Any vets here ever apply for disability?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I finally went to the VA yesterday to deal with some issues from my time in the Army. They sent me to a social worker who had me fill out some papers for "disability." I just wanted to be treated, but the rep said I qualify for a great deal of benefits that I had no idea even existed for those without retirement status.

He said I'll have to take a physical and some other assessments. I wasn't comfortable at first, but he assured me the process is relatively quick since my medical jacket was complete and on file. How long does something like this take and how much will I have to be poked and answer questions about how I feel?

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Was the form a 1010EZ? This is the first form one fills out and submits to get you into the VA system. They will determine what group you fall in to by the financial information listed on the form.

Filing for disability based on your service in the military is a whole different procedure. Here in Bloomington there is a Veterans Affairs office downtown where they will help the Vet complete the application and other paperwork necessary. They know the ins and outs of the system and what 'words' to use on the forms. With their help, I now have a **% disability rating.

Good luck! And remember, as in the military, the VA system is the same: Hurry up and wait!

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I need to drag my butt in there sometime before I have to walk on a cane or roll in on a wheelchair. I just didnt want to hassle with it all but now that I am getting older and medical is going up every day, its about that time. Ive been out of the service since 1998.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    1) It takes forever. Literally years in some cases.

2) No, it is not easy. They lose stuff, they forget you exist, they claim you didn't give them things you clearly did, etc. They say there is less paperwork these days, I don't know, but the process sucked for me.

3) The individual caseworkers are generally good people who really want to help you. They are working in a Byzantine system that has grown over the years without ever getting a major overhaul, just a series of bandage fixes. They will try...but there is only so much they can do.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    For my initial claim, it took about 6 months and they denied half of my stuff, including the issues that led me to get a medical discharge from the Army. The appeal process sucks. It took over a year. Only good thing is that they back pay. For the most part, the people were decent but Redtbird said, the saying goes, "Hurry up and wait."

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Slooooow.

My case has been,"in the works", for over three years now on what should have been a,"slam dunk". Still waiting. I have heard that their motto is,"deny,deny until they die", and this would be difficult to disprove by my experience so far. :rolleyes:

PS: I have been a patient at the Indianapolis VAMC for over ten years now and hospitalized there on several occasions for treatment of the condition upon which my disability claim is based. So it is not like they do not have a very complete record of this issue.

Last edited:

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Typically, you get an answer in 6 months to a year. Good thing is, they back pay you from the time you filed, so your first check will be nice. Hearing loss or tinnitus is an easy 10% for most who served in infantry units. Get ready to try and understand VA math. I did all my paperwork myself when I finally made myself file after 15 years of suffering. Most vets come home with that military mindset of not wanting to be a weak link and fail to accept the fact that it's alright to ask for help. It was part of the contract.

What you get the first go around is NOT set in stone. You might file for additional things and increase your %. Also some things are static and some are up for review every 5 yrs or so. If you have a percentage by the time you're age 55, that % becomes static and they can't take it away from you. My second filing took 3 months to get approved and another back pay on top of that.

Here's the current table for disability pay: VA Disability Compensation Rates | Military.com

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Thanks, guys. I should have known this wouldn't be a fast and easy process, although the paperwork was only two pages. The counselor seemed pretty proud about that change in the process. I'm not sure when they will schedule my physical, but I hope the doc doesn't twist and poke to make something hurt. He may catch a reflex.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I've always thought that Vets should go to the front of the line with disability issues and thank you all for your service. It really seems *****d up that someone who serves their country has to jump thru so many hoops for help when those who won't /don't want to work,seem to just skate right thru. I heard on the radio this week that the backlog on VA claims are at least 6-9 months behind.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Thanks, guys. I should have known this wouldn't be a fast and easy process, although the paperwork was only two pages. The counselor seemed pretty proud about that change in the process. I'm not sure when they will schedule my physical, but I hope the doc doesn't twist and poke to make something hurt. He may catch a reflex.

Que, if you are doing this "on your own", and they deny any part, for any reason, go join your local American Legion, or VFW, and use them as a rep..... I applied, and got turned down. Joined the AL, and got it second time around !!!!!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It was a very hard decision to do this. I have been dealing with issues for 20 years and you just get used to the pain. The older you get, it becomes difficult to sleep with migraines, muscle aches, etc. I certainly don't believe I'm "owed" anything, but I won't allow pride to put me in an early grave either. I do hate that it will take so long, but that's how things go.

My FIL died before he could receive his disability and that is one of the reasons my wife pushed the issue.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    My FIL had a bad pacemaker for 3 years and the VA doctors knew it from the phone teats but would not put a new one in.
    Ruined 3 years of his life.
    I don't have much good to say about the VA.
    Watch your back there.

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    Contact the Veteran Service Officer in your county. If you can't locate your VSO contact a VFW or American Legion and they should direct you. Keep in mind that some VSO's are better than others. They can answer your questions and assist in filling out the paperwork to start your claim.

If you need any help PM me and I will give you some assistance. Sometimes VA medical assistance and disability can be different qualifiers.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I've been told from a few sources to not go through the DAV for help on this. They're affiliated with the VA and always lean on the VA's side. Also, you might think this takes long, but if you never start the process, it'll never happen. I'm pretty sure I know how you're feeling about this whole process. As I said in a previous post, it took me 15 yrs before I decided to get over my pride and make something happen, if anything, for the sake of my children. There's more support for you than you may think. Just remember to not back down and fight for what is rightfully yours. Our blood, sweat and tears DOES NOT end after coming home. PM me with any questions or personal details you don't wish sharing publicly. I'm here to help.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Well, I had my appointment with the VA yesterday. I had to talk to a shrink and then see the optometrist. This was cool, but I thought it was very strange they didn't look at my arm, ankle, knee, and hip. Well, I got a call today with the results. I must say, I am not especially disappointed in the percentage, but more so their reasoning. They totally ignored the fact that my arm was almost torn off during a jump and permanently disfigured. They discounted the fact that I had an injury to my eye that causes it to black out and gives me pain every now and then. They also snubbed my claim for ankle, knee and hip pain resulting from years of jumping. What did they count? You guessed it, PTSD! :xmad:

I felt better when I just refused to go. Now that I know these people will quickly label me, but ignore the real damage, it pisses me off! I am going back and they are going to recognize the pain that I deal with!

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Well, I had my appointment with the VA yesterday. I had to talk to a shrink and then see the optometrist. This was cool, but I thought it was very strange they didn't look at my arm, ankle, knee, and hip. Well, I got a call today with the results. I must say, I am not especially disappointed in the percentage, but more so their reasoning. They totally ignored the fact that my arm was almost torn off during a jump and permanently disfigured. They discounted the fact that I had an injury to my eye that causes it to black out and gives me pain every now and then. They also snubbed my claim for ankle, knee and hip pain resulting from years of jumping. What did they count? You guessed it, PTSD! :xmad:

I felt better when I just refused to go. Now that I know these people will quickly label me, but ignore the real damage, it pisses me off! I am going back and they are going to recognize the pain that I deal with!

Welcome to the real battle. At this point in my life it's not worth me fighting. I know a fella who got drunk on annual training, fell down some stairs and gets a $800/MO check for the rest of his life. His back isn't even injured. He never served in combat yet gets PTSD and back injury LOD benefits. :xmad: But real vets have to get their missing leg xrayed...

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Have you talked to the Military Order of the Purple Heart (don't need a Purple Heart)? That's who helped me and it was a fairly easy process. They should have an office at the VA hospital.

Also, are any of your issues part of your military record? That's pretty important and makes the process easier.

Top Bottom