anybody have experience training dogs? specifically Pitt bulls?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    My Pitt is about there years old and for the most part he is not very obedient. He is about 45-50 pounds. What are some good methods or books on training? I dont want a guard dog or a mean dog because he is around my mother and grandmother. I was told those shock collars are good. What's a good one that will get the job done. What experiences do you have with training them?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    If he is a year old and not very obedient, get some formal training ASAP.

If you don't know how to properly train your dog, get help now before he gets loose and hurts someone.

There is nothing worse than an irresponsible (big) dog owner, especially with Pits.(I'm not calling you irresponsible, considering you are looking to take steps forward)

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    No he is not irresponsible. He listens to me but not the way I would like.

Hehe, I was talking about an irresponsible owner.:D

He's a dog, I wouldn't expect him to be too terribly responsible.:):

If he doesn't really listen to you, it means he doesn't really respect you...That's not good.

There are dog obedience classes EVERYWHERE...Go take some. They are relatively cheep for what you are looking to do.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    PLEASE refrain from shock collars. They don't do what you are wanting it to do.
    At your dogs age it is VERY important to get a professionals help.
    Wish you the best!

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    CONSISTENCY is the trick. Dogs want to listen they really and are obedient, but just like little kids they need structure and consistent discipline. Make it clear to them what you want and stick to that.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    If you want to drop the coin you should check out Mixed Up Mutts. They are at westville correctional and do something like a 4 and an 8 week course. Their Prison Tails program does work, and I would say that their training program works too, but i never asked when I was there.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Go get yourself a book on dog training. Concentrate on the simple commands, sit, heel, down, off. Follow the instructions in the book. Don't hold conversations with him he doesn't understands what your saying he understand your body language and tone of your voice. Tell him once and then make him obey. Like redneckpastor said consistency is the key, every day training 5-10 minutes. The problem with hiring someone to train your dog is that most people don't keep up with the training so they just waste their money.

Last edited:

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    Oh, what the heck, I'll throw in my 2 cents:

To properly train a dog, you need to understand the dog's thought process and pack mentallity. Dogs are pack animals by nature and each pack has a pecking order, with the alpha being the pack leader. In the case of a domestic dog, you are the pack leader. If you can establish yourself as the pack leader, everything else should be gravy.

I'll probably lose man-points for this, but here it goes: Watch several episodes of the Dog Whisperer (I think it's on A&E?). This guy does a good job of explaining the pack mentallity and how to establish yourself as pack leader. If watching that show is not an option, browse the book store for anything related to dogs and their thought process.

Good luck with the dog and don't forget to shower it with effection when it does good!

Last edited:

disengaged

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Madison County
    I recommend taking your dog to formal obedience classes. Typically, you'll go in for an hour to hour and a half, once a week, for six to eight weeks. You will learn basic training skills, your dog will socialize with other people and dogs. You will not regret it. You are probably going to have the dog for fifteen years or so - it's well worth the time and effort.

My wife and I have attended enough classes that we can train the basics at home, but we take every dog (at the very least) to basic obedience class - it's great for socializing and to help stay focused on the training...you will be amazed at how much more you enjoy him.

I think that a shock collar is a very bad idea, especially if you do not have experience training. People tend to over-use them or if they are inexperienced use them at the incorrect time - you'll just make your dog worse.

:twocents:

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I don't want to pay anyone to do what I can do.
    I'm with the poster above me. What are you trying to get your dog to do? Have you accomplished training your previous dog(s) to do what it is you want this dog to do?
    Patience...you need it. If you are looking into extensive training....You CANT do it if you know nothing about it. With a lot of time and effort you can train your dog to do most anything. That being said...most behavioral issues will most likely need a professional. As a previous poster stated...You need to become pack leader. And I also Agree with "The dog whisperer". I know he has a few books out and is one of the best dog trainers out there. Also...the show (TLC) It's me or the Dog has great tips to follow.
    Depending on the temperament of the dog and his activeness you can train him just as well as anyone. BUT, if you have a super hyper dog on your hands....it will be a battle you probably will lose.

Invest in a *clicker* and carry a bag of moist treats with you. This method worked great for my dog (always has been a really calm dog). With these I have taught my dog how to....sit/stay/heel/down/roll over/fetch/jump/leave it be etc. That being said....I also had an over hyper dog that I could get to do NOTHING.
    Every dog CAN be trained...NOT every dog can be trained by the owners.

disengaged

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Madison County
    I don't want to pay anyone to do what I can do.

Obedience Training is you taking your dog in - They teach you how to train the dog in a class.

You and your dog go to a class once a week for an hour. The trainer teaches you what to do and helps you identify any problems. You are doing all of the training with the dog, you just have a professional there to help guide you along.

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    PLEASE refrain from shock collars

YES please don't go to the collar as your crutch. And yes I will say what the heck and throw in my $.02 as well. The point of professional classes is to teach YOU. The person teaching the class could normally train you dog, but they are trying to help YOU do it.

Having said that.....you don't NEED the classes, but you MUST be the trainer. You must be the Alpha and you MUST be consistent. And VERY patient! The dog will learn from EVERYTHING you do (as someone compared it to raising children) both the good and bad. Your consistency is the key. The first couple dogs I trained I lost my patience too often and hated it that they would cower when I got upset. It doesn't have to be that way but you have to have LOTS of patience and stick to a schedule.

All the books I have read over the years were geared toward hunting and typical hunting breeds, so I can't make a specific book recommendation but do a little searching and remember you probably need to read three decent books on the subject and blend together what they all say so you aren't pigeonholing yourself to one method or one person's ideas.

So for a start, what is the dog's name?

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Spend some $$$ on training classes

My Pitt is about there years old and for the most part he is not very obedient. He is about 45-50 pounds. What are some good methods or books on training? I dont want a guard dog or a mean dog because he is around my mother and grandmother. I was told those shock collars are good. What's a good one that will get the job done. What experiences do you have with training them?

I know you are not near Indy but I took our dog to First Friends K-9, a local place that sells and trains german shepards but also any other breed. Eight week class cost less than $100 and you work with your dog at class and at home. I have a small Cairn Terrier but she worked next to Great Danes and just about any other breed out there. Best money I spent. Also get a Training Collar, the one with the prongs, choke collars do not work. My dog is really good with the collar on but with a regular collar she needs more work. I tried the books in the beginning but formal training is the way to go. Best investment you will make as you will learn the right way and you dog will learn to interact with other dogs in close quarters which is equally important.

I am sure there are trainers near you that will do an equally good job with you and your dog. The training is for YOU as much as your dog. Good luck. :):

Dirk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    And I also Agree with "The dog whisperer". I know he has a few books out and is one of the best dog trainers out there. Also...the show (TLC) It's me or the Dog has great tips to follow.
    Depending on the temperament of the dog and his activeness you can train him just as well as anyone. BUT, if you have a super hyper dog on your hands....it will be a battle you probably will lose.

Invest in a *clicker* and carry a bag of moist treats with you. This method worked great for my dog (always has been a really calm dog). With these I have taught my dog how to....sit/stay/heel/down/roll over/fetch/jump/leave it be etc. That being said....I also had an over hyper dog that I could get to do NOTHING.
    Every dog CAN be trained...NOT every dog can be trained by the owners.

+1 for the clicker training method. I have trained only a handful of dogs over the past two years so not an expert by any means but will say that positive training methods will produce 1,000% better/more reliable results. Google Karen Pryor clicker training methods and get started. Find out what motivates your dog; food, tennis ball, tug, etc and use it as a reward for getting the results you want. I use to be an advocate for the e-collar and prong collar but have changed my way of thinking after achieving MUCH better results using positive motivation.

I clicker trained our current doberman to 'smile' at passer-by's on our evening walks (all I have to do is tap the top of her head). You'd laugh your arse off seeing some of the expressions we get.

I know a few trainers in the Chicago area but that's probably out of your reach. If you like, PM me your town/city and I can ask them if they know of any really good/cheap trainers in your area. Also, feel free to PM me with any training questions/goals and chances are I could find you some really good instructional videos or reading material.

Good luck in your training adventures.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom