• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldshotty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2022
    Indiana
    That sounds like fun, nuisance birds can be a lot of fun during the summer months when there is no other hunting.

Last edited:

wisboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Crown Point 46307
    30-40 years ago, before the bird flu killed a lot of crows and others. I did quite a lot of crow hunting.

My caller played records. We would set up under a box culvert on a frozen creek, put up my Owl decoy inna a dead tree, put out a couple crow decoys and hang a sheet from the box culvert. We were behind the sheet. It worked great.
    Now my Owl decoy had the old Flatfish hooks that latched on to anything, in the ears. The hooks would swing around and operated in about a 3-4 " radius.
    Now ,you would know if you ever hunted Crows with an Owl Decoy, that the Crows would take a swipe at the Owl as they flew by. Sometimes the hooks would get a bit of the Crow and that would be mayhem.
    Now, one old Crow hit the Decoy pretty hard...and he was caught for good by the hooks. Now it was Grand Mayhem.
    We shot a good bunch , until my novice partner got so excited he shot the wounded Crown and Decoy.
    Ruined the set-up ....but I laughed my ass off.

wisboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Crown Point 46307
    Another Crow Hunting Story ....got a 22-250 in a Browning Safari ....it was one holer at 100 yds.

I would sneak near a field where a farmer was working the ground , when everything was plowed.

There would always be a Crow or 2 hanging out.
    In sight of the farmer I would make a shot and the Crow would kinda blowup a bit.
    After 1 or two of these shenanigans ....the farmer would get off the tractor and examine the Crow.
    Walk away scratching' his head .....farmers didn't know chit about varmint cals.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    When I get the call they are in sweet corn, I do.
    Use a cheap FoxPro and a hand call.
    It’s fun as hell. Got my brother and son into it now too. Took the whole shop out one afternoon after work.
    They’ve been thin around the sweet corn the last couple of years. I may have educated them lol.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I take a couple/three a year with the M-Rod. I'm hoping to add a 30 cal PCP to the mix to reach out to a hundred plus and take those laughing bastards that think they have me figured out.

:@ya:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    At one time my dad lived in a farm house surrounded by corn fields, the crows soon learned that they would get shot if they stayed at a certain distance from my dad's shop, so they started staying right at about 100+ yards away, at the time a far shot for my .22. My dad had just purchased a Mini-14, and had a scope attached and just bore sighted, not actually sighted in.. the crow flew in and sat about 200 yards away.... Dad hit that crow the first shot, cold bore... that was neat..

KARP

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2020
    Nwi
    First time I hunted them my buddy set up his caller, they started coming in from what seemed like a half mile away. I learned a valuable lesson, never shoot the lead bird or what I was told was actually was a scout. Well I did. Had to move and set up in another area.
    Damn smart birds.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I will crow hunt off and on.Where I deer hunt at , I just buy a bag of whole kernal field corn and dump it , put crow fight on caller and here they come.When they cant find a fight,they see corn and go for it,pick them off for a short time , then they leave , but some will hang around , and I get second chance.I put a game camera nearby and I come back next day to check it , and read time stamp when the other critters come by to snack,then I know when to come back.

drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I used to hunker down 200 to 400 yards away from a garbage station before the sun would come up with my 220 Swift. The crows would disappear in a purple haze. Also, that became the name of that rifle.

Top Bottom