• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    OK, I'll admit it, I am a bookworm and a history nut. Any avid readers on INGO? Constantly read.

In the past, read everything on 18th century exploration, history, Indians, longhunters, etc...and built a huge collection of obscure antiquated books. Got heavily into historical trekking and even did a presentation years ago at Prickett's Fort School of the Longhunter on accouterments and clothing.

Then moved into WW2 and read everything I could on that time period. Moved on to Vietnam and devoured that era.

Now with a son in the ARMY, I'm into current military. Need a recommendation for a new book. Just finished "Outlaw Platoon", which I highly recommend. Already read "Fearless" (excellent) and "American Sniper" (good), read most of the various SEAL books. No and haven't read am not going to read the book about the operation that killed Bin Laden (I have my reasons). Need something good on war in Afghanistan (already read WAR by Sebastian Junger).

Recommend away, please.

Dirty Steve

Todes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    If willing to step out of your comfort zone, I suggest "The Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher. It's a sci-fi / fantasy read set in Chicago that follows a Wizard who is a private investigator.

If you love a smartass type of comedy then you'll love the series! I've read it about 4 times now and can't wait for the next one to come out.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    577 items on the Kindle. Easily that and more on bookshelves. Yes, it's safe to say I'm a bookworm.

I'd recommend stepping out of the military history genre.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    WW2
    A Higher Call (German fighter pilot in an Bf 109 refuses to shoot down a shot up B-17 and steers him out of harms way. They meet 25 yrs later. True story.
    Unbroken Italian- American captured by Japanese in the So Pacific survives all kinds of adversity. Becomes a well known war hero.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I love to read. I have thought about writing. 2 years ago I had an Idea for a book. I should have written it. Because some of my idea is happening. I enjoy various books. Sci-Fi, Historical fiction. Non Fiction, Spy , whatever. Some of my favorite authors, E.R. Burroughs, Ted Bell, Poe, R. Holdstock, P. Sweeney, F. Herbert to name a few

Last edited:

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    I have been reading a lot latley. Lots of books by Navy Seals and USMC snipers. When I finish Seal Team Six (book my a Team Six Sniper) I have Chris Kyle's book to ready looking forward to it.

nineball481

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    post EMP survival... Real "eye opener"

One Second After by William R. Forstchen
    Story takes place immediately following the detonation of several EMPs over the United States. Story follows a man in a small mountain town trying to keep his family safe and healthy.
    The book was written using real information and scenarios with the help of the military.

I suck at describing books, movies, stories, ect... read the sample and you'll be hooked, I promise.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Lone Survivor is a good book about Afghanistan and is a true story. If you're into military fiction, I read anything written by Brian Haig or Vince Flynn. I avoid anything newer with Tom Clancy's name on it, although I love to read and reread his older stuff. I think Clancy started running out of story ideas with "Debt of Honor". I also like legal fiction from Grisham and intrigue by Davd Baldacci, and biographical stuff.

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I agree with the Vince Flynn recommendation! Brad Thor is also very good at writing faction books.

For Vince Flynn, start with his very first book Term Limits. I can safely say that this book would never be approved for publishing today, and we'll never see a movie made out of it either.

http://www.amazon.com/Term-Limits-Vince-Flynn/dp/1439148104/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357474896&sr=1-1&keywords=vince+flynn+term+limits

After you finish that one, he has a series based around the character Mitch Rapp. I believe there are twelve or thirteen novels now and I'm thinking it's book #11 that is in the process of being made into a movie. The character Stan Hurley will be played by Bruce Willis. All of Vince Flynn's novels are faction based around the CIA and special ops.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Read Lone Survivor 5-6 years ago when it first came out. It too is being made into a movie as we speak in New Mexico and Arizona.

Not into fantasy at all. Keep the suggestions coming folks. Really want to stay in current military for now. I read things in "themes" and that's where I'm at now. Will move on when I think I have covered everything good on that theme. That's just how I roll.

Dirty Steve

nineball481

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Love me some Michael Crichton

Michael Crichton wrote many books based off of science and factual data. He definitely takes some creative liberties but also cites all of his factual data.

Favorites include:
    Jurassic Park / Lost World (the movie, in no way, resembles the book)
    State of Fear - thriller that is set in a global warming crisis (that Crichton debunks)
    Pirate Latitudes - postmortem release. A fun, fast read about a pirate heist.
    The Great Train Robbery - historical fiction account of the great train robbery in the 19th century.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    This is an old book but it is hard to put down once you start reading it...

The Cuckoo's Egg: Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer Espionage by Clifford Stoll - true story

Published in late 80's....1989 I think.

Top Bottom