Any thoughts on a water filer/purification system?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looking to build up my 'gig-in' box and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/opinions on a good water purification system/filer?

I talked to guy at Gander Mountain but he couldn't really tell me anything about what they had in stock and then suggested I go for the most expensive model (ha).

I have been reading some reviews online but just wanted to get the INGO member's opinions.

Thanks,
    Hank

floatch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    I have an MSR filter that's small enough to carry in my pack while I'm hiking. It's simple and easily repairable as well as lightweight. I usually carry a small bottle of bleach as well, but have never had a problem drinking river or lakewater with it. I'd suggest taking a look at those first.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I use coffee filters to stain debris out of the water (Cheap and easy to come by) and depending on where I got the water, I boil it. I figure I need to keep it simple, and easy.

sur+rifle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Warrick, IN
    I have used the various Berkey products for years. The Big Berkey is outstanding for "bug in" situations. We use ours everyday to fix "city water" including removing excessive flouride and sentiments. The filtered water is amazingly clear. The Travel Berkey is great for vehicle bug out to a remote location (and everyday RV camping). The Sport Berkey is a good unit for a light BOB and often comes free if you purchase one of the former units. Though I include a Katadyn unit in my BOB so I can more quickly fill my backup Nalgene bottles.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Berkey, Katydyn, and MSR are the big 3 I would look at.

I would also recommend learning how to build your own filtration setup...
    Not really that hard to do...

rphutchi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Have used Big Berkey gravity filter for years and get great water for almost nothing after initial investment.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have a Berkey for the house and Katadyn's for my bags. To be honest the monolithic bucket system gets good reviews for little money and when I buy mine and test it I will give you a real opinion on it. Also, don't forget the ability to make your own filter setup for not to much money using a 55 gallon drum. There is a lot of good info on the web for that.

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    How much are you hoping to filter at once?

I have a Katydyn Hiker, MSR Sweetwater, and just bought a 4 liter Sawyer gravity.

For one person the pumps works great and are lightweight.

For 2+ do a gravity system.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    We have the Big Berkey for the house, Katydyn Voyager for mobile use, and bleach and water purification tablets for backup. I used to backpack out west and never got ill using the Katydyn. I use coffee filters for a prefilter where the water was not clear to the eye. We store gallon jugs of water at home merely using empty bleach bottles. We keep water for about a year in storage then rotate. Good shooting.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Steripen w/ coffee filters (for pre-filtering) is my first choice for the bag, with tablets and MSR filter for backup. The problem I have with most filters is that they do not packing wet in severe cold well (the water left in the filter freezes and damages the filter) which makes it hard to use on the move or for quick top-offs year-round. With the pen and a few sets of lithium batteries (80-100 liters / set), even a 5-yr old can prep a liter of water in about 2 min while I work on other things. For camping and extended use (or home use) I like the First Need XL (one of the few filters to make EPA standards for bacteria, cysts, & virus without chemicals) and can be used either w/ the pump or as a gravity-feed filter.

clarky51

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    I have a MSR MiniWorks EX Microfilter which I used on a week long backpacking trip this fall. Worked great and is small and light weight. It is a little combersome to use though. I finally got a system worked out where I would pump into my camel back which was snapped into a belt loop. Haven't used the Katydyn but would look at it to see if it were more user-friendly if I were back in the market.

clarky51

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    Forgot to mention this also...have recently been researching Berkey's and these look good. Has anyone inquired about their group price discounts?

Top Bottom