Basically I did it to turn my hobby into a business, so I get to sit around, talk cigars, smoke them from time to time, and chat with customers. Honestly I don't even know how to use the cash register at the stores, and my managers won't teach me :dunno: Job security for them I suppose. As long as I don't lose too much on the stores they will stay open for a good long while. The Cedar Lake lounge is probably making a profit, the Pine Island lounge is a money loser right now. But as I said, I'm not really needing to make much on these, they are more of a hobby in my retirement.

We are actually closing down my headquarter store on May 1, that one is not a lounge, we are going to move it an reopen about a month later as a much fancier, larger lounge near the intersection of US41 and US30. The other lounges I have a small and very informal, with a store in the back. This new one will be twice the size, with a more formal lounge area, big walk in humidor, probably the largest in the county, or at least close to the largest. The lounge won't be the largest in the county, but it will be bigger than I have.

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Well its not the same thing that you are talking about. But I use a hookah system when I am using my 4 in suction dredge prospecting for gold. And yes I do like to use it. Makes it easier to breath under water.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    You can have a water pipe in your car as long as it has no drug residue in it. No smoking device is illegal unless it has drug residue in it.

I know someone that got a drug paraphernalia ticket for having rolling papers in his car without tobacco. He wasn't a friend, so I have no idea if he was BSing or not.

Anyway, hookahs are sweet. I don't own one, but have smoked out of them several times; soooooo smooth.

It's crazy how much smoke you exhale with absolutely zero coughing/burning sensation...There are some good flavors out there too.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OK silly question, but with a cigarette you inhale the smoke into your lungs. With a cigar you do NOT inhale into your lungs.

What do you do with Hooka smoke?
    1. Is that inhaled like a cigarette, deeply into your lungs?
    2. Or is it inhaled like a cigar, just into your mouth for flavor?

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    survey says: number 1.

i've had mine for about 9 years now. the wife and i love to sit back and ralax around it after the kids are sound asleep. mine's nothing fancy, but it smokes a heck of alot better than most that i've tryed. the current favorite shisha in the house is called silver fox. got it at ali basha on allisonville. great stuff!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I got a little worried about this thread when I first saw it. I used to enjoy the hooka myself, but actually using tobacco with it? Nah, that's just not for me. I bet it's a head rush though!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Hellinois
    I got a little worried about this thread when I first saw it. I used to enjoy the hooka myself, but actually using tobacco with it? Nah, that's just not for me. I bet it's a head rush though!

It's great when paired with a few drinks. The process of smoking naturally makes me a little thirsty, so it works out nice. It's decent to amplify a buzz. If I wan't a good strong buzz I'll throw in a pinch. Hookah is more moderate in my opinion.

I do, however, usually feel crappier the next day after smoking hookah and drinking; as opposed to just drinking.

I've had mine for like a year and a half and maybe used it 15 times. I am into it, but for me it's just a once and a while thing. I have been to hookah bars and I can never seem to get mine to be as flavor full and smooth as theirs lol.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I noticed that there were no pics in this thread so i figured i would show and tell

4455642862_06d9ba37f9_b.jpg

Awesome party hint: Throw about 4 shots of your favorite 50 proof or less liquor into the water reservoir. MAKE SURE YOU LET EVERYONE WHO IS SMOKING KNOW. The heat from the smoke evaporates the alcohol and introduces it into the bloodstream through the lungs. 5 minutes equals more or less 1 beer. Will last for about 45 minutes and serve 8-10 people.

2nd awesome party hint. add about 2 ounces of heavy cream (like the stuff you add to coffee) and lots of ice to the water reservoir for bigger and thicker clouds of smoke. Make sure to clean thoroughly

3rd awesome party hint. Smoke with lightly salted water (1-1/2 tablespoons) instead of straight tap water to increase the flavor of the smoke.

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Great advice! Didn't know about the second and third ones! :D You know, I might have to try this stuff again.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I dabble in the hookah now and then. My neighbor downstairs are students from Saudi Arabia. Cool guys. They have a hookah they brought over from their homeland. It's a nice one, all silver. We smoke it outside on the stoop every once in a while.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010

You are quite correct. However, it isn't just limited to the typical drug use. Normally legal products that are used for illicit purposes, such as formaldehyde, nitrous oxide, et al, violate federal law.

Top Bottom