Anybody here running the BCM KMR KeyMod Rail? Is KeyMod the bee's knees anyhow?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Hey guys. Putting together my "dream build" after building multiple AR's. Here's the threads relating to this build....

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...sight-blade-while-still-barrel-good-idea.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...rmory-may-have-screwed-up-need-your-help.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ul-stealth-gray-mft-minimalist-gray-help.html

Anyhow, my sights are set on handguards now. What I'm looking for is SUPER light, full length, rugged, freefloat. So unless you guys can talk me out of it, I'm looking at the 15" BCM KMR. What say you?

184.jpg

Last edited:

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I like keymod, lighter, smaller and feels good in the hand. I've not held a KMR before but I've held my 7" NSR and a SP3R V3 by Seekins and they are both ridiculously light and feel good in the hand.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    I like keymod, lighter, smaller and feels good in the hand. I've not held a KMR before but I've held my 7" NSR and a SP3R V3 by Seekins and they are both ridiculously light and feel good in the hand.

Can't find the weight on Seekins' website. The rail alone on the 15" BCM KMR is 5.9oz. With mounting hardware, 8.1oz. That's pretty darn good. But man are these things expensive ($275)! NSR would be 11.8oz at $290!

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    This is what I have in 12.37" version:
    Samson Evolution Series KeyMod Free Float Handguard AR-15 Aluminum
    The 15" runs ~$150 right now. It is a few ounces heavier than the BCM (10.9oz), but still very light and uses a mil-spec barrel nut (if that matters). One thing I've noticed though on my 14.5" lightweight rifle, I think it is possible to not have enough weight out front.

That was my second choice. Is that weight with the mounting hardware? Plus it would be even heavier at 15". $100 difference is substantial though.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I really like the KMR attachment method, it makes sense and is probably one of the best around. I cannot bring myself to get behind the keymod idea. I haven't researched it thoroughly but I also haven't seen any issues with some of the other accessory options on the market. I just installed a Centurion CMR on a 14.5" coyote upper and will be installing an 11" on my 12.5" work upper when it comes in.
    IMG_0984_zps24fa68a9.jpg

Last edited:

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    That was my second choice. Is that weight with the mounting hardware? Plus it would be even heavier at 15". $100 difference is substantial though.
    Yes that is total weight. There is no mounting hardware except for heat sink bushings that clamp onto the factory barrel nut.

edit: 15" weighs 12.8oz total.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    My BCM Upper just came in, it has a KMR rail. Due to a short illness & vacation (times are hard), may be a few weeks before I take it out. Upper is very light, & I really like the way it looks. If I don't forget between now & tomorrow after work, I take some pics & post.

PS: Lower plan is Spikes Punisher, LWRC Traditional LPK, Spikes Mil-Spec Tube w/ ST2 buffer, still debating on stock. Thinking about going stealth grey, but may just keep it black. Really like the Hogue Overmolded Grips.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Or you can just keep your existing FSB and throw this on. Can be had for ~$250. Free floats your barrel with ease and only adds 9.8 ounces. I will be getting another one for my other Noveske Upper I receive today.

Omega 9.0 Rail
    attachment.php

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'm pretty happy w/ the 10" kmr on my sbr.
    it's very sturdy. The installation was one of the more difficult I've done. (I found it easier to put the upper alignment tab thingy on the rail first vs on the upper as the directions indicated).

The BCM keymod sling mount worked pretty nicely on it; less bulky than rail-mounted sling mounts. about the only other thing I'll mount on mine is a flashlight. I'll probably put some kind of cover on eventually (may try the BCM, don't really want to shell out for the MI covers since they are so pricey) just to round it out and add some grip.

As for as key mod vs rails, I don't much care as I don't put much on my guns. But key mod is MUCH nicer to shoot/grip than quad rails.

SBR1_zpsbc7291a6.jpeg

Last edited:

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Yes that is total weight. There is no mounting hardware except for heat sink bushings that clamp onto the factory barrel nut.

edit: 15" weighs 12.8oz total.
    Thank you.
    Or you can just keep your existing FSB and throw this on. Can be had for ~$250. Free floats your barrel with ease and only adds 9.8 ounces. I will be getting another one for my other Noveske Upper I receive today.

Omega 9.0 Rail
    attachment.php
    I really wasn't looking for a full quad rail and all. Looks nice though!
    I'm pretty happy w/ the 10" kmr on my sbr.
    it's very sturdy. The installation was one of the more difficult I've done. (I found it easier to put the upper alignment tab thingy on the rail first vs on the upper as the directions indicated).

The BCM keymod sling mount worked pretty nicely on it; less bulky than rail-mounted sling mounts. about the only other thing I'll mount on mine is a flashlight. I'll probably put some kind of cover on eventually (may try the BCM, don't really want to shell out for the MI covers since they are so pricey) just to round it out and add some grip.

As for as key mod vs rails, I don't much care as I don't put much on my guns. But key mod is MUCH nicer to shoot/grip than quad rails.

SBR1_zpsbc7291a6.jpeg
    Kinda what I was thinking too. Flashlight would be all I run as well. But the I like the lightweight, longer sight radius, freefloat combination. No sense in adding a bunch of weight with rails I'll NEVER use.

Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    While I love the look and feel of the KMR I was also concerned that the Keymod system was just a passing fad. However now everyone is making Keymod rails and attachments and the system really seems to be catching on. I think there is a KMR in my future... With the extra unnecessary weight of QRs it seems almost antiquated to use them, however I still love the way they look.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I run the 11" Daniel Defense KMR and really like it - you mentioned flashlights - Inforce WML tech told me theyre coming out with a KMR mount - without the need for a short rail it makes it a little lighter - theyre very nice lights alil salty but worth it love mine - sorry for slight threadjack - was unintentional

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I just put a KMR-10 on my 11.5" SBR upper. Haven't shot it yet, but it looks and feels great. The BCM keymod sling socket and short VFG are well-executed accessories that are a seamless match to the handguard.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Haven't run a KMR yet, but I'm in the camp of slim lightweight rails vs. bigger bulkier quad rails. I'm using a Troy Alpha rail on a carbine and like the light weight. I can place short rails where I need them vs. having all that extra rail space that just needs to be covered anyway. I'm guessing that if that rail is good, the KMR is even better given the development of the mounting sytem.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I've drunk the KMR Kool Aid, and it's good. I went from quad rails to Geiselle SMR's and the SMR's feel great, but they weigh (almost) as much as a quad rail. Tried a Noveske NSR and it was OK... lighter than an SMR but I didn't care for the mounting method. Then I tried the KMR... The finish is not exceptionally durable, but the weight, mounting system, and (subjectively) feel of the KMR more than make up for scratches.

10.5"

12.5"

Pinned/welded 14.5" lightweight

Top Bottom