• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Just found out tonight that the outdoor unit of our heat pump system (14 years old; came with the house) is shot, and we will need to replace it and the indoor coil (changing over from R22 to 410A) at a minimum. The company we have our service contract with is setting up an appt to come out and give us some options/quotes, but I figured it would be prudent to get estimates from other sources, as well.

So... can anyone recommend a company to call (my folks used Godby a couple years ago and got a great deal), or could anyone who works for an HVAC company hook a brother up with an INGO discount? :D

Thx.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    I have a friend who has done this for 30+ years but mainly does commercial. He did however replace mine cheap as hell so I can see if he needs some business and send him your way. I will contact him tomorrow.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Are you going back in with a heat pump? I realize the indoor air handler and coil are probably setup for this, but wonder if a direct replacement is actually the right thing to do. Here's my :twocents: on the subject:

1. The compressor is running all the time (either heat or AC). Increased wear & tear.
    2. At cold ambient temperatures there is not much heat energy in the air for the heat pump to pull from. In effect, you get colder discharge air temp's out of the register.
    3. Any supplemental heat (if electric) is more expensive to run, than say LP or natural gas if the furnace is so equipped.
    4. Any equipment w/ R-22 is now ancient history, so you're stuck with one of the more exotic refrigerants and their funky required oil.
    I think if I was doing this I would go with an ultra-hi efficiency outdoor unit that uses less electricity during the summer when electric power is at the highest cost and a form of gas (LP or natural) for the heating. Probably LP if I could so that the tank could be filled in the summer when the fuel costs are lower.

OK, maybe that's a nickles worth instead of :twocents:, but it might be something to consider. Not trying to sell equipment so I don't have a horse in the race. Just what I would consider...

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I just went with Chapman, and feel like I got a good deal. I'll PM you the INGO handle of someone who contacted me a bit too late.

+1 for Chapman. I used them when complete system replacement was required on 2 apartment properties, where I was the Maint Super and HVAC senior tech. They are fair and competent.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    INGO'er DocIndy is an HVAC guy.

He might could do some "side work", or one of his co-workers.

He REALLY really really helped me out when I was in a bind last fall. IE> coldest temps of season and my HVAC blower relay burned out = no heat.

-J-

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Without trying to threadjack this, anybody have the same recommendations for somebody just a bit south of Bloomington? My evaporator has a VERY slow leak. I have to recharge my system about once every year or two. I'd like to get it corrected.

Bates Mechanical screwed me over on the last re-charge so they are definitely out of the question. Any INGOers, or their friends/family/etc, or any good recommendations.

Shooter, sorry if this is seen as a thread-jack you can move it, or just let me know and I'll start my own thread.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Without trying to threadjack this, anybody have the same recommendations for somebody just a bit south of Bloomington? My evaporator has a VERY slow leak. I have to recharge my system about once every year or two. I'd like to get it corrected.

Bates Mechanical screwed me over on the last re-charge so they are definitely out of the question. Any INGOers, or their friends/family/etc, or any good recommendations.

Shooter, sorry if this is seen as a thread-jack you can move it, or just let me know and I'll start my own thread.
    Durham Heating and Cooling in Ellettsville, 812-876-1097. He's done work for my family in the past. Reasonable prices, helped them out a couple of times during emergencies on Sundays and nights. Been in the business for ever and knows his stuff.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I'm here for my fellow INGOers. :D PM me with some contact info and what your looking for and I'll see what I can do for any INGO members. I do commercial HVAC work by day and lots of residential side work in my "free" time. The comercial company I work for is one of Indy's largest so we get great pricing from our distributors. For anyone brand specific I can get just about anything you want. Boilers, waterheaters, geothermal, gas furnaces, electric furnaces(fan coils), heatpumps or air conditioners.... I can get it all. And just a FYI... a dual fuel system (heatpump with a gas furnace back-up) are great if you already have gas. LP is slowly creaping up in price and the cost to go from electric to LP can be expensive. (New gas line, new flue, and electrical to make a gas furnace work.) New heat pumps (R410A) put out really warm air. I just did a heat pump/gas furnace for a friend and he can't be happier. As fas as the leak repair...there are some new products on the market to seal the system like fix-a-flat for air conditioners. The charge would still need to be checked/adjusted once the product is in the system.

Let me know if I can be of assistance to anyone.

DocIndy

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    i work in the hvac business and have been for the last 25 yrs. i can do replacements cheaper and with the same quality as the next guy. for a member of this group i would be willing to do trade plus cash. i can give a very good deal with 10 yr warranty

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Thanks, everybody! I am going to wait until the company brings us info and quotes for systems appropriate for our home; that will give me an idea of what we need, and then I'll go to my INGO brothers for pricing. :)

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Well, just to complicate matters....

I've been using a local guy for the last 5 years or so. Does residential work and does it well. Local to us (right there in Camby) too. Stellar service and competitive pricing. Let me know if you want his contact info when you get to that point.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    After reading the posts I still wonder if a heat pump is a cheaper route than a 90+ furnace and a 14 seer A/C. Seems that electric use can exceed gas use costs. I only have the gas furnace/ac combo so will be looking to upgrade soon.(20yrs old, runs well) Indiana winters seem to require a gas furnace to be used in Dec-March. A setback stat greatly saves energy but you shouldn't exceed 6-8 degrees or it does take a while to recover.(is that saving?) The rebates appear great, but the out cost is high. Overall insulating seems a better way with doors, windows, attic, etc. Would a private wind mill direct enough current/service to cut back on Nipsco? Just thinking out loud about some issues. Good luck which ever route you go.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    If the house already has a heat pump and fancoil, there is a really high probability there is no gas service available at the residence. Unless the homeowner wants to have a gas furnace converted to LP and start a service with a LP provider, the gas furnace option is probably out. Not saying it wont happen, because I know it sometimes does...my dad did just this because he wanted to feel warm heat from a gas furnace. I will admit, new R410A heatpumps do seem to put out much warmer air than the old R22. If overall energy savings is your goal, most definately look at other heat loss/gain areas like windows and doors as well as insulation. Its kind of hard to keep a space heated or cooled when its full of holes.

***ALSO note the 2011 federal energy tax rebate has changed...last year you could qualify for a $1500 credit but this year it has changed depending on what equipment you have installed.

Top Bottom