Anyone else attending college at this time?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm currently enrolled and taking classes through WGU Indy. It's all online, which gives me the flexibility I need while working full time. I'm taking classes for a bachelor's degree in Information Technology with a Security focus. It's a real challenge taking a full load of classes while working full time and trying to have a life at the same time. Just curious if any other INGOers were in the same boat.

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    I just graduated from WGU Indy. Loved the experience and ability to progress as quickly/slowly as you want/need to. Yes some of the classes were tough working full time. I found that I did better matching all writing classes with one of the test only classes. I also did them out of order from what my mentor suggested based on my comfort level with each class. For me I didn't have time during the week to do any school work so did all mine on Sunday's. I finished a B.S. in under 12 months...basically finished a class ever 2 weeks. Good Luck!!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Well, I'm not currently in school, but I went the route of working full-time and going to school for undergrad and law school. It sucks, but I learned to give my full attention to whatever was the priority at the time and didn't try to multitask. If I was with the family, I made the most of it and didn't worry about school or work. If I was at work, I did it to the best of my ability; and the same with school, everything else was put on the back-burner until I was done with the task at hand. Also, I did make time for myself as much as possible. Bottom line, don't fall for the "balanced life" stuff, because it doesn't exist. Something may be neglected at times and that may even be your family. Just make up for it when you can and make sure they know what's going on.

The worst part is, after you graduate you may have the dreams that wake you up. I always woke up thinking I was supposed to be in class or the library. :): But, I could go back to sleep knowing the diploma was on the wall. :yesway:

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    The worst part is, after you graduate you may have the dreams that wake you up. I always woke up thinking I was supposed to be in class or the library. :): But, I could go back to sleep knowing the diploma was on the wall. :yesway:

I look forward to that.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I'm in my third/last year of law school at the University of South Dakota. Luckily I'm in a situation where I've never had to work during school, just during the summers and longer breaks. Stick with it, it will be tough at times, but all trouble will be worth it.

One advantage of not working, while being in SD:

View attachment 32713

Got these yesterday with a buddy on public ground.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'll be done with my MBA 1 class after GI Bill runs out. I've been taking on-line classes off and on since 2004. Finished my BS-BBA in 2012 (military tuition assistance then GI Bill), picked up a Healthcare Analytics Certification from University of Nebraska/Methodist a while back as well.

I did a paper earlier today on Bernie Madoff. He deserved every day of that 150 year sentence.

DanSwanky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Springfield
    I am also in WGU going for Business Management to go along with my other degree. I also work full time. I have a lot of down time at work so I am lucky to be able to do all I need there during the day.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Was doing the same thing this time last year for it technology... Until I was laid off and decided that wasn't the path I wanted to stay on... My first time through college I was working full time, going to class full time and somehow had enough of a life to get engaged to the girl I was dating at the time. Thankfully she had more time and called everything off before a walk down an aisle.

I did manage to get my degree that time as well as a technical certificate.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    M'lady just graduated with her massage therapy degree; I'm so proud of her. She has two bachelors from way back, qualified to instruct as a certified pool operator, and she's about to start on yoga. As intellectually musclebound as I am, I barely got one sheet of paper, but she can cover the wall.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm currently enrolled and taking classes through WGU Indy. It's all online, which gives me the flexibility I need while working full time. I'm taking classes for a bachelor's degree in Information Technology with a Security focus. It's a real challenge taking a full load of classes while working full time and trying to have a life at the same time. Just curious if any other INGOers were in the same boat.

I got my masters degree years ago while working full time. After the first year, my wife got pregnant. I kept working and studying. Then we had our first born, still working, still studying. Then we had our second, raising our one year old, still working, then finally finished. You learn how to allocate time but when the studying is all over, you wonder what to do with all that extra time.

You can do it. It's just a matter of how bad do you want it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well, it seems I have plenty of inspiration, that's for sure. I had received my AAS from Ivy Tech back in 96 and have been working in the field ever since. When I switched over to InfoSec a couple of years ago, I realized I would never get far unless I had a bachelor's degree, so I started with WGU about a year and a half ago and at the end of the week I'll be half way through. Sometimes it's not bad and sometimes it's really tough, but I plan to stick it out :)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Hey, some of us may be able to help you with that GPA; it's all in your approach. I'm more electronics, test & measurement speciality, but I have some mech chops as well.

Top Bottom