• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    In a few weeks in plan on taking a hike. I used to hike 10-15 miles trails easy by myself but have not did anything near that for a few years. I really want to get back into it but I want to take my 6 year old son along on this hike. He loves the outdoors and practicing survival skills so naturally he is very excited. I live 15 minutes from Brown County State Park but do not know about the trails there. I want a trail that would be challenging but not too strenuous for my mini me. What trail do you suggest?

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    In a few weeks in plan on taking a hike. I used to hike 10-15 miles trails easy by myself but have not did anything near that for a few years. I really want to get back into it but I want to take my 6 year old son along on this hike. He loves the outdoors and practicing survival skills so naturally he is very excited. I live 15 minutes from Brown County State Park but do not know about the trails there. I want a trail that would be challenging but not too strenuous for my mini me. What trail do you suggest?

They have everything from nice short trail's to long one's that in hot weather you will want to take a cammel back or something :)

I used to hike off the trail's when I was in SAR........ a lot of cool stuff out there including a rather creepy shack haha.

Id like to hike the long one's this year..... I tend to like hiking off trail tough.

suby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Greenwood
    ddd

the Nebo Ridge trail is just south of BC state park also. take 135 south from 46 until you come to the three way stop at Story. Go straight and follow the gravel road for a while. It's back the somewhere... Browning Hill too with all the limestone slabs. It's all Hoosier National Forest land too so it's free unlike BCSP...

sptland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Howe, IN
    I was in Brown County last summer - my kids (10 & 7 yrs old) went on several of the trails - including trail 6 (which starts @ the nature center and wraps around the lake) -- they did fine but were a little tired once we returned.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Dont forget about the trails down the road from Brown County State Park in Yellowwood.
    +1 - This is where my wife and I used to hike a lot. Scarce-o-Fat will give you a bit of a workout. I think the Gobbler's Rock has finally fallen, but those were some nice, easy trails. Crooked Creek Lake (on the other side of 46) has a nice little trail around it, and is OK fishing (Bluegill, Crappie, Smallmouth).

Scare-o-Fat starts below the spillway. Info on Gobbler's Rock is here:
    Unionville, IN - Gobbler's Rock-in-Tree - Gone

Edit: Yes, your CCW will be fine and legal. OC would be legal as well (state park).

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    With the cuts in state parks I bet that this weekend there will be no one to take your money anyway. If it is close by the park pass is a bargain and will get you in all year at any park. Trail 6 is cool little lakeside walk not a real hard trail. Might get to see some turkeys as they feed the birds at the nature center and the turkeys check out the feeders often.

Spring mill has one of my favorite trails in the nature preserve. It is one of the only old growth forest left in the state of indiana. It is next to twin caves I believe. Once again not a rough trail but very cool to see what a real forest would look like if we (All of us) had left nature alone in a few places.

Versailles state park has a very tough trail I can not remember which one it is but it is up and down the whole way.

beclende

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    West of town
    the Nebo Ridge trail is just south of BC state park also. take 135 south from 46 until you come to the three way stop at Story. Go straight and follow the gravel road for a while. It's back the somewhere... Browning Hill too with all the limestone slabs. It's all Hoosier National Forest land too so it's free unlike BCSP...

I spent a lot of time down there last spring hiking and taking photos of native herps...great area and not a lot of people on most days!

Top Bottom