• ...and so much more!
  • mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Hey Ya'll.........
    My wife brought home both these Winchester shotguns from her parents. The first one is a Winchester 101barrel shotgun, which was her grandfathers.It looks flawless, bore looks great, ingraving is really nice. Just a few little nicks on the stock, but nothing major.
    The other is a Winchester 37 she shot when she was a yongin' it aswell looks really nice, wood has a nice shine. No nicks in the stock.
    Just looking to get any info from ya on when they might of been made, value ( not for sale) any history. ....
    Thanks Happy New Year

Will post pics. The app I use isn't uploading

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    2nq711v.jpg

drflhl.jpg

2nq711v.jpg

50gsis.jpg

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    Nice......I shot trap in the late 60's with my dad's Model 101. And one of my best friends has a 37A that he's carried for years when we've gone out shooting.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Classics that set the standard for today's guns. Both are prize guns and need to be treated and valued as such. Nice.
    My dad gave me a 37 when I was 10 yrs old. That's well over 50 yrs ago. I still have it and it still shoots and looks fantastic. NO WAY I'll ever sell it.
    I've shot the 101 many times. Great guns. I wish I had one for myself.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Does the model 37 have the Winchester name in red on the bottom?

The reason the red label is important is there were no real records keep as to when they were made and red label means pre 1948. The were made 1936-1963. Great polishing on the inside of the barrels. The other major factor was the pigtail hammer on the first two years 1936 and 37.

The 101 is what I used to us quail hunting. Light and balanced for a two barrel.

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Does the model 37 have the Winchester name in red on the bottom?

The reason the red label is important is there were no real records keep as to when they were made and red label means pre 1948. The were made 1936-1963. Great polishing on the inside of the barrels. The other major factor was the pigtail hammer on the first two years 1936 and 37.

The 101 is what I used to us quail hunting. Light and balanced for a two barrel.

Where on "bottom" should I be looking. I didn't see any red stamping

Allenicomp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Carmel Indiana
    As halfmileharry said, both guns are classics...especially the Model 37. These guns have been one of the most prized guns for "Turkey Shoots" or "Shooting matches" where guys shot for prizes - beef, pork, money. These matches entail etching an X somewhere on a foot square piece of plywood with a knife. Shooters then line up behind a firing line and all shoot at their respective boards. They may pay to shoot only one shot or as many as ten at their board. Each shot costs additional. The boards are all evaluated and the one pellet that is closest their X wins.

Model 37s developed the reputation of placing the "most shot on the board". These guns, particularly with 30 inch + full choke barrels became legendary and highly sought. I remember going to these 50 years ago with my grand father. I believe that some communities still hold these events.

Per the 101, this was the first "nice" skeet gun I purchased. Beautiful, well made gun. Only complaint I had was that it was a 12 gauge and kicked like a mule.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    Back in the early 1960's I had a Model 37 12 ga. 30" full choke that kick like a mule. Used it mostly for shinning rabbits and and turkey shoots. Our turkey shoots used 5"x5" white card board with a cross in the center. The lines ran from edge to edge vertically and horizontally. One shot per card at a $1. a shot with the winner coming the closest to the intersection of the cross. If there was a tie then shooter who had the most number of shot that broke the lines won. If no shot touched a line then there was a shoot off. Guns were not limited just to shotguns. Rifles, pistols, BP guns, what ever a shooter wanted to shoot. My dad would always buy 20 tickets and give them to me. We never missed having a turkey for Thanksgiving and Christmas and I usually won enough to give each of dad's employees a turkey. One shoot I won 19 turkeys off of 20 tickets. Before the shoot was over, my old 37 was the only gun being fired on the line. I had to leave to go back to work, loaded down with turkeys. I left my gun in the care of a Jaycee club member helping out with the shoot. That night he brought my 37 to me all cleaned and without a scratch. He said they had more shoot offs and made more money off the shoot than they ever had. (If you were in a shoot off, it cost you for another shot or you could concede and drop out. That was never heard of because the odds of winning were greater with less shooters). Lot of fun, back in the day.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There have been lots of WIN 101's made and I have seen lots of them shot at skeet ranges. There was a period of time when there was some kind of structural integrity issue during a production change. There was some sort of recall in the mid 90's. I know they also had a 1001 for a while. If it were mine, I would look into it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom