• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    As a new Dan Wesson pointman7 owner, I wondered if there are any other DW 1911 owners out there? So far I'm very happy, I've have made a couple trips to the range to shoot a box or two through it and get the sights lined up for my eyes. I was checking out the DW area on 1911FORUM and it seems most folks are opting for the CBOB. I wanted the slightly longer sighting radius and adjustable sights for myself. Any experience with the valor, patriot or older pm-1 etc?

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I have several 1911-style pistols, 2 Sigs, 2 Kimber Series 1's, and I just picked up a DW CBOB. The CBOB is tighter than any of the others, every bit as accurate, and has a much better trigger. I'm very pleased with it. Currently working at getting it into the carry routine, with just over 1K fault-free rounds thru it.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Got the Patriot. What a hand cannon. Shoots great and I am well pleased with it. Bought it when DW introduced it under new ownership. When I ordered it I spoke to the president of the company prior to their merge with CZ. That told me something about what to expect when I actually got the gun.
    One of my favorite 1911's. Hope you like yours.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I got mine thru Whittakers Guns in Owensboro, KY. I still haven't seen a better price. If you're gonna be at the 1500, I'll bring mine down so you can have a look. I'll be there Sat morning shortly after opening, and will PM you my cell # if you're interested.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for the offer, but I won't be at the show.

I need to visit Whittaker's some day. I keep hearing about it and I shoot matches at the Owenboro R&P club frequently (just south of Lewisport), but I've never been to Owensboro proper.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I first saw and handled one that belonged to a fellow shooter. I ordered mine through KS&E on Pendleton Pike. Ed made me a better deal than I could find elsewhere in town and even beat several places online that usually have good prices. I suggest you go talk to Ed & Darrell

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have several 1911-style pistols...<stuff deleted> ...Currently working at getting it into the carry routine, with just over 1K fault-free rounds thru it.

That's a pocketful of pistol for carry, no doubt. Do you find that the bobtail makes that big of a diff for carry? ...know what you mean about needing to get more rounds thru it. So far so good with Remington, Fiocchi, WWB and my hand loads. I have had success with a few hundred hardball and some Hornady XTP's. I'll feel ready for bowling pins and IDPA once I get thru a thousand. I really like it so far. Just need more quality time at the range! :)

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I've carried a Commander-sized pistol for many years, and the CBOB tends to print, and snag clothing less than a standard pistol. It's all steel, so the weight is the same. It's interesting how much of a different (better) "feel" I get with that little corner cut off. I like it. :yesway:

per request.....

bobtail.jpg

Last edited:

mpholic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    I have a Pointman in 10mm. Pre CZ. As long as it was working I loved it. Very comfortable to shoot and very accurate. I preferred it over my Springfield Loaded .45ACP.

Problem was/is one day at the range I was shooting it and the front part of the slide flew off. It apparently had a hairline crack in the slide that i never saw. I had it apart many times and inspected it very closely but I never saw the crack. DW has agreed to repair it but I have yet to send it in.

A friend of mine ordered a bobtail about a year ago and had numerous problems with it. They finally told him him to send it in and they would fix it. They returned it to him repaired with a not so friendly letter about how they were doing him a favor by repairing it. This surprised me as I had always heard their customer service was quite good. I never had any problems with them when I talked to them.

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I was there and saw mpholic's Pointman break...! I'd never seen anything like it.

My CBOB did give me a lot of ejection issues at first that required me sending it back to DW. They gave me a hard time about installing an ambi safety saying it "voided my warranty" and they fixed it out of "kindness". Real nice. The ejection issue had nothing to do with the thumb safety. They ended up replacing the extractor and fireing pin stop as well as tuning the ejector.

Anyway...many, many rounds later it runs flawlessly and is a really nice gun. I do still get the creeps though thinking about mpholic's slide cracking in half though...

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have a Pointman in 10mm. Pre CZ. As long as it was working I loved it. Very comfortable to shoot and very accurate. I preferred it over my Springfield Loaded .45ACP.

Problem was/is one day at the range I was shooting it and the front part of the slide flew off. It apparently had a hairline crack in the slide that i never saw. I had it apart many times and inspected it very closely but I never saw the crack. DW has agreed to repair it but I have yet to send it in.

A friend of mine ordered a bobtail about a year ago and had numerous problems with it. They finally told him him to send it in and they would fix it. They returned it to him repaired with a not so friendly letter about how they were doing him a favor by repairing it. This surprised me as I had always heard their customer service was quite good. I never had any problems with them when I talked to them.

I'm on the DW subforum on 1911Forum.com - 1911 news, reviews, and more! and many folks there have had very positive experiences with their customer service. I would absolutely send it in, and I think they will take good care of you. There are a couple DW employees that are on the DW forum and you can contact them directly about your problem/questions etc.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom