• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Randrayla

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Anyone have any job advice? Looking in the Greenfield, east side of Indy area.

I have a really crappy work history from just being young and stupid. Most of my jobs I have only stayed at for 2-4 months. I also have a lot of gaps from going to school off and on. I could just never decide what the heck I wanted to do.

So now I'm 24 and my wife wants to go to school. I was in school until December 2011. No degree as I changed my major so many times. I've been looking for 2 months now and I'm having no luck. I've only got 3 interviews, and I've gotten rejection letters 2 days later after each interview.

Each interview seemed to go well, but I guess once they get a good look at my history they just think I'm not worth it.

I'm ready to kick butt and try to start a career somewhere, even if it means working up from the bottom. I've screwed around too long and I'm serious about working hard now.

If anyone has any ideas or advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Randrayla

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    What kind of schooling do you have?

Its all over the place. I have some criminal justice courses, information technology courses, a lot of the general education type courses (English, math, science).

Honestly willing to crawl around in a sewer if it was a job.

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    Its all over the place. I have some criminal justice courses, information technology courses, a lot of the general education type courses (English, math, science).

Honestly willing to crawl around in a sewer if it was a job.
    try the pipefitters if you really are willing to crawl around in a sewer, try the ironworkers if hair grows on your chest.

test for plumber aptitude: have a group of men stand in sewage up to their necks, start throwing rocks, the ones that duck are the plumbers.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone have any job advice? Looking in the Greenfield, east side of Indy area.

I have a really crappy work history from just being young and stupid. Most of my jobs I have only stayed at for 2-4 months. I also have a lot of gaps from going to school off and on. I could just never decide what the heck I wanted to do.

So now I'm 24 and my wife wants to go to school. I was in school until December 2011. No degree as I changed my major so many times. I've been looking for 2 months now and I'm having no luck. I've only got 3 interviews, and I've gotten rejection letters 2 days later after each interview.

Sometimes it may require you to work your way up to a position. That would involve getting jobs where you can prove your stability and your ability to be a reliable employee. That may be an uphill battle but not impossible.

Each interview seemed to go well, but I guess once they get a good look at my history they just think I'm not worth it.

I'm ready to kick butt and try to start a career somewhere, even if it means working up from the bottom. I've screwed around too long and I'm serious about working hard now.

If anyone has any ideas or advice I would greatly appreciate it.
    You need to be able to explain your work history in your interviews in a way similar to how you addressed them here. Turn it into a positive. "Yes, there were some gaps, but I was in the process of discovering the career I would find both challenging and could excel in. That's why I'm confident that I'm the right person for this position." Something along those lines. A good defense is a good offense. Of course, make sure whatever reason you use is honest and not just something that sounds good. You want to find the right fit and being stuck in a job and/or career that you hate will make for a miserable life.

Also, getting rejections is part of the process. Not all rejections are bad. Sometimes they save you from a job you'd have hated anyway, plus the more interviews you go to, the better you become at them. Take something away from each interview and improve it on the next one (how you speak, how you dress, questions that were asked, etc). Make a mental note of the questions and write them down later. Then have answers for them on the next interview. Also, google interview questions. The net is full of them. Be able to address those before they are asked of you.

Randrayla

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    try the pipefitters if you really are willing to crawl around in a sewer, try the ironworkers if hair grows on your chest.

test for plumber aptitude: have a group of men stand in sewage up to their necks, start throwing rocks, the ones that duck are the plumbers.

Good idea. I'm actually going on Monday to apply for an electricians apprenticeship. Not confident that it will go that great due to my work history but I've got to try. Seems like an apprenticeship would be good for me as I would be earning a wage and learning a trade instead of just sitting in a classroom not supporting my wife.

I'll look into plumbing. Not sure I have the intestinal fortitude for ironwork!

The problem I have with interviews is so far they haven't asked about my work history. Just the typical behavioral/situational questions. Maybe I need to be more assertive and steer the conversation in that direction.

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    you're 24 with a wife, now is the time to settle down and get with the program. 90% is showing up every day no matter how you feel and on time.
    shave, get a haircut and if you've got **** sticking out of your face pull it out

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Have you considered the military? You may love it and make it a career. If not, you will demonstrate an ability to start and finish something (dedication), which is important when attempting to get a job.

Randrayla

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Have you considered the military? You may love it and make it a career. If not, you will demonstrate an ability to start and finish something (dedication), which is important when attempting to get a job.

I actually joined the Coast Guard. Went to boot camp, then got discharged and sent home during forming week due to dental reasons. I need a bridge and the Coast Guard will only pay for so much dental work. I looked into having it done myself but the cost was around $8,000!

Having said all of that maybe its time I look at the other branches since they don't have such strict dental requirements.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You'd be amazed at how a crappy job can develope into a good career. 13 years ago, I started out as a laborer in a factory with a huge turnover rate. There were many times I wanted to leave and find something better but it never worked out.

I started out at $10.95 an hour and soon became a welder for about $1 more an hour. 6 years later, I got in the maintenance trainee program and just last week, started in the automation department. Next week, my employer is sending me to Cleveland for a week for robot training all expenses paid. I'll likely get other classes this year. I'm currently at $22 an hour with pretty good benefits. I made just under $75k last year with overtime.

I've seen so many come and go at this factory in my 13 years there. Some will leave for a nickel more somewhere else. Some will leave because they don't like their boss. Some will leave because they don't like the work they're doing. They never stick it out long enough anywhere to get enough seniority in to advance themselves.

If I get laid off from my current job, I'm thinking about working at Walmart and setting a personal goal of being in management within the first 2 years. Show up every day, be willing to do what you're told whether you want to or not. Look and act professional. Perform above your pay level. Why would the employer want to advance you if you aren't worth at least as much as you're already being paid.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    what he said^^^^^. I would never promote one of my guys if they missed work all the time.

Neither would I hire anyone who switches jobs every 6 months. You have to figure out a way to explain your job jumping. If the interviewer says "anything else you'd like to add?" Have a well rehearsed explanation of how you are willing and ready to settle down and do what it takes to make a strong committment to their company. Dress NICELY and shave...shine your shoes too. Believe it or not some of us look for these qualities before the interview even begins.

Don't explain your job jumping by saying your boss was mean, the overtime sucked etc....simply accept and state that you were young and dumb, but now ready for a real COMMITMENT. Good luck.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    At your point in like I'd say you have to start at the bottom,, take any job you can geet with a company that has room for you to advance and then work it. Do whatever job you take to the best of your ability every day. Don't try to draw attention to yourself it will come. Just being there and being willing to to whatever you are asked is the first big step.
    Never say Thats not my job, it is.
    When the oportunity comes along to advance even if it means changing companies go for it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    At your point in like I'd say you have to start at the bottom,, take any job you can geet with a company that has room for you to advance and then work it. Do whatever job you take to the best of your ability every day. Don't try to draw attention to yourself it will come. Just being there and being willing to to whatever you are asked is the first big step.
    Never say Thats not my job, it is.
    When the oportunity comes along to advance even if it means changing companies go for it.

This. Most companies advance from within. They want to promote people who already understand their system. Go to McDonald's and be the best damn fry cook they've ever had. After a month or 2, ask to be trained on another area. Within a year, you should know how to do every job in that store proficiently. If a low level manager position opens, who are they going to promote? They want someone who knows all of the positions and shows up every day.

Seriously, one can not stress enough the importance of attendance. My employer hires temps. If you have a pulse and show up every day, you have a 75-95% chance of getting hired on in 90 days. I'd be surprised if 20% are hired on within 6 months due to turnover or attendance. There are jobs in there that are tiring but if you stick it out for at least a week, you get used to it.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    Good idea. I'm actually going on Monday to apply for an electricians apprenticeship. Not confident that it will go that great due to my work history but I've got to try. Seems like an apprenticeship would be good for me as I would be earning a wage and learning a trade instead of just sitting in a classroom not supporting my wife.

I'll look into plumbing. Not sure I have the intestinal fortitude for ironwork!

The problem I have with interviews is so far they haven't asked about my work history. Just the typical behavioral/situational questions. Maybe I need to be more assertive and steer the conversation in that direction.

Change this part of your attitude, as well. If you can't just flip the switch on it (so to speak), fake it til you make it. People pick up on things like that, and it affects how they feel about you.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Lowes at 25th and post off of 70 in Indy, Home Depot either in greenfield or 70 and post road... they are all gearing up for the spring/early summer seasons. This is how I got started at lowes. They can be a good company to work for, but they won't put up with the ones that just want a paycheck and do nothing to earn it....

If you want something that has perks if you ever leave... try getting a job as a bus driver... get your class b cdl thru them... you can take that else where later.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    When I got married about a million years ago, I had just lost my job. I worked crappy jobs all that summer...installing furnaces, selling crap door to door, sweeping floors, washing cars, anything for a paycheck...the local bank placed an ad looking for a printers assistant, and claimed to be entry level. I had taken exactly one class in high school to do with lithographic offset printing...that had been almost 4 years prior. So before I went to the bank and applied I went to the library and checked out two books on offset printing and darkroom procedures. I read as much as I could for three or four days and went to the bank. It took three interviews and about a month to get that low end trainee job that paid a whopping $565 a month gross in 1979. I stayed at that job for 18 months, and then moved to an internal position as warehouse supervisor, doubling my crappy pay...stayed at that for a year and then transferred to an internal job working as a collector for Master Charge, which paid a couple hundred a month more than the warehouse job...all in all I worked at the bank for almost 5 years. During that time I took a couple of years worth of college classes at Indiana Central College (now U of I) and the bank paid for them.

Sometimes even for the bottom end jobs you have to go do some prep work on your own. You have to appear to be a better investment than the other guys trynig out for the same job.

I've been working in IT since 1984, five different employers...it's a good field because you get to forget everything you know and learn all new stuff about every 3-5 years. If you don't stay on top of it, you get left in the dust. Nothing is easy.

Randrayla

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    It sounds like you qualify for disability under the Obama administration. Might as well go for it like millions of other Americans are doing. :xmad:

Thanks for the helpful advice.

I actually do qualify for food stamps and "cash assistance" but I refuse to get them. I'm in this situation by my own doing not anyone else.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I do keep a clean shaven face, cut my hair once a week, and shine my shoes. So at least I have those bases covered.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I'd say keep an eye on shipping/receiving jobs. They're (were) usually available and it doesnt take too much to get your foot in the door that way

Top Bottom