• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I have an odd request:

I rec'd a 50ct box of 9x19 for Christmas. Sweet!

Until I was told that it was reloads.

Now, I've nothing against reloads. I just don't want to shoot them in MY guns, since I'm not the guy who reloaded them and I didn't watch the guy who did.

Weird request:

If I compensate you for the powder, would it be possible to pull the bullets (115gr FMJ as far as I can tell. MAY be plated. I'll find out for sure) and then "re reload" them with new powder in such a way that I CAN observe and be 100% sure that there's not an overcharge or undercharge?

Any of that make any sense? :n00b:

Thanks,

-J-

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Thats a lot of work for 1 box??

If the bullets were pulled+Powder dumped, then they would have to be resized (for case tension), with the decap stem pulled (to save the live primer). Then chamfered, powder dropped, bullet seated+crimped.

You may be $ ahead to partial trade someone for factory loads, or TRUSTED reloads.

Are the reloads that you received "Name Brand", or not? I, like most, would SLOW fire a few, check for operation/signs of pressure+go from there. There is more chance of a squib load then there is for a too high of pressure load in a 9MM in my experience...Bill.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I hate it when things are more trouble than they're worth! HAH!

Not name-brand reloads. They're home-brews.

The guy who gave them to me, Bill, is a guy I trust. He only does things on a single-stage press and he visually checks the powder levels in each case before seating the bullets. He said that he measures the powder throw on his scale the first two cases and the last two per 50 rds.

But...but...but... something about firing reloads that I didn't either do myself or witness being done that makes me a bit uneasy.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I'm just west of Waverly, off 144. If you want to come over, you can dismantle those and load up with a known recipe at my place. It is hardly worth it for 50 rounds, though, unless you'd just like to see how the magic happens, when reloading?

By the way, I don't blame you on not trusting anyone's reloads...I don't, either.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I'm just west of Waverly, off 144. If you want to come over, you can dismantle those and load up with a known recipe at my place. It is hardly worth it for 50 rounds, though, unless you'd just like to see how the magic happens, when reloading?

By the way, I don't blame you on not trusting anyone's reloads...I don't, either.

I am glad you clarified how the magic happens...:rolleyes:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

I've never reloaded a thing in my life, nor have I ever even witnessed the process in person. I "know" how it's done, just never done it. I need to examine my scheduled the next few weeks. I may very well be in touch via PM. Waverly IS a lot easier for me to get to from my house than stinky Shelbyville. :D

Why not just weigh each round to check for deviation?

I could certainly do that...if I had a scale.

I DO have access to a very very very very nice microbalance at work - but I don't have access to that room before a certain time, and I can't afford to stay later than everyone (kid, wife, family stuff). Plus, I don't know how me weighing ammo at work would look on me. :n00b:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why not just weigh each round to check for deviation?

Don't know if I'd trust that...

Depending on the quality of the brass and bullet used, the variance there alone could easily be a grain or so... In a small capacity case such as 9mm, the difference between the starting and max load in a faster burning powder might be as little as a half grain...

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Don't know if I'd trust that...

Depending on the quality of the brass and bullet used, the variance there alone could easily be a grain or so... In a small capacity case such as 9mm, the difference between the starting and max load in a faster burning powder might be as little as a half grain...

And if they all DID weigh exactly the same, that just means they might all be a dangerous load.

I mean, the simple truth is that his buddy probably loaded some perfectly safe ammo. He could almost certainly go shoot it and everything would be fine. Heck, if he's got a +P rated gun and it's standard ammo, it could even be a little hot and it wouldn't matter. But, reloads are just one of those things where I would have to KNOW it was right, instead of trusting someone that doesn't do it professionally.

nj4020

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Apparently you don't trust your reloader as much as you say. Is he the one who gave them to you? Be honest with him, either give them back and say "thanks but no thanks" or better yet, get him to prove them in his gun.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Apparently you don't trust your reloader as much as you say. Is he the one who gave them to you? Be honest with him, either give them back and say "thanks but no thanks" or better yet, get him to prove them in his gun.

This. I had a friend afraid of my reloads. I had given him several boxes but never saw them when we went shooting together. Eventually I noticed he had about 500rds of my handloads in a box at home. He said he was worried about running them through his gun. I said that's perfectly reasonable and gave him one of mine. After he ran the lot through my pistol, he's been willing to run my handloads through his.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I didn't give them back:

A) It was a Christmas gift. Wasn't going to give them back or "conveniently forget them". Politeness / manners is a big deal in this world, especially to me, no matter what others may do/say/think.

B) Guy lives in far northern Illinois - and I'm not driving the 5 hours back there to hand them back.

C) When it comes down to it, it's just 50 rounds of 9mm. Not like it's anything super expensive and/or exotic.

I've had more than one offer to let me "fix" these rounds - haven't yet taken anyone up on the offers. With a toddler at home, a busy teacher wife, and kid #2 due at the end of Feb... I'm a generally busy guy!

-J-

Top Bottom