Any Bowling Pin Shoots near Martinsville?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Any bowling Pins shoots near Martinsville that I don't need to be a member to shoot in?
    I like shooting pins so bad my hands start to shake...which may explain my low ranking...

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    You might be allowed to shoot the pins matches at Martinsville Conservation Club if you attend with a member.

They may have changed the rules recently.

Certainly one of the members will post a reply soon.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Does anyone know how MCFG handles gun classification at these events?
    Specifically, Is there a rimfire class, and does it distinguish between open and optic sights? My son and I are thinking about going on the 28th but I'd hate to see him shoot his .22 against production (9mm +) guns.

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    We sometimes shoot a 22 only match as the last bracket of the day.

Other than that 22's are not part of the mix.

If a shooter is shooting 38 special or 9mm, we consider it a minor caliber and the pins are placed in the center of the table. (one foot closer to the back than the major caliber pins) Most shooters use 45s. Is a physics thang.
    We have the minor caliber rule to allow more participation from those who prefer to compete with smaller calibers.

Optical sights are awarded an extra pin, as are compensators.

It is unlikely that we will shoot pins this month.
    We have implemented a 40 degrees rule.
    If the temperature at starting time is 40 degrees or warmer, we will shoot pins if it is not raining. (38 degrees is close enough, but 36 is not)
    Below 40 degrees we shoot steel plates instead.
    Pin life when temperatures are below 40 degrees is too short to be practical.
    We waste too many pins too quickly.

We prefer to shoot pins whenever possible, but odds are from November through March we are more likely to shoot steel plates.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Browndog:
    Thanks, you've saved us a lot of frustration.

Martinsville separates their pin shoots into 3 classes - rimfire, centerfire handgun, and revolver. The rimfire class is nice because my son and girlfriend can participate (they do not like shooting .45s). Perhaps MCFG could consider adopting this format?

Regardless, once it warms up, a contingent from Bloomington will likely be showing up at your pin shoots. Thanks again for the details.

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    m_deener

glad to help

We welcome the delegates from Bloomington.
    Do wait a few months for warmer weather so its worth the drive.

I've shot pins at Martinsville. Had a great time. Nice folks.

It is unlikely that we will change our format to include 22's in the centerfire matches (we have discussed this option in the past). Who knows, maybe some day.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Martinsville separates their pin shoots into 3 classes - rimfire, centerfire handgun, and revolver. The rimfire class is nice because my son and girlfriend can participate (they do not like shooting .45s). Perhaps MCFG could consider adopting this format?

guessing you didn't check the link?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    You said "Perhaps MCFG could consider adopting this format?"

MCFG have a similar format listed in their rules, and agreed, it's hard to find.

As I read it, Browndog was describing Martinsville, I was trying to help with what was available on MCFG, but I'm exhausted and may have missed it.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    You said "Perhaps MCFG could consider adopting this format?"

MCFG have a similar format listed in their rules, and agreed, it's hard to find.

As I read it, Browndog was describing Martinsville, I was trying to help with what was available on MCFG, but I'm exhausted and may have missed it.

MCFG = no class divisions for rimfire or revolver

Martinsville starts with rimfire, then move on to centerfire auto, then revolver. Shooters can bring more than one gun/shoot in more than one class.

That's the format I suggested for MCFG - it would be more inclusive and it'd be fun to shoot more than one gun. But I'm sure MCFG has reason for keeping the format as-is.

Thanks for trying to help though... I do appreciate it.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    MCFG = no class divisions for rimfire or revolver

Found in the Intro.pdf

Centerfire pistol matches:
    Five pins per table (set three feet from the back edge), iron sights only, no comps, start with seven rounds
    max in the gun, seven rounds max in extra magazines or speedloaders. Straight porting without an
    expansion chamber is allowed. Optical sights or comps start with six pins, optical sights plus comps start
    with seven pins. Single elimination, $2 entry per match. We now place the pins in the middle of the table
    for shooters of 9mm and 38 special firearms.

“Pinheads” .22 cal pistol matches: last bracket of the day
    Five pinheads (just the top 4 or 5 inches of pin) per table (set three feet from the back edge), iron sights
    only, no comps, start with seven rounds max in the gun, ten rounds max in extra magazines or
    speedloaders. Straight porting without an expansion chamber is allowed. Optical sights or comps start
    with six pins, optical sights plus comps start with seven pins. Single elimination, $2 entry per match. We
    allow larger calibers, however, they are generally not competitive with the 22s.

Rimfire (open) “King-of-the-Hill”: Note: only occasionally – not shot every month
    This course was initially set up for iron-sighted, 10-shot .22 semiauto handguns. Larger calibers may be
    used. Shooters start with five pins set at the rear edge of the table. (Optical sights or comps start with six
    pins, optical sights plus comps start with seven pins.). Guns may have 10 rounds total, spare magazines
    10 rounds max. The winning shooter stays up, and has an additional pin added to his table. When we
    shoot rimfire rifles, we use the same rules. $1 entry, shoot until you loose.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Found in the Intro.pdf

Browndog:
    "We sometimes shoot a 22 only match as the last bracket of the day.

Other than that 22's are not part of the mix."

And, there are no "divisions" - the .22 games, which, as I understand it, are rarely held, are different games.

Last edited:

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    m_deener

There are no plans at this time to alter our operating procedure at the Bowling Pin Program at Marion County Fish & Game Association.

The Martinsville matches are run the way the guys in Martinsville choose to run them. It seems to work fine for the volume of shooters that regularly attend the Martinsville matches. I suspect that when those numbers increase (and they will), some changes will be made to accommodate the increased number of participants.

I hope you will be able to attend one or more of our matches in the future. Although considering that our current format is not child and girlfriend friendly to you, I suspect that you may choose not to attend.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    m_deener
    I hope you will be able to attend one or more of our matches in the future. Although considering that our current format is not child and girlfriend friendly to you, I suspect that you may choose not to attend.

I look forward to attending your matches. It was just a polite suggestion... honestly, I'm sorry I ever brought it up. I'll probably attend the match next month.

Top Bottom