Anyone carry their handgun with a lanyard attached?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rattlesnake46319

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Ah, the good ol' "dummy cord"...or "officer cord" as some of us call it. I didn't use one deployed and don't use one when carrying. It's like a chain wallet, IMO. Too easy for the lanyard to get snagged on something.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    I cannot think of a single good reason to attach a lanyard to a civilian self defense pistol. I can think of many reasons to not attach a lanyard to a civilian self defense pistol.

It's just a bad idea, bordering on a stupid idea.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    They sell them because fools will buy them. Think of all the useless crap that is sold under the guise of the best/ultimate/tacticool/covery ops/must have gun accessories. One that is getting a lot of marketing hype/ad space lately is the pistol bayonet by KaBar.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The military, and some LEA's (Law Enforcement Agency) require personnel in certain situations to use them. The Military "requires" personnel in active CZ's to use them so if the pistol dislodges from the holster during rigorous activities the soldier still has retention of the firearm in question.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    The military, and some LEA's (Law Enforcement Agency) require personnel in certain situations to use them. The Military "requires" personnel in active CZ's to use them so if the pistol dislodges from the holster during rigorous activities the soldier still has retention of the firearm in question.

Agreed that they are sometime required in military/LEO scenarios and that is why my first answer was qualified and limited to civilian self defense scenarios.

I've often wondered about the use of lanyards in military situations. I think I remember reading that they were thought to be an especially good idea for mounted cavalry who cannot easily pick up things they drop.

Still, the thought of having a handgun on a lease bouncing around behind me as I fight my way through an urban combat zone makes me a bit nervous. I've always been taught that if you drop your pistol, let it fall to the ground. Don't try to catch it in mid air because you may grab the trigger and cause it to fire. Seems that if you fighting with your rifle, you may not notice a dropped pistol. God knows what the trigger will hit as you drag the leashed pistol behind you.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    jmb79, you were partially correct in your military history of the lanyard. The Cavalry was one of the main reasons for the lanyard. Trench warfare was the second.

As far as your being taught if you drop it leave it. You also usually have the option of returning to where you dropped the pistol to retrieve it. We in the military do not always have the option or it will be long gone in some countries.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    As far as your being taught if you drop it leave it. You also usually have the option of returning to where you dropped the pistol to retrieve it. We in the military do not always have the option or it will be long gone in some countries.

I guess I wasn't clear. I did not meant to state that if you drop the pistol, leave it and never retrieve it. I intended my point to be that one should not attempt to catch the pistol in mid-air as it is falling. If I drop a pistol, not that I make a habit of it, I let it hit the deck and then recover it as soon as it is safe to do so.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I guess I wasn't clear. I did not meant to state that if you drop the pistol, leave it and never retrieve it. I intended my point to be that one should not attempt to catch the pistol in mid-air as it is falling. If I drop a pistol, not that I make a habit of it, I let it hit the deck and then recover it as soon as it is safe to do so.

I do the same thing. The part I am adding is sometimes the safe to do so is to far to go back after. :D

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Like body armor, I used a pistol lanyard every day while I was deployed. Also like body armor, I have no desire to own or use one stateside.

It was a good thing to have, because things get rough and a holster may not be sufficient to keep your pistol with you. I know of many times that a pistol could have been lost for quite awhile (or maybe forever) if it hadn't been for the lanyard.

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    When parachuting/fast-roping/rapelling, it's a Godsend. Imagine 50 dudes exiting a plane at night, bumping into each other on exit etc., you would never find that weapon if it wasn't attached with this lanyard.....seen it, done it, believe in its use.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Just my opinion, about the only time I can see using one is if your off roading on a 4 wheeler/dirt bike, or horseback. And possibly on a motorcycle on the street. But I can see a problem with the four wheel and motorcycle, that being if the gun catches a wheel and yanks you off.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Just my opinion, about the only time I can see using one is if your off roading on a 4 wheeler/dirt bike, or horseback. And possibly on a motorcycle on the street. But I can see a problem with the four wheel and motorcycle, that being if the gun catches a wheel and yanks you off.

Most lanyards aren't that strong. The one I used was similar to in appearance, and only about as strong as the spiral telephone cord that connects from the cradle to the handset, only without the wire inside it. I doubt that something like that could pull me off a four wheeler. They're only made to keep your pistol attached to you; not to keep you attached to your pistol. The strongest I've used was about like a heavy boot lace. Even that would break fairly easily.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    It seems like it would be useful for rugged conditions, as long as it isnt too long a lanyard. Maybe like a 12" one would work.

Rugged conditions is yes.

A short one is a no go. You can use one that is retractable. You can use one that is like a slinky. But it must be able to extend across you full arm span.

versuchstier147

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't see anything wrong with a civilian OC a pistol with a lanyard. I had thought about getting one for while I'm on my bike. Didn't consider it getting caught in the wheel, though..... Crap..

12" is way too short. You can take a piece that's 36" and fold it a few times and wrap a piece of electrical tape around the middle.

Top Bottom