Anyone actually USE Clay Dot in handgun loads?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have looked and even called and emailed Alliant and they tell me that Clay Dot has only been tested for shotgun loads and they have only done any sort of metering tests with shotgun loading equipment. Both on the phone and in the email I was cautioned not to use it for handgun loads... yet.

SO, I know how Clays meters and I can out it into my AutoDisk to see if Clay Dot works the same but I was sort of hoping to see if it does perform as Clays does or if I should just use it in shotshells and wait for Alliant to have the time to test it for me. I try to remain safe as I can so when I get an answer like I did from Alliant, I look for people who've used it or maybe I wait for the powder company to catch up.

Thanks

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    If the manufacturer doesn't put out load data I personally would not touch it. Having said that, I had some Green dot that wasn't listed in any current load data for 9mm but the Manufacturer sent me some recommended loads after I emailed them.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Thanks, I have emailed and called. I only asked as when I brought the powder up before, there were people who, at least it seemed by the what they said, were using it in loads calling for CLAYS as a direct substitute.

I do thank you for you caution, it is how I am too. If people had been using it though, I would be able to know what to do by how things worked for them. I still wouldn't necessarily act on the information but I do want it nonetheless. From it I might be able to work up some light, target round to try out at least.

However, it appears that no one has used it yet so the two pounds I have if it will just have to sit patiently in my powder magazine until I am ready for them. ;)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom