• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    I've been browsing different outfitters online for a good bear hunt experience. Obviously, I'd love to go to Alaska, but that is out of the budget. I've seen some outfitters in Wisconsin that I could drive to, that offer black bear hunts. I don't mind flying, but if I could find a place within a 10 hour drive, even better. I have hunted deer in IN on private and public land. I have never used an outfitter or guiding service. I have heard horror stories of a guide taking you to a stand, then disappearing for a while. Next thing you know, you hear the sound of a truck, then a metal gate opening, and all the sudden a lethargic animal comes from the direction of the noises. I want a legitimate hunt, not a "finishing from a barrel" type of opportunity. I don't need luxury. While I would gladly stay at a beautiful ranch, I would save money if givin the choice to sleep in a tent. So, have any of you done a black bear hunt? If so, where did you go and what were the pros and cons.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Your best bet is to book with an outfitter in Canada. Just about every state in the eastern USA requires that you get drawn to hunt so you would need to apply and hope to get a tag. That is not the case in places like Ontario where you just go hunting. I have been black bear hunting in Canada twice. The first time was not so great as the outfitter put very little effort into his operation. The second time I had my bear within an hour on the first afternoon in the woods. The rest of the trip was spent fishing. Some things you need to keep in mind:
    -Observe scent control at all times.
    -Be prepared for long hours of sitting without figiting.
    -Do not bring a video game. Bears are the king of moving like ghosts and if you're the least bit distracted you might miss your one and only opertunity. On my first hunt I saw one bear the whole week and the last three days I sat in the woods like a statue from before dawn to after dark.
    -Go with a well recommeded outfitter that has good references from those that were and were not successful.
    -The All-Canada show should be coming up in the next few weeks in Carmel. You will also have the Indy Boat Sport & Travel Show in February to go and talk with outfitters.
    -Most eastern hunts are over bait. Most western hunts are spot and stalk. Those that say baiting bears isn't a true hunt need to try black bear hunting in eastern North America without bait. Bear are nocturnal and live in habitat that you cant see ten feet in any direction. If you don't use bait you will never see them unless your outfitter knows where open blueberry fields are located and then you might get lucky.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    Your best bet is to book with an outfitter in Canada. Just about every state in the eastern USA requires that you get drawn to hunt so you would need to apply and hope to get a tag. That is not the case in places like Ontario where you just go hunting. I have been black bear hunting in Canada twice. The first time was not so great as the outfitter put very little effort into his operation. The second time I had my bear within an hour on the first afternoon in the woods. The rest of the trip was spent fishing. Some things you need to keep in mind:
    -Observe scent control at all times.
    -Be prepared for long hours of sitting without figiting.
    -Do not bring a video game. Bears are the king of moving like ghosts and if you're the least bit distracted you might miss your one and only opertunity. On my first hunt I saw one bear the whole week and the last three days I sat in the woods like a statue from before dawn to after dark.
    -Go with a well recommeded outfitter that has good references from those that were and were not successful.
    -The All-Canada show should be coming up in the next few weeks in Carmel. You will also have the Indy Boat Sport & Travel Show in February to go and talk with outfitters.
    -Most eastern hunts are over bait. Most western hunts are spot and stalk. Those that say baiting bears isn't a true hunt need to try black bear hunting in eastern North America without bait. Bear are nocturnal and live in habitat that you cant see ten feet in any direction. If you don't use bait you will never see them unless your outfitter knows where open blueberry fields are located and then you might get lucky.

Thanks! This is great info. If you hunt in Canada, can you take your own rifle? Also, are their any issues taking the meat or hide across the border back into the U.S.?

jmattox50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I just recently (last week) booked a hunt in Maine. This will be my first one so will have to let you know how it goes. I am going the first week of season for a week.
    Good luck finding your outfitter i just done all my research via the web i didnt have anyone who had been there so kinda risking this one on my own.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    I just recently (last week) booked a hunt in Maine. This will be my first one so will have to let you know how it goes. I am going the first week of season for a week.
    Good luck finding your outfitter i just done all my research via the web i didnt have anyone who had been there so kinda risking this one on my own.

Great! Good luck. Let us know how it goes!

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    I have shot many bears in my time. And the best trick a old indian taught me when I was 15 is annisett extrac. Bring some cotton swabs soak the swabs in it and some on your boots. second smoke a apple flavored cigar while on your stand. this is how I hunted in maine for black bear

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    10 hour drive from Indy, absolutely no lodging or luxury but there is a small hotel nearby or tons of cabins and resorts of all kinds. Just look up Prentice Wisconsin, that is the closest major intersection to the guy I know. He is a friend and guide. If I ever get a bear tag, I will probably use him to make sure I actually fill it.

Last year during his annual game feed and get together he was also taking time to guide a young boy who had just lost his Father. Everyone pitched in to help and make sure he had a successful hunt and of course zero cost to kid or his family. He acts a bit tough, but he is a good guy. If you want his number for this season let me know. He always books full up with people out of Illinois and Iowa etc........

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    WI, MI or Ontario.

I know that a 788lb black bear was killed about 40 miles west of Appleton, WI this fall. That's one big bear.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    After doing some research online, it looks like Wisconsin and Michigan both have a lottery system. So I may try to get in the drawing. If I won a tag in either state, that would help me determine where I would hunt. The other option, though it is a bit further away, is Maine. It looks like I can just buy a bear liscense online for Maine. I may also look into Canada a bit more, but I would prefer to stay in the US.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I visited my property in MN in August. There were so many wild raspberry patches. As well as service Berries think wild blueberry. They were mostly ripe. Had breakfast off the bush. When I went back in October, all the bushes were picked clean and it looked like something big rolled in them!! I am looking foreward to hunting those black bears. But MN is a lottery state as well. At least that is all I have to pay for there. Cabin on property now

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Thanks! This is great info. If you hunt in Canada, can you take your own rifle? Also, are their any issues taking the meat or hide across the border back into the U.S.?

Yes, you can take your own non-military style weapon. (Basically no ARs.) Bolt action, lever action, pump, or semi-autos that don't look like the media maligned "assault rifles" are fine. You will need to pay a $25 fee to bring your firearm(s) into Canada. You can print out the form long beforehand and be ready at the border. Have you weapons and ammo stored separately and easy to access when you hit the border. The border guards can be nice or gruff. After hearing the stories I even removed my bolt and stored it separately. No pistols are allowed at all.
    Once you are in Canada you will need proof that you are allowed to hunt in the USA so bring an old or current hunting license. Along with the bear license you are required to buy a Canada hunting card. The card is good for two years.
    You will also need to pay a $50.00 transport fee to remove the bear and its parts from Canada.
    Just an FYI, a blueberry bear, one that has been eating on blueberries, is very good tasting and well-worth having butchered and eating. Two hundred years ago black bears were highly prized for their protein and fat.
    The laws in Canada seem to change from year to year so it would be best to visit the official Canada booth at the Indianapolis Boat, Sport, and Travel Show in February and pick up a copy of their regulations.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    Yes, you can take your own non-military style weapon. (Basically no ARs.) Bolt action, lever action, pump, or semi-autos that don't look like the media maligned "assault rifles" are fine. You will need to pay a $25 fee to bring your firearm(s) into Canada. You can print out the form long beforehand and be ready at the border. Have you weapons and ammo stored separately and easy to access when you hit the border. The border guards can be nice or gruff. After hearing the stories I even removed my bolt and stored it separately. No pistols are allowed at all.
    Once you are in Canada you will need proof that you are allowed to hunt in the USA so bring an old or current hunting license. Along with the bear license you are required to buy a Canada hunting card. The card is good for two years.
    You will also need to pay a $50.00 transport fee to remove the bear and its parts from Canada.
    Just an FYI, a blueberry bear, one that has been eating on blueberries, is very good tasting and well-worth having butchered and eating. Two hundred years ago black bears were highly prized for their protein and fat.
    The laws in Canada seem to change from year to year so it would be best to visit the official Canada booth at the Indianapolis Boat, Sport, and Travel Show in February and pick up a copy of their regulations.

Thanks! Ill look into this a bit more. It doesn't seem as bad as I thought it would be.

Top Bottom