• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I have a few questions for an electrician about installing a meter socket. Does there happen to be one on here that I could ask a few questions?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I thought I was the only one that did that. Out squirrel hunting, I was sure this bush and fence wouldn't be electrified. Knocked me flat on my back, pissing a fountain all over myself. The "3rd rail" mythbisters wasn't as enjoyable as other found it. Been there, pissed that.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I am wanting to know what size of lead in wire I need for a 200 amp service. The meter socket is less than 6' from the service panel. Does this need to be in conduit all the way from box to box? Also I have been told I need 2" pvc conduit for the feed line from the transformer out of the ground into the meter socket. How deep below ground level does the pvc need to go and do I need to put a 45* or 90* on it pointing to the trans?
    Do I need a ground wire and rod? If so from where?

465guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2008
    Are you kidding?

I thought I was the only one that did that. Out squirrel hunting, I was sure this bush and fence wouldn't be electrified. Knocked me flat on my back, pissing a fountain all over myself. The "3rd rail" mythbisters wasn't as enjoyable as other found it. Been there, pissed that.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    It must be electrical project weekend.... I just replaced the post lamp out front and I couldnt get the photo-eye to operate correctly. So of course I was wiring it up hot:bash: and it would just stay lit. I left it that way to ponder the hook up and then it went out, and it came back on at dusk. If its off in the morning and comes on tomorrow night then I will call it a victory!!!:rockwoot:The whole time my teenager is holding the lamp up in the air so I can connect the wires and he's giving me crap that I'm going to kill us both...... well we lived for another day.... so far.

Anyhow, when we added a junction box to wire some 220 for baseboard heaters ina room addition it was run thru conduit for code.....

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    you'll need 2/0 copper or 4/0 aluminum entrance cable for the run from the meter base to the service panel. if the run stays in a wall, you just need bushings to get from the outside to the inside. the entrance cable is made for this. if you don't have a ground, you'll need a copper rod, in the ground, near your meter base, but it bonds to the service panel. i believe a 5/8 in diameter rod is available at home centers. as for the pipe, just get a stick of pipe and a hub (connects the pipe to the meter base) and the power company will take care of that for you. you really don't know how deep until the service is hooked up anyway. has your service panel and meter base been inspected? without the green tag, the power company likely won't hook you up. hope this helps.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    Thanks guys. I picked up some 2/0 copper today and I need to get the conduit in the am. The trenching contractor said no need for an inspection or permit due to it being an existing service and we are just adding a meter at the house which had been fed from the meter at the barn.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    Oh and by the way I have peed on an electric fence not 1 time but 2 times. My uncles were mean to me, it is a wonder I am still alive.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Photo eyes and electric fences....

Success!!!:rockwoot:

My post light went off in the morning and came on again tonight. Speaking of the electric fences, as kids we used to take the long grass, feed it to the cows and as they were chewing we would set the ends on the electric wire..... their lips would move like Mr. Eds.... minus the peanut butter..

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Thanks guys. I picked up some 2/0 copper today and I need to get the conduit in the am. The trenching contractor said no need for an inspection or permit due to it being an existing service and we are just adding a meter at the house which had been fed from the meter at the barn.

if you are feeding what amounts to a subpanel from the barn, why are you using a meter?

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I am moving it due to the distance from the barn to the house 900'. The barn was there first and the rest is a very long story concerning the building commission and a father in-law that was giving advice. I will now have a meter at the house and a meter at the barn 2 completely different services.

Top Bottom