• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GMack_1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Montgomery Co.
    Okay.., I've done the research, and I am seriously considering one of these puppies. I realize it's not a "sniper" gun, it's a ranch-rifle..., but I've seen a few with scopes and 3X9's seem to be the choice of most. I've also read and heard that mounting a scope to a mini can be troublesome (because of the built-in mounts..., the scope rides too high to aim easily)? What I've read and heard..., that kind of makes sense..., but I've just done the research and haven't shot one of the darn things.

Feedback appreciated..., and if anyone has any pic's of theirs with a suggestion on optics, then I will be a happy plunker...i.,e varmit-shooter.

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    You will probably get a lot of differing opionions on this but I for one love my mini. However, i do not think most mini 14's are worth the retail price. I was able to find a nice stainless ranch rifle that i bought last year for $375. For that price it is a great gun but i do not think i would pay $700+ for a new one, especially when you can now get a nice AR for that price. Everybodies budget is different but as for as i am concerned these should be in the sub $500 price range and for that they are nice guns.

If you are want to mount a scope and are looking for used guns make sure you look for a ranch rifle version. The other version require a scout style mount. I have no problems with the way the scope mounts on my ranch rifle. The problems you might have been hearing about could be from the scout mount scopes.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I have one of the new ones. And I love it. Great gun, fun to shoot and I haven't had any problems with mine. I mounted a scope on mine (just a cheap one) and found that I like shooting with the iron sights better. For me it's a accurate gun, using the iron sights, out to 100 yrds. I can keep my grouping at about 8", of course thats not a great group but since I'm old and can hardly see that far, it works for me :D. With the factory mags, the thing is a tank. Well built, can drag it through the mud, throw it around and abuse it and it will still fire. My only complaint is the price of the factory mags, but what can you do :dunno:. I have no pics of mine but here is the link to the company web, mine looks just like that, Ruger Mini-14 All-Weather Ranch Rifle Autoloading Rifle

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    I love mine...fun to plink with and with factory mags as reliable as it gets. I also think it is a great shtf rifle:)

More AR guys bash this rifle than all the rset of 223 rifles combined.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    i own 2 of them myself.i picked up the NRA one from a gunshow for $550.and i found one at a pawnshop for $385.their great little rifles.like already mentioned they prefer the factory magazines.ive tried n tried the aftermarket mags with no luck whatsoever.but with the factory mags ive never had 1 issue with them.and their pretty accurate atleast in my eyes as far as the iron sights go.i mounted a scope on mine didnt really care for it.id choose one over an ar anyday.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've owned 3 or 4 at least 2 ranch, If your happy with a blaster and you don't want an accurate gun but a gun that will work with any ammo and in bad conditions

Some people have had better luck with the mini's with iron sights because they "say" the heated or stressed barrel moves and the irons follow the heated barrel better than a scope mounted on the actions.

they are light easy to shoot, the M14/m1a magazine catch befuddle's some people and there is a learning curve

If you like them get one, just remember what their intended for and don't enter any 600yd matches and expect to win.

12bee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I haven't tried a scope on mine, but haven't seen a need for one.I like it just the way it shoots with open sights.Use factory mags and don't get goofy with the price you pay for one.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i always thought i wanted one. but i made i got a ar first then a mini and the mini just doesn't compare. my advise would be to save a little more and get a plain jane ar. i also just cant get usto the way you put in mags on a mini.

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    I picked my standard Mini-14 up at a Texas Wal-Mart 1983. I think I paid $200 for it. Still to this day, with iron sights the first 3 rounds fired from a cold barrel will group under 1.5 inches at 100 yards. After the barrel warms up, the groups open up to about 4 inches. But unless I am just plinking, I rarely need more than one round.
    About 20 years ago I put a scope on it. I fired 10 rounds, took the scope off and never entertained the idea of ever putting it back on. It was too high and moved with every shot.

RH

deo62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    please check out the newer mini target rifle on rugers site, has adjustable tuning weight on barrel and it does shoot minute of angle, great gun, just not an ar

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Okay.., I've done the research, and I am seriously considering one of these puppies. I realize it's not a "sniper" gun, it's a ranch-rifle..., but I've seen a few with scopes and 3X9's seem to be the choice of most. I've also read and heard that mounting a scope to a mini can be troublesome (because of the built-in mounts..., the scope rides too high to aim easily)? What I've read and heard..., that kind of makes sense..., but I've just done the research and haven't shot one of the darn things.

Feedback appreciated..., and if anyone has any pic's of theirs with a suggestion on optics, then I will be a happy plunker...i.,e varmit-shooter.

I'd take the latest generation of it since they beefed up the bolt and tuned/redesigned the thing to be even more close to a M14.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I love mine. I also own AR's and compete with AR's, but I think the Mini 14 is overall a better civilian defense rifle as long as reliable mags are used.

The 1:9 GB with factory mags and Malaysian 55 fmj and Ultimak scout scope mount with a 2X pistol scope spends every day with me, very close at hand.

The stainless 1:7 with factory mags and Federal 69's and Ultimak scout scope mount with a bushnell red dot is my wife's trunk gun.

The mags on a mini can be "flipped" out rapidly with one hand. A fellow by the name of Dean Ingmire taught me how to do it 20 years ago. It makes the reload as fast as an AR.

smokenfire10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Muncie
    Very fun weapons to own, I have a Ranch with scope and believe the scope heighth is fine. Not a bench gun but pretty accurate with a little help. I will try to put some pics up, still figuring out the pic system.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I have a 180 series that I picked up at a gun show around 90 or 91. I never really shot it much because the sights were broken. I recently fixed them and plan on taking it out and getting it zeroed.

Mrcole

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Very nice. I love mine, just wish it wasn't so expensive to shoot now. I used to go through .223 like I went through .22LR. I picked mine up about 3 years ago at a show from a private party, $400 with 6 magazines. I would highly recommend one to anyone, esp in IN :)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom