• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buffalohump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    I give when I can 6 gal. at present. & I don't like needles, I don't watch, there is no money in it. It's a good deal you give old blood away, your body makes new. Seems like everyone is happy. Red Cross girls are nice. That means a lot to old guys. The next best thing to giving blood is getting lucky after

Thunderhead2389

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    I went to a blood drive last summer... I have only given blood one other time, and it was quite a while ago, so I didn't think much of it... Being a hunter, the sight of blood wasn't the problem... the problem came when it felt like they took about 2/3 of my total volume of blood... I got all weird headed, turned pale and about passed out. These nice old woman took care of me (while they sat there and made fun of me) and they filled me with little cans of Sprite... I know those evil woman just wanted my blood... I think they may have been vampires...

leadslinger57

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Peru
    I dont like it at all its really fun if the person is new and doesnt know what there doing, I dont like needles in my mouth either, BUT to make you feel better a friend has something wrong with his eyes and has to get shots in them once a month , I dont know how he can stand that

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    my mom went to school to be a lab tech when i was a teenager; i was always her guinea pig. did blood drives in school, and used to sell plasma when i was a college student. the worst part was the plasma, at the end they pump saline into you that always seemed to be freezing.

haven't donated in years, don't even know if they would take me anymore. i'm not in the world's best health.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    After a surgery, I've been having to have blood tests every 6 months...been a couple years now. If I get a new nurse, I joke about being afraid of needles even though they see my tattoos and piercings. I've had to help nurses find veins in the past as mine are pretty deep and roll bad. As long as they're not digging around too much to find a vein, I don't mind it. I prefer to watch the whole process. Haven't donated blood yet though as when i was motivated to do so, I'd had tattoos or piercings too close to the date.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    I only hate giving blood when they're asking for a donation, only so they can turn around and sell it for $100's to hospitals.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I have the rarest blood type on the planet (AB-). The Red Cross calls me if I forget to come in and donate.

GN

Why would they want AB that desperately? AB is lowest on the totem poll for donations as it can only be given to AB patients. AB is the universal recipient, while O is the universal donor. I'm not saying to stop giving by any means, just that I find it odd that they would want AB that much. Plasma, on the other hand I could understand.

Last edited:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Another year has passed. I had a bad experience today...cold sweat..loss of color...hyperventilating... thought I was going to pass out. It hadn't been that bad since 2010.

Hopefully next year will be better.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Another year has passed. I had a bad experience today...cold sweat..loss of color...hyperventilating... thought I was going to pass out. It hadn't been that bad since 2010.

Hopefully next year will be better.

I always pass out when I give. :faint:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I give to the blood bank 4 times per year. I'm O+ so sometimes they ask for a double dose of the red cells. That's usually not much fun.

I used to hate needles but got over it by selling plasma twice a week as a broke college kid.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I give on a regular basis,so I took my son last time at the Martinsville High School, (we are O neg). He had never donated before and was a little nervous. While I was in the chair I could hear him asking about the size of the needle...THEN i heard him say."16 gauge?? The only thing I know about 16 gauge is that it is the barrel size of a shotgun!

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I give pretty often. It is such a small thing to do that can mean so much for someone who needs it. As for the needles, I just look away during the stick. They usually cover the needle with a gauze pad while you are donating, so you shouldn't have to look at it. As for the blood, it is way down on the floor beside you and you really have to try to see it.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I fainted once when I was around 12. Now I usually just try to turn my head, pinch myself to take my mind off what's going on, etc. I hate the fasting blood tests, because I'm already feeling weak when I go in. I've got multiple tattoos, so it must not be the needle that freaks me out.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I just gave blood yesterday at a local blood drive. I've never had a problem. Had 3 of my kids there with me, and they watched the whole thing. They even went over and felt the blood bag when it was full. 3 people nearly passed out while I was there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They have to pay for their locations, busses, vans, etc. somehow.....Or do you think that landlords are donating their space and bus makers are giving them busses?

Also consider the upkeep on the storage facility. Refrigeration aint cheap either.

I can no longer give blood. Cancer remission.

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    O+ blood. I give double reds each time I go in. The will call and ask me to come in, if it's much past when I can. they have drained about 6 or 7 gallons from me now.

My wife did pass out once, after she came home.

Top Bottom