• ...and so much more!
  • Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Hey all,

I haven't jogged, since, well, gym class in middle school, so I'm a bit out of practice. I'd like to start jogging to get in better shape, and I've tried a little here and there. I've learned that music is really nice to have, but I don't know what to listen to. It has to be upbeat, which has been the problem that I've found so far - nothing that I have keeps me moving.

Suggestions?? I'm trying to break into the 10-minute mile range, but my music is slowing me down..

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    You could go with some rock. Here are a few that keep me going.

AC/DC-Back in black
    Bush-Chemicals between us
    Chevelle-The red
    Cold-Just got wicked
    Dropbox-wishbone
    Low fidelity all starts-Battleflag

Or go with some rap
    David Banner-Run girl
    Kayne West-Stronger
    Outkast-Bombs over baghdad
    Pharrell-Turn it down
    Lil John-Why you f'in with me

These are a few I use when I go to the weight room. Stuff to keep you going.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    When I'm on the treadmill at the gym I average 3.5 - 4.2 mph, which is more of a fast walk than a run.. but here's my playlist:

Out of Control by She Wants Revenge
    Golden Years by David Bowie
    Smooth by Santana (featuring Rob Thomas)
    Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss by the Bloodhound Gang
    Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode
    Lay Your Hands on Me by Bon Jovi
    The Animal Song by Savage Garden
    Take the Rain Away by Debelah Morgan
    Hey Baby by No Doubt
    Making Out by No Doubt
    Maria by Ricky Martin
    Desert Rose (Melodic Club Mix) by Sting
    The Boys are Back in Town by Thin Lizzy
    Eye Conqueror by Third Eye Blind
    Low Rider by War
    Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode
    Takin' Care of Business by Bachman-Turner Overdrive
    The Cup of Life by Ricky Martin
    All She Wants to Do is Dance by Don Henley
    Can't Fight the Moonlight by LeAnn Rimes
    and The Power by Snap!

I know.. crazy.. but they all have a pretty consistent rhythm to walk/run to.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My current playlist for runs includes:

The New Black - Every Time I Die
    The Evil Has Landed - Testament
    When Death Comes Out to Play - OverKill
    Nadir - Byzantine
    Hole in the Earth - Deftones
    Dull Boy - Mudvayne
    Skull & Bones - OverKill

DISCLAIMER - this music isn't for everyone. But, I like my music edgy when I run because I'm a bit edgy when I run.

ETA - if you haven't gone out and gotten a good pair of shoes - go now. I can't tell you how happy I was after I did that. My knees, feet and back were happy, too. The Runners Forum in Carmel or the Running Company in Broad Ripple both have great, helpful staffs. My personal preference is Brooks.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Hmmm, replies...

Slow1911s - I found the shoe thing out pretty quick. My old shoes, and I do mean old, weren't cutting it. My wife's boss ran a shoe store for years and ran marathons competitively, although now he's taking it easy in his older years and going more 5k and 10k runs. Anyhow, he took me shoe shopping and it made things MUCH more comfortable.

Your music looks interesting - I'll have to check it out..

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot, I'm looking for somewhere between 180 and 190 bpm. I'm trying to get to the top of the "jogging" zone without getting into "running". Seems to be about right, from what I've tried.

Pami - your mix is ecletic, much like my listening tastes.. I've got a handful of those on my MP3 player right now, but I need faster!

Turn/Shoot - good mix, but better for the weight room. I've got most of those on CDs for lifting, but I need more uptempo for jogging.

Cwood - If I run without music, I get distracted, and it makes me want to stop. Or I start chasing squirrels or something, which ends my run when they get to a tree (I don't climb trees)

Maybe that's my runner's ADD kicking in.. :hmm:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    There's only 1 song you need..."I'm Gonna Be (500 miles)" by The proclaimers.

Pop it in, press repeat.:):

BTW, this is a really odd question to ask unless you haven't listened to music since middle school either. :)

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Well, I've kinda tried to figure out about where I need to be with different songs. Most of the songs that I have "let" me slow down, which just isn't allowed to happen, gosh darn it!!

Even some of those "hip" songs the youngsters listen to aren't fast enough. The closest I've found so far is "Freeze Frame". Yeah, I know, it's showing some age, but it's up-tempo..

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Looking through the rest of my library...

Feel Good Inc. - Gorillaz
    Sting of the Bumblebee - Manowar (actually a few songs from the Kings of Metal album would probably work)
    The Devil Went Down to Georgia - Charlie Daniels Band
    Migra - Santana (although that might be a bit slower than you want)

I still think Desert Rose (club mix) and Uhn Tiss would be about the tempo you're looking for. :dunno: most of my songs keep me between 120-145 bpm and are what i listen to at work to keep me moving. ;)

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Well, I've kinda tried to figure out about where I need to be with different songs. Most of the songs that I have "let" me slow down, which just isn't allowed to happen, gosh darn it!!

Even some of those "hip" songs the youngsters listen to aren't fast enough. The closest I've found so far is "Freeze Frame". Yeah, I know, it's showing some age, but it's up-tempo..

Wait, you mean the speed of the song actually dictates the pace at which you run?:scratch:

You can't just tell yourself to run faster?

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Wait, you mean the speed of the song actually dictates the pace at which you run?:scratch:

You can't just tell yourself to run faster?
    and yes.. the beat of the music helps me determine at what rate my feet hit the ground.. like keeping time with my whole body not just a toe tap. My guess would be that bubba is the same way. :)

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Here is what I listen to usually when lifting/running.

The Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson
    Whiskey In The Jar - Metallica
    When Worlds Collide - Powerman 5000
    Dig - Mudvayne
    Let's Go To War - The Murderdolls
    742617000027 - Slipknot
    Sic - Slipknot
    Bleed For Me and Countierfeit God - Black Label Society
    Anything Pantera
    Feurer Frie - Rammstein
    Superbeast - Rob Zombie
    Spit It Out - Slipknot
    Destroyer and Push It - Static X (pretty much anything these guys too)
    A Trigger Full Of Promises - Walls of Jerhico
    Fistful of Steel - Rage Against The Machine

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    My jogging playlist consists of some of the following bands

The Scorpions (Rock you like a hurricane with the orchestra intro is the best)
    Godsmack
    Disturbed
    Breaking Benjamin
    Three days grace
    Pearl jam
    Metallica
    Shinedown
    Seether
    Audioslave

If that stuff don't get your blood pumping nothing will!

I normally listen to country, but for running I can't do it. I need something fast with good guitar part (although I must admit Brad Paisley is a genius on guitar)

lmaroska

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    Purdue
    here is some of the stuff i listen to when i'm joggin'

To Live and Die by Fire - Still Remains
    White Walls - Still Remains
    A Monument Encased in Ash - The Showdown
    Iscariot - The Showdown
    Rose of Sharyn - Killswitch Engage
    A Call to the Faithful - Inhale Exhale
    Take this Life - In Flames
    Storm the Gates of Hell - Demon Hunter
    Six - All that Remains
    Composure - August Burns Red
    Forsaken - As I Lay Dying
    Cyanide Sweet Tooth Suicide - Shinedown

pretty much all metal except for Shinedown

rcuhljr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Carmel
    If want to get moving in the gym?

Hatebreed - I will be heard YouTube - Hatebreed - I Will Be Heard
    Nonpoint - Bullet with a name [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOO4VZeH4-g"]YouTube - Nonpoint-Bullet With A Name[/ame]

A lot of other stuff, fear factory, pantera (guaranteed to add 20 pounds to your lifting), sepultura, rammstein, deftones, and this is quickly just turning into a 'what do I listen to' list :P Basically anything loud and angry with solid muscianship backing it. If you're looking for a long run catch 33 by meshugguh is basically a 33 minute long song broken up into an album :)

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Lots of soundtrack stuff, but nothing beats these:

The Cult (not Blue Oyster, not hard enough for jogging), particularly Firewoman, She Sells Sanctuary, Love Removal Machine
    U2: Streets that have no name, Bloody Sunday
    Rammstein, Pretty much anything by them
    Yoko Kanno: Borderline
    Theme song from Last of the Mohicans (gets me really going for a power mile in between each of the 7).
    White Zombie (same for the power miles): Supercharger Heaven
    Apollo 440: Stop the Rock, Spider Man
    Fluke: Absurd, Atom Bomb
    Mars Volta: Cicatrix (ESP version is great, but fast forward through the space part in the middle, really hard crazy song for running, great stuff, very 70s car raging in the street stuff), Eritarka (spelling)
    Chevelle: Youre Right

Etc.. List goes on and on, about 5 gigs worth.

For really long runs: I love Godspeed you Black Emperor. That band has a very spacy feel (like Mars Volta) but when you begin to get flooded by endorphine, it makes one almost immune to pain/high as a kite. I love their songs East Hastings, Rockets Fall on Rocket's Fall, and Moya. Very ending song type of music. I almost put myself in a hospital with this music b/c I "forgot" my muscles.

When stretching, I love Holst, its classical, but particularly, Mars, the God of War. Really pump up type of music, but time your stretch to the overture being the beginning of the run, with a good faster beat song behind it to maintain the edge, then ease into cruise.

Each music type is usually modified to the running for the day. Lately, I have switched out of running long to fast. I try to get in 3 miles rickey-tick, instead of churning out 7. In respect, I have adjusted my music to harder, faster music that pushes me farther. I am very suceptible to music and is a key element in my running/exercise (except the gym, I like to have a partner and cant listen to music, which incidentally, Does anyone here go to the Plainfield Gym? Need a lift man!).

Top Bottom