• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    The local blood bank mailed me a 10 gal cert a few months ago...... If me or mine ever needs any, we're covered.... Some techs can make a painless insertion, and some can't. After 15 years as an EMT locally, I just let the good ones make the stick....

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    They won't take my blood. All you folks who can't handle needles better hope you never get diabetes! I poke my fingers and give myself shots several times every day of my life.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Needles are easy. When I get stuck for my wellness exam I like to watch. In case I have to give myself an IV or something like that in the future ;)

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I give every three months or so. O positive here, which is the most common, so they like to get mine since it is used so often. I have nice big veins, not as prominant as when I used to lift weights all the time, but still stick out there. They take one look and go "ooohhhh, you will be easy". Me and a Marine I used to work with would go to blood drives at work, we would have them stick us at the same time and remove the restriction then race to see who would fill the bag first pumping that little rubber ball. Air Force beat the Marines about every 2 out of 3 times...

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    They won't take my blood. All you folks who can't handle needles better hope you never get diabetes! I poke my fingers and give myself shots several times every day of my life.

I hate needles but if my wife/family/close friends needed it I wouldn't hesitate to do it. But to just go in and do it I hate needles WAY TOO MUCH.

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    I don't mind the needles at all. But I pass out EVERY time. :stretcher: Last time they took 2 tubes for tests, I was all done, sitting there holding the cotton ball on my arm and the room started spinning... I think I came to and passed out again 4 or 5 times. :drool:
    Good thing I warned the nurses ahead of time! :D

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have never donated blood. They have too much trouble getting a couple tubes of blood out of me. The last couple times they used either the inside of my wrist or the back of my hand. They can't hit one up on my forearm.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Just remember that giving blood saves lives.

Some people I have never met saved my life by giving blood. I took something like 18 units of blood the day of my wreck. Some random strangers out there took some time out of their schedules to save my life (not including MD's, nurses, etc). Who knows, maybe some of you guys or gals were involved in it. It would be neat to know who's blood it was that was pumping through my veins keeping me alive. I kind of think of it now like I'm living on borrowed blood. None of my original blood remains. Sometimes I just think about stuff like that...

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    Some people I have never met saved my life by giving blood. I took something like 18 units of blood the day of my wreck. Some random strangers out there took some time out of their schedules to save my life (not including MD's, nurses, etc). Who knows, maybe some of you guys or gals were involved in it. It would be neat to know who's blood it was that was pumping through my veins keeping me alive. I kind of think of it now like I'm living on borrowed blood. None of my original blood remains. Sometimes I just think about stuff like that...

I'm glad you were able to survive. I give blood as often as I can, and I hate it, but I keep going back. Your story may be the kick in the pants I need to make another trip down to the blood bank. Rep incoming.

Edit: Apparently I have to spread the love first. I never remember who I rep...I'll get to you eventually...

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I pass out at the end every time. It's sorta fun, you look over to see what time it is and it's magically way later than it was when you last looked..

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    I don't mind the needles at all. But I pass out EVERY time.

That's me, too. I just lay down now before they even start.
    First time I had a blood draw, I was sitting on top of the examining table (4' off the floor) and the nurse was this petite little thing, probably not even 5' tall. I'm 6'6" 245# and I'm sitting there watching the whole process go down, no big deal. Next thing I know, I'm hearing church bells and then wake up as people are pulling me up... I collapsed right on top of the tiny nurse, pinning both of us to the floor against the closed examining room door. She had yelled for help, but they couldn't get the door open with both of us up against it!

Like I said, I now just lay down before they even start

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I just did my part again and donated a double amount of O- to the red cross. Being a universal donor they usually ask if I will give a double amount and make me sign a waiver. I felt a little weak for about 2 hours but no last affects.

Top Bottom